This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pledge Furniture Polish

mac3

mac3 Apprentice

Does anyone know if Pledge furniture polish is gluten-free? My daughter complains every time about her hands itching and headaches. I just want to make sure that it's a legitimate complaint and that she's not just trying to get out of doing chores!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

I have no idea on the gluten status. However, I use this all the time and do not have a problem. But I also try to only touch the dry part of the rag and not get the polish on me.

Hez

• 7 years later...
kristinagaro Rookie

Hello! I came across this topic when I was curious about the same thing the other day. I couldn't find any information on the internet, so I wrote SC Johnson, and within 24 hours got 3 replies.

After I gave them the codes on the bottle, they wrote me back and this was their reply:

Hi again, Kristina.

We searched on UPC 46500 72375, and can verify that this Pledge® cleaner it is NOT FORMULATED to contain: Gluten, Barley, Wheat, Rye or Oats.

Additionally, you can learn more about our ingredients at WhatsInsideSCJohnson.com.

If we can assist further, we'd welcome a reply.

Kind regards,

Denise

Consumer Relationship Center

SC Johnson, A Family Company

USA 1-800-558-5252 | scjohnson.com

Canada 1-800-558-5566 | scjohnson.ca

This was from the Pledge Dust and Allergen.

kareng Grand Master

If you aren't going to eat the stuff, which I hope you aren't, it really doesn't matter.

kristinagaro Rookie

Actually, for some Celiac's, like myself, who are highly sensitive to all gluten, including the plant itself without the gluten (for example, the grass of wheat), it does matter. If I even breathe in hairspray (which usually has wheat protein in the ingredients), I get violently ill. Headaches, vomiting, blurred vision, etc... Not all Celiac's are like that, I know, but I am, unfortunately. My doctor even recommended I check which type of paper towels I was using because some contain gluten.

bartfull Rising Star

Hairspray is different because you are spraying it around your face and will undoubtedly breathe some of it in. Then it gets in the back of your throat where you will wind up swallowing it. Furtiture polish though, I spray it on the item I want to polish and my face isn't anywhere near it. And it usually doesn't spray in that fine mist that will get into the air the way hairspray does.

notme Experienced

My doctor even recommended I check which type of paper towels I was using because some contain gluten.

eek!  what brand is that??!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I've never heard of a paper towel with gluten, but I know some of them have corn. I checked into it and found out that Bounty doesn't have corn and that's what I have always used anyway, for years and years. But has anyone else noticed lately that they aren't like they used to be? They separate into two layers and are not nearly as strong as they used to be. I even wrote to them and complained. All they said was they were sorry I was dissatisfied and sent me some coupons. So I bought some more and they are still thin, fall apart, and frankly, I'm going to check to see if Brawny has corn because if it doesn't I'm going to switch.

kristinagaro Rookie

I've never heard of a paper towel with gluten, but I know some of them have corn. I checked into it and found out that Bounty doesn't have corn and that's what I have always used anyway, for years and years. But has anyone else noticed lately that they aren't like they used to be? They separate into two layers and are not nearly as strong as they used to be. I even wrote to them and complained. All they said was they were sorry I was dissatisfied and sent me some coupons. So I bought some more and they are still thin, fall apart, and frankly, I'm going to check to see if Brawny has corn because if it doesn't I'm going to switch.

Brawny contains gluten. Those are my favorite paper towels and the ones I had to stop using. Scott does not contain gluten (or Bounty), but Scott paper towels are not very soft or absorbent. Viva are also gluten free but I'm not sure about the corn.

kristinagaro Rookie

eek! what brand is that??!!

I was using Brawny, the only decent and affordable paper towels on the market. Gluten free paper towels are Viva, Scott and Bounty. I am not sure about any more. Mardi Gras and Brawny definitely have gluten in them (holds them together). People say you don't have to worry about it, but when you wipe your mouth with your napkins or paper towels, particles of those towels get on your lips. If you are highly sensitive, this is not a good thing!

kristinagaro Rookie

Hairspray is different because you are spraying it around your face and will undoubtedly breathe some of it in. Then it gets in the back of your throat where you will wind up swallowing it. Furtiture polish though, I spray it on the item I want to polish and my face isn't anywhere near it. And it usually doesn't spray in that fine mist that will get into the air the way hairspray does.

I completely agree, but if I am going to make sure everything in my environment is gluten free (like my doctor stated), then I don't want anything in my air or on my furniture to contain it either. I think it would be silly to introduce that to my home for no apparent reason. So, I made sure, and since there were other people wondering on here, I figured I'd post the response I got. :-)

kareng Grand Master

Brawny contains gluten. Those are my favorite paper towels and the ones I had to stop using. Scott does not contain gluten (or Bounty), but Scott paper towels are not very soft or absorbent. Viva are also gluten free but I'm not sure about the corn.

How do you know Brawny contains gluten? This is getting a bit silly, you don't eat paper towels. You don't eat Pledge. At least normal folks don't .

kristinagaro Rookie

How do you know Brawny contains gluten? This is getting a bit silly, you don't eat paper towels. You don't eat Pledge. At least normal folks don't .

No need to be insulting. You obviously don't have reactions with paper products. Some people heat food up on their paper towels, wipe their mouths with them, etc... This causes particles of the paper towels to get in their mouths. So does spray flying around in the air (in the eyes, breathing it in, in the mouth, etc...). Highly sensitive people have reactions to things like this. Have a nice day!

LauraTX Rising Star

Karen is not saying this to be insulting.  She is trying to prevent the spread of misinformation.  One thing to do when you have a food allergy is you should always question the source of information, it can go both ways in preventing illness and preventing unneeded hubbub.

So, may I also ask, where did you hear that Brawny contains gluten?  If I could verify that a paper towel/napkin contained gluten, I also would not use it.

Also, with what the OP was about, a lot of cleaners and furniture polish are just full of irritants.  Even if they say for sensitive skin or fragrance free they can still cause skin and respiratory reactions in people like me who just seem to be sensitive to everything.  When I use any cleaner I either use gloves or use a big enough paper towel wad that my hand doesn't get soaked in the liquid.  I also breathe out while spraying and walk away for a few seconds (especially with 409 which I use to clean up after preparing chicken).

IrishHeart Veteran

I'd like to see the evidence that states that gluten is in paper towels pleas?.

Color me very skeptical, but I am always eager to learn. If there is a valid source for the info, we would appreciate it.

w8in4dave Community Regular

I love Viva paper towels. I hope they don't contain Gluten or Corn because when I sneeze I grab a paper towel. And believe me I sneeze 10 times in a row! Who'd of thunk it? Corn in paper towels?

Gemini Experienced

Actually, for some Celiac's, like myself, who are highly sensitive to all gluten, including the plant itself without the gluten (for example, the grass of wheat), it does matter. If I even breathe in hairspray (which usually has wheat protein in the ingredients), I get violently ill. Headaches, vomiting, blurred vision, etc... Not all Celiac's are like that, I know, but I am, unfortunately. My doctor even recommended I check which type of paper towels I was using because some contain gluten.

I would be interested in hearing how you know that you are sensitive to the whole wheat plant as opposed to the gliadin portion of it, which is what we celiacs have to be careful about ingesting.  You have contradicted yourself by saying you are highly sensitive to all gluten, including the portion of the plant without gluten.  That makes no sense.  In addition to that, many hairsprays actually do not contain a wheat ingredient.  You have to read the label but it is not a given that wheat is in hairspray.

If your doctor is telling you to be careful of paper towels because of gluten, I would most definitley find a new doctor.  He/she has poor knowledge of Celiac Disease.  Paper towels are not a concern, even for the most sensitive among us, of which I am one. 

Laura did a great job of explaining spray from cleaners and I do the same things as she does when cleaning because who wants to inhale cleaners........gluten or no gluten!  :rolleyes:

kristinagaro Rookie

To reply to everyone in general...

I did not say that Bounty supposedely has gluten in it, but that Brawny does. Bounty is supposedely gluten free. My friend, who also has Celiac's reacts every time she cooks her food on Brawny paper towels. She stopped using them and the symptoms went away. In order for me to know for sure, I wrote Brawny, but I have yet to receive a reply. She told me she has contacted quite a few companies. She told me which paper towels are supposedely gluten free. I decided to listen to her.

I cannot have any part of the wheat or barley plant because I react to them. Even if an item is labeled gluten-free, and it has barley or wheat grass in it, I react to it...in a very bad way. They offered to have me tested for an allergy to the plant itself, but I told them no. I just decided it would be best to stay away, because obviously there's an issue there.

The hairspray I was using, and the other three bottles all of the girls I was around were using, both times I reacted, all had wheat protein in them. That's why I had an issue. I was in a small room with them, but the issue still stands. I reacted. Bottom line. It does happen.

Thank you for your responses. I hope I clearned any confusion up. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

kareng Grand Master

To reply to everyone in general...

I did not say that Bounty supposedely has gluten in it, but that Brawny does. Bounty is supposedely gluten free. My friend, who also has Celiac's reacts every time she cooks her food on Brawny paper towels. She stopped using them and the symptoms went away. In order for me to know for sure, I wrote Brawny, but I have yet to receive a reply. She told me she has contacted quite a few companies. She told me which paper towels are supposedely gluten free. I decided to listen to her.

I cannot have any part of the wheat or barley plant because I react to them. Even if an item is labeled gluten-free, and it has barley or wheat grass in it, I react to it...in a very bad way. They offered to have me tested for an allergy to the plant itself, but I told them no. I just decided it would be best to stay away, because obviously there's an issue there.

The hairspray I was using, and the other three bottles all of the girls I was around were using, both times I reacted, all had wheat protein in them. That's why I had an issue. I was in a small room with them, but the issue still stands. I reacted. Bottom line. It does happen.

Thank you for your responses. I hope I clearned any confusion up. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

So....you are saying....Brawny has gluten but you have no proof for this rumor?

This discussion is really running off into a ditch ( having a snow storm here :) ). If paper towels were a gluten issue, the experts would warn us against them. I have not seen any warning against them. If you are ingesting paper towels and believe that they are making you sick - don't use them. If you wipe your face and they make you break out - don't use them. These are not gluten/ Celiac issue. We have been presented with no evidence that wheat is added to paper towels.

kareng Grand Master

Just a little more info:

This does not say anything about checking your paper towels for gluten. Would think they would mention that if it was an issue.

Open Original Shared Link

"What’s the best way to keep my kitchen countertops gluten free?

Sponges are not only a large source of bacteria, but are also very likely to spread gluten around the kitchen! Use paper towels and disinfect surfaces frequently."

bartfull Rising Star

The wheat grass/barleygrass thing is understandable, but it is not that the grass itself contains gluten, but because it is most likely cross-contaminated. If it is harvested on the same equipment and stored in the same bins as the grains (which it most likely is) it will be contaminated. Just about everyone here agrees that we should not consume those grasses because of this.

I looked up brawny paper towels and found quite a few older (2006, 2007) articles that said it had gluten in the glue they use to stick it on the roll so they suggested that we don't use the last few sheets. But those are old articles and because corn is so much cheaper, they most likely use a corn based glue now - just like the glue on envelopes - gluten is not a problem but if you have a corn intolerance and you lick the envelope you will get sick.

mbrookes Community Regular

I, too, am skeptical. If a person can't give a source for information, they may not have a dependable source. About the spread of incorrect information... I spent the first year of being gluten free doing without a lot of products that are really harmless, due to incorrect information. For that reason I always look for the source of gluten charges.  

Archived