This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could My Hypoglyceimia Be Caused By Celiac Disease?

Sarah8793

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

I am not positive yet that I have celiac disease, but my hunch is yes. After years of being lactose intolerant and getting more sensitive to milk as I get older along with many other symptoms, I have decided to go gluten free (3 weeks now) to test. I have had the bloodwork done (some of the antigens were positive) and the endoscopy came back negative. I am 36 and was just diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I truly believe that something has caused my hypoglycemia and that it isn't independent. My question is, have any of you had hypoglycemia on your road to diagnosis AND after going gluten free, did the hypoglycemia go away?

Thanks!

Sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Katie O'Rourke Rookie
I am not positive yet that I have celiac disease, but my hunch is yes. After years of being lactose intolerant and getting more sensitive to milk as I get older along with many other symptoms, I have decided to go gluten free (3 weeks now) to test. I have had the bloodwork done (some of the antigens were positive) and the endoscopy came back negative. I am 36 and was just diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I truly believe that something has caused my hypoglycemia and that it isn't independent. My question is, have any of you had hypoglycemia on your road to diagnosis AND after going gluten free, did the hypoglycemia go away?

Thanks!

Sarah

Hi. Me and my dad both had this problem before being diagnosed and years later still have it - just have to keep dextrose tablets to hand at all times in my purse. You should also note that hypoglycaemia can be casue by diabetes, and type 1 is linked to coelia, as theyre both autoimmune diseases.

But you may want to try eating more foods with magnesium in them, as a magnesium deficiency can cause problems with converting your blood sugar into energy. (Apples, dark green leafy veg, almonds, grapefruits, are among some fo these foods - you can always google for more).

Good luck with sorting everything out :)

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

Thanks Katie,

I have often wondered about magnesium's role in my overall health picture. I need to eat more of the foods you listed anyway. :)

Sarah

Hi. Me and my dad both had this problem before being diagnosed and years later still have it - just have to keep dextrose tablets to hand at all times in my purse. You should also note that hypoglycaemia can be casue by diabetes, and type 1 is linked to coelia, as theyre both autoimmune diseases.

But you may want to try eating more foods with magnesium in them, as a magnesium deficiency can cause problems with converting your blood sugar into energy. (Apples, dark green leafy veg, almonds, grapefruits, are among some fo these foods - you can always google for more).

Good luck with sorting everything out :)

Katie O'Rourke Rookie
Thanks Katie,

I have often wondered about magnesium's role in my overall health picture. I need to eat more of the foods you listed anyway. :)

Sarah

no pronlem :). If you ever want to talk or have any questions, feel free to email me: katie_orourke_11@hotmail.com

hope things improve soon :)

Gillian Newbie

Thanks!

Sarah

Hi

I had real problems with hypoglycemia before being diagnosed with celiac. It did not go away as a result of the diet but it is a lot less bothersome.

clover Rookie

HI! I did have mild hypoglycemia pre- diagnosis and now, it feels like its going away (one month glluten-free)! The highs and lows are a LOT better. The food seems to sustain itself for longer & I dont have those crazy mood swings unless I have wheat in my system! Either way, my dietician said it is common to see improvement in hypoglycemic symptoms once you go gluten-free b/c your body starts to process its food correctly. But do be sure to eat enough protein with each meal to make it sustainable anyway!

Good luck to you.

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I had hypoglycemia before diagnosis and after nearly two years of the gluten free diet, it's about the same as it was before. However, I do find that when I have really low blood sugar, I do feel a bit more desperate about it on the gluten free diet than I did before going gluten free. Sometimes I'm just not near something that I could just quickly buy to stop the reaction--I, too, simply have to keep things in my purse and eat frequently to prevent this from happening.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TCA Contributor

Don't know if it's related, but I have it too. Seemed to really get bad with my first pregnancy 4 years ago and hasn't changed much since.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

Gillian, Clover, NicoleAJ, and TCA,

Thank you for your responses. It is nice to feel I'm not alone with the hypoglycemia, and to hear what your experiences are. I appreciate it. I've been gluten free for almost 1 month and I do see hypo symptoms lessening but not completely gone yet. I'm really hoping my hypo will go away. I feel like I can deal with no gluten better than the hypo diet and symtoms.

Sarah

Thanks!

Sarah

Archived