6 replies to this topic

#1 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 06:52 PM

I have only been gluten-free for a few weeks now, but still get sick occasionally, even when I eat things that I KNOW are gluten-free. It's usually after I eat a dairy product, but it does not happen everytime I eat a dairy product. What should I do?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 08:04 PM

Many people who have had longterm celiac intestinal damage (flattened villi) can no longer digest lactose protein from dairy. I actually discovered I had lactose intolerance (my symptoms: bloating, gas, cramping and occasional diarrhea), before I learned I was celiac. I thought it was family heritage/genetics (American Indian on my dad's side who are usually lactose intolerant). So I started using 'lactaid' supplements when I consumed dairy to digest lactose. However, gluten intolerance later explained my lactose intolerance. Some people are also sensitive to caseine which Lactaid may not help. So I would suggest: (1) If you really like dairy, try 'lactaid' supplements to help digest lactose; or (2) avoid all dairy products (substitute soy milk if you need a form of milk unless you have problems with soy), esp. if you suspect caseine sensitivity after trying 'lactaid' without success. After following a gluten free diet for awhile (to allow their small intestines to heal) some people regain the ability to digest lactose. I'm hoping for that, but won't count on it. <_<

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 10:44 PM

I've heard that lactose intolerance is kind of typical after first going gluten-free. I wouldn't normally expect permanent lactose intolerance in my case, because I have no damage.. just the symptoms.

#4 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:05 PM

cynicaltomorrow -> Did a doctor tell you, you were lactose intolerant, or just assuming you do, since you have a reaction after milk products?

I'm asking, because I thought I was lactose intolerant, because I had bad reactions to milk and icecream, but enterolab's testing said I was intolerant to casein, which is a protein in milk (lactose is a sugar). So if a doctor hasn't told you otherwise, it might be that?

I have no "damaged" to my intestines, bisopsies showed the vili were fine, as it sounds like came up for you? Though I developed bad reactions to dairy a few years ago, use to beable to eat it with no problems. Hoping once gluten-free and healed of problems, I'll beable to again. =)

burdee -> Lactaid sucks! LOL, well maybe since my problem is the casein. Tried the stuff, and felt just as awful as I normally would.

Oh, so cynicaltomorrow.. if you've tried the Lactaid and it worked, then I'd figure casein isn't your problem.

#5 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:56 PM

Alexolua: 'Sorry Lactaid didn't work for you, but that further showed that your problem was with the caseine, not the lactose. FYI there are tastier forms of "lactaid' supplements (the chewable wafers) and terrible forms (tiny pills which just got stuck in my teeth but didn't all get to my stomach). Maybe because Lactaid does work for me (prevent those painful symptoms) that means I don't have caseine sensitivity as well. But just to be safe I ordered the Enterolab milk sensitivity tests along with their test package. I don't know HOW damaged my own intestines are, but I've heard that longterm celiac damage creates the malabsorption problems with lactose as well as fats, proteins, etc. which I DO have.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#6 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:39 PM

Oh, I'm not trying to bash Lactaid if it came out that way, sorry. =)

I just didn't know such a thing as casein existed when I used it, so I thought I was just lactose intolerant and it was a bad product. So I was just joking about it sucking, since I know now it wouldn't work for me.

#7 Mark

Mark

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 12:31 PM

Hmmm, the problem with Lactaid sounds like worrying about sugar in your cake, when you're gluten intolerant. Of course, some people get hard time digesting lactose, but caseine intolerance is no fun at all. To support Alexolua, I had absolutely no troubles with diary in the past, no matter of volume. I'm still pretty sure I could have a gallon of milk, if there was no caseine. I do wonder why Enterolab offers the milk test for free - perhaps another submerged iceberg?

MARK
gluten-free/CF since September 03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: