23 replies to this topic

#1 guitarplayer4God

guitarplayer4God

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:49 AM

Does anyone experience dizziness as part of celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 TiffersAnn

TiffersAnn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:50 AM

Yes! and this is something that I've experienced as a child. My doctors told my parents that I'd have to "get used to" and to "be careful not to get up too fast..." because they said nothing was wrong with me. Since I've gone gluten free my dizziness has seriously reduced, and I no longer get car sick like i used to do.
Tiffany
Gluten-free since Oct '05
Livin', Lovin' and cookin' up a storm...

#3 jennyj

jennyj

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:04 AM

A few years ago I had dizziness so bad they did a ct-scan. It lasted about 2 months then went away. Last week it started again when I get out of bed or when I look up.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#4 dionnek

dionnek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:04 AM

I've always had dizzy spells and occassional black outs. The dr's said it was b/c of my anemia, even when I was taking 3 iron pills a day! I think it is the celiac, although I haven't been gluten-free long enough for it to get any better.....

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:08 AM

I have had gluten ataxia since childhood. I also had low blood pressure and absent reflexes that were never explained. This eventually progressed to serious nerve damage. Almost 4 years gluten-free and almost all nerve damage has healed with most obvious improvement at 6 months. In addition to the iron I would consider taking sublingual gluten-free B12 also. Even before I was diagnosed and became gluten-free the B12 helped a bit.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 kimjoy24

kimjoy24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:30 AM

Yes, I had terrible dizziness a couple of years ago that has slowly resolved over the past year since going completely gluten-free. At first, I was told it was low blood pressure, and I was put on a high salt diet that made me completely ill. I had a MRI done, but like others mentioned, I was told I would just have to live with it. Officially they diagnosed me with positional vertigo. And as someone else mentioned, mine is associated with looking up. I still get bouts of it now and then, especially if I'm in a store with tall shelves, like a grocery store.

I tried the sublingual B-12 but found it didn't really help me. Others have obviously had better results. I was sent to a physical therapist who gave me exercises to do. Most of them are readily available on the Internet. The idea is to challenge and correct your brain signals by engaging in the activity that makes you dizzy. At first, I felt like they were completely useless, but at some point, the dizziness began to resolve itself so perhaps the exercises did some good.
Joy- Midtown Atlanta
Positive Fecal Test Results 6/05
Gluten, Lactose, Casein Intolerant
Severe Fat Malabsorption
Gluten-Free since 6/05

#7 guitarplayer4God

guitarplayer4God

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:05 AM

wow thanks 4 all the replys I thought I was the only one that got dizzy. I've been to about 20 doctors and they could never figure out what was trigering the dizziness I've even been to Mayo clinic and they didn't help either. But I think the dizziness is related to the celiac.

#8 dionnek

dionnek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:37 AM

I have had gluten ataxia since childhood. I also had low blood pressure and absent reflexes that were never explained. This eventually progressed to serious nerve damage. Almost 4 years gluten-free and almost all nerve damage has healed with most obvious improvement at 6 months. In addition to the iron I would consider taking sublingual gluten-free B12 also. Even before I was diagnosed and became gluten-free the B12 helped a bit.

Just curious - do any of you "dizzy people" also have problems getting heart rate readings on machines? My blood pressure has always been extremely low, and I can never get a reading on the heart rate monitors (on exercise equipment, at grocery store, etc. - I know it's not the machine b/c I've had my husband come along behind me and it works for him!). I also have problems with those stupid touch screens at ATMs - it won't read my finger/thumb! One dr. said I had "absent reflexes", and I can't spread my toes, which apparantely you are supposed to be able to do? Very weird.

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:06 AM

Just curious - do any of you "dizzy people" also have problems getting heart rate readings on machines? My blood pressure has always been extremely low, and I can never get a reading on the heart rate monitors (on exercise equipment, at grocery store, etc. - I know it's not the machine b/c I've had my husband come along behind me and it works for him!). I also have problems with those stupid touch screens at ATMs - it won't read my finger/thumb! One dr. said I had "absent reflexes", and I can't spread my toes, which apparantely you are supposed to be able to do? Very weird.

I was always dizzy--to the point where I had some cardiac testing to make sure my heart was ok (it is). I also was anemic--and that was most likely the reason for the dizziness. I still get dizzy if I get glutened. Otherwise, the anemia and dizziness are gone. My doctor has told me more than once that it is hard to get (hear) a reading on my blood pressure--although mine tends to run high. She says the same about my pulse--hard to find and feel. Years ago, a doctor told me I had no reflex in my ankles (?).
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 Susan123

Susan123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:59 AM

On the other side of the coin. I have been dizzy since last july and my mother has been dizzy for 11 years. I am still dizzy after being gluten-free for 6 months. It was determined that mine was Positional vertigo. I went to a ENT doctor who referred me to a Vestibular Therapist. They run many tests but usually can pinpoint the cause based upon eye movements after having you do certain things. I was then referred after it was determined it was positional vertigo (inner ear) to a vestibular therapist who gave me eye exercises to do twice a day. It helps because when I don't do them I get dizzy again. My dizziness is related to headaches and when my eyes move from left to right or up to down in order words from one extreme to the other. I was told it was caused from air pressure of flying and anatomy. I am predisposed due to the shape and size of my ears to have problems... the air pressure loosened these granules that hang off hairs in your ears. When they disconnect they bounce around the sensitive ear drum causing balance issues. Two aunts of mine have it too. So you might want to check it out also in case it is not related to celiac and gets worse.

#11 ArtC

ArtC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

I was dizzy for many years prior to finding out that I had Celiac Disease. I was diagnosed with Dysautonomia, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). I have to eat a very high salt diet. I have been Gluten free almost 4 years and my dizziness is going away. (I had dizziness, very low blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, black outs, couldn't stand for very long, etc.) After many years of trying to find answers, I found the right doctor at Mayo Clinic who knew what was going on and could test me for it. My Celiac doctor says he has several patients with POTS. I think the Gluten had a big part in it.

#12 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:41 AM

Sometimes my "mouse" on my laptop doesn't register my finger. If I put hand lotion on or get my finger wet, it does. Same thing in those elevators that have touch sensitive buttons. Sometimes I have to ask someone else to touch the button.

I have low blood pressure and often get dizzy.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#13 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:07 PM

Yes, yes, yes! I have always been a "dizzy dame!" Yet another of my mystery symptoms that seems to be linked to Celiac-- it's just amazing. I do have rather low blood pressure too, & occasional fainting spells... especially in my teens I seemed to crumple often for no apparent reason. Also when I was pregnant... hmmm, maybe changing hormones are involved now that I think of it.

I'm going on 3 weeks gluten-free (though I think I may have had some glutened vitamins for part of that time) & though the dizziness still bothers me, I'm now looking forward to being rid of it too! Hurray!

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#14 Mandy F.

Mandy F.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

I had some serious problems with dizziness a couple of years ago. I would wake up so dizzy that I would have to crawl out of bed to get my Antivert, take it, wait for it to kick in, then start my day. It took a while, but I finally saw a doctor who figured out that it was just allergies causing fluid build up in my ears. I still get it occaisionally if I'm doing a lot of work outside or something but as long as I take an allergy pill, I seem to be o.k.

#15 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:05 PM

Yes, especially during the time I was suffering from Celiac undxed. A lot of times my vision would black out from getting up too fast. I've also gotten so dizzy and fatigued that I passed out. Now that I'm gluten-free, this has gone down tremendously.

-Ash

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: