21 replies to this topic

#1 mac3

mac3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

Does anyone know if Pledge furniture polish is gluten-free? My daughter complains every time about her hands itching and headaches. I just want to make sure that it's a legitimate complaint and that she's not just trying to get out of doing chores!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hez

hez

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:49 AM

I have no idea on the gluten status. However, I use this all the time and do not have a problem. But I also try to only touch the dry part of the rag and not get the polish on me.

Hez

#3 kristinagaro

kristinagaro

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hello! I came across this topic when I was curious about the same thing the other day. I couldn't find any information on the internet, so I wrote SC Johnson, and within 24 hours got 3 replies.
After I gave them the codes on the bottle, they wrote me back and this was their reply:

Hi again, Kristina.

We searched on UPC 46500 72375, and can verify that this Pledge® cleaner it is NOT FORMULATED to contain: Gluten, Barley, Wheat, Rye or Oats.

Additionally, you can learn more about our ingredients at WhatsInsideSCJohnson.com.

If we can assist further, we'd welcome a reply.

Kind regards,

Denise
Consumer Relationship Center
SC Johnson, A Family Company

USA 1-800-558-5252 | scjohnson.com
Canada 1-800-558-5566 | scjohnson.ca

This was from the Pledge Dust and Allergen.

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

If you aren't going to eat the stuff, which I hope you aren't, it really doesn't matter.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 kristinagaro

kristinagaro

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Actually, for some Celiac's, like myself, who are highly sensitive to all gluten, including the plant itself without the gluten (for example, the grass of wheat), it does matter. If I even breathe in hairspray (which usually has wheat protein in the ingredients), I get violently ill. Headaches, vomiting, blurred vision, etc... Not all Celiac's are like that, I know, but I am, unfortunately. My doctor even recommended I check which type of paper towels I was using because some contain gluten.

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

Hairspray is different because you are spraying it around your face and will undoubtedly breathe some of it in. Then it gets in the back of your throat where you will wind up swallowing it. Furtiture polish though, I spray it on the item I want to polish and my face isn't anywhere near it. And it usually doesn't spray in that fine mist that will get into the air the way hairspray does.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

My doctor even recommended I check which type of paper towels I was using because some contain gluten.

eek!  what brand is that??!!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

I've never heard of a paper towel with gluten, but I know some of them have corn. I checked into it and found out that Bounty doesn't have corn and that's what I have always used anyway, for years and years. But has anyone else noticed lately that they aren't like they used to be? They separate into two layers and are not nearly as strong as they used to be. I even wrote to them and complained. All they said was they were sorry I was dissatisfied and sent me some coupons. So I bought some more and they are still thin, fall apart, and frankly, I'm going to check to see if Brawny has corn because if it doesn't I'm going to switch.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#9 kristinagaro

kristinagaro

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

I've never heard of a paper towel with gluten, but I know some of them have corn. I checked into it and found out that Bounty doesn't have corn and that's what I have always used anyway, for years and years. But has anyone else noticed lately that they aren't like they used to be? They separate into two layers and are not nearly as strong as they used to be. I even wrote to them and complained. All they said was they were sorry I was dissatisfied and sent me some coupons. So I bought some more and they are still thin, fall apart, and frankly, I'm going to check to see if Brawny has corn because if it doesn't I'm going to switch.

Brawny contains gluten. Those are my favorite paper towels and the ones I had to stop using. Scott does not contain gluten (or Bounty), but Scott paper towels are not very soft or absorbent. Viva are also gluten free but I'm not sure about the corn.

#10 kristinagaro

kristinagaro

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

eek! what brand is that??!!

I was using Brawny, the only decent and affordable paper towels on the market. Gluten free paper towels are Viva, Scott and Bounty. I am not sure about any more. Mardi Gras and Brawny definitely have gluten in them (holds them together). People say you don't have to worry about it, but when you wipe your mouth with your napkins or paper towels, particles of those towels get on your lips. If you are highly sensitive, this is not a good thing!

#11 kristinagaro

kristinagaro

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Hairspray is different because you are spraying it around your face and will undoubtedly breathe some of it in. Then it gets in the back of your throat where you will wind up swallowing it. Furtiture polish though, I spray it on the item I want to polish and my face isn't anywhere near it. And it usually doesn't spray in that fine mist that will get into the air the way hairspray does.

I completely agree, but if I am going to make sure everything in my environment is gluten free (like my doctor stated), then I don't want anything in my air or on my furniture to contain it either. I think it would be silly to introduce that to my home for no apparent reason. So, I made sure, and since there were other people wondering on here, I figured I'd post the response I got. :-)

#12 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

Brawny contains gluten. Those are my favorite paper towels and the ones I had to stop using. Scott does not contain gluten (or Bounty), but Scott paper towels are not very soft or absorbent. Viva are also gluten free but I'm not sure about the corn.

How do you know Brawny contains gluten? This is getting a bit silly, you don't eat paper towels. You don't eat Pledge. At least normal folks don't .

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#13 kristinagaro

kristinagaro

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

How do you know Brawny contains gluten? This is getting a bit silly, you don't eat paper towels. You don't eat Pledge. At least normal folks don't .

No need to be insulting. You obviously don't have reactions with paper products. Some people heat food up on their paper towels, wipe their mouths with them, etc... This causes particles of the paper towels to get in their mouths. So does spray flying around in the air (in the eyes, breathing it in, in the mouth, etc...). Highly sensitive people have reactions to things like this. Have a nice day!

#14 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

Karen is not saying this to be insulting.  She is trying to prevent the spread of misinformation.  One thing to do when you have a food allergy is you should always question the source of information, it can go both ways in preventing illness and preventing unneeded hubbub.

So, may I also ask, where did you hear that Brawny contains gluten?  If I could verify that a paper towel/napkin contained gluten, I also would not use it.

Also, with what the OP was about, a lot of cleaners and furniture polish are just full of irritants.  Even if they say for sensitive skin or fragrance free they can still cause skin and respiratory reactions in people like me who just seem to be sensitive to everything.  When I use any cleaner I either use gloves or use a big enough paper towel wad that my hand doesn't get soaked in the liquid.  I also breathe out while spraying and walk away for a few seconds (especially with 409 which I use to clean up after preparing chicken).

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:42 AM

I'd like to see the evidence that states that gluten is in paper towels pleas?.

Color me very skeptical, but I am always eager to learn. If there is a valid source for the info, we would appreciate it.

Edited by IrishHeart, 04 February 2014 - 10:46 AM.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: