This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Got Some Questions About Gf Living.

Alexolua

Alexolua Explorer

Got some questions that would be nice to have answers to. I am trying to look up answers on my own too, and still will be, but figured maybe some of you here could be helpful too. And yeah, not trying to be paraniod about contamination.. even if some of my questions sound otherwise. =)

1) Are any flavorings safe? Malt, Artificial, Natural, others?

-Malt isn't. Not sure about the others.

2) It would be best to buy cookware, utensils, etc.. to be used only with gluten-free products?

-If they are steel, it would be safe to use for both.. I believe.

3) In a non-gluten-free household, would it cause problems to wash the gluten-free and non-gluten-free cookware, utensils, cups, etc.. in the dishwasher at the same time, or no?

4) Using the same sponges for the gluten-free and non-gluten-free cookware, utensils, cups, etc.. would cause problems or no?

5) What about using the same towels to dry them after cleaning?

6) Are paper towels gluten-free?

-Found recipes in which they are involved, so I think yes.

7) Are tissues and toilet paper gluten-free?

-Haven't found anything not saying so..

8) Are juices like Apple and Orange juice gluten-free, or only some (contamination)?

9) What about other juices?

10) Are sugar and salt gluten-free? Or could they be contaminated where they are packaged?

11) Medicines that have gluten in them, is it labeled, or it's there because of contamination?

12) I read somewhere corn syrup could contain gluten because some include wheat in making it, anyone know if that's true?

-Wish I could find that again.

13) Is it say to cook gluten-free meals in an oven and/or microwave that is used for non-gluten-free meals too?

14) Are crystal light and coolaid gluten-free, or are they contaminated somehow?

15) Are Sodas that appear gluten-free, possibly still not safe to drink?

Okay.. thanks for those who read this, and end up replying! =)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JsBaby-G Newbie

Alexolua, I'll try my best to answer them...I've been gluten-free for 8 years & I hope what I've learned the hard way will help.

You're right Malt is NOT safe, both Artificial and Natural can contain gluten you have to check with manufacturers.

2) It would be best to buy cookware, utensils, etc.. to be used only with gluten-free products?

I don't use different cookware except different toaster (cross contamination is an issue) and anything porous such as wooden spoons, cutting boards due to the fact that gluten can hide in the cracks of the wood. I also don't use pans that have scratches in them other than that I haven't had problems.

3) In a non-gluten-free household, would it cause problems to wash the gluten-free and non-gluten-free cookware, utensils, cups, etc.. in the dishwasher at the same time, or no?

It shouldn't matter if you wash them together, I've never had a problem with this but you can wash seperately if you are concerned.

4) Using the same sponges for the gluten-free and non-gluten-free cookware, utensils, cups, etc.. would cause problems or no?

Again due to the fact that sponges are porous I would skip using them on non gluten-free stuff.

Towels should be alright as long as you haven't wiped up crumbs with it or anything.

6) Are paper towels gluten-free?

As far as I know paper towels are indeed gluten-free.

I am pretty sure that both are gluten-free I just skip perfumed ones just to be sure.

8) Are juices like Apple and Orange juice gluten-free, or only some (contamination)?

Citric Acid may contain gluten so I would consult the manufacturer.

9) What about other juices?

I know most McCain juices are gluten-free both I have a problem with indigestion with them so I stay clear.

10) Are sugar and salt gluten-free? Or could they be contaminated where they are packaged? Sugar and Salt should be ok but if you are concerned always consult manufacturer.

11) Medicines that have gluten in them, is it labeled, or it's there because of contamination? Gel caps usually contain gluten and before I take something new I always call the manufacturer and hopefully your MD will only prescibe meds that are gluten-free.

12) I read somewhere corn syrup could contain gluten because some include wheat in making it, anyone know if that's true?

I haven't heard that, but then again I don't use corn syrup.

13) Is it say to cook gluten-free meals in an oven and/or microwave that is used for non-gluten-free meals too? Both should be fine as long as it's cleaned after use. The oven as long as you are using a dish there should be no problem.

14) Are crystal light and coolaid gluten-free, or are they contaminated somehow?Again check manufacturer due to the fact that they contain artificial flavouring.

15) Are Sodas that appear gluten-free, possibly still not safe to drink? Possibly...again Citric Acid is in soda so call manufacturer. I've called Coke and they say their drinks are gluten-free but I try not to drink them alot.

And remember that everyone reacts to contamination differently, what I may react to you might not and vice versa so if you are ever in doubt I just skip it.

Good luck

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Hello! I will try and answer the ones I can. I think I will learn some things from this thread, rar!

I have my own toaster and wash the common things (big knives, tongs, and such) before using them.

The washing process gets rid of some nasty stuff, like the germs of raw meat, so I think we're safe once it's all be washed.

I have had problems using the same rags after they have been used by pthers in my family. I just get a clean one each time for my use. Also, when cooking I lay the things I am using on a towl just so it's not on the counter.

I always use a clean towl to dry everything once washed and keep it off the counter.

I don't belive all are.

10) Are sugar and salt gluten-free? Or could they be contaminated where they are packaged?

If using normal salt and sugar you should be fine.

11) Medicines that have gluten in them, is it labeled, or it's there because of contamination?

I always ask the pharmisist.

Alexolua Explorer

Thanks for the replies you two. And you're right MySuicidalTurtle, I tried to set this up in a way that others can learn too. =)

Hmm.. I forgot to mention about being Casein Free as well.. Enterolab said I should be, so errmm.. any further thoughts that would fit the questions for a Gluten-free Casein-free diet?

Still trying to figure out the gluten-free part.. sorta not thinking about the CF part.. my poor mental health can only take so much! LOL

Again, thanks!

bigapplekathleen Contributor

There is a website with lists of gluten-free prescription and over-the-counter medicines.

Open Original Shared Link

Asking a pharmacist doesn't always work. They don't always know! I have been traveling in remote areas and needed antibioitics, and the phamacist didn't know anything about gluten or celiac and had no idea how to identify ingredients that contain gluten.

I see one of the top nutritionists for celiac. She told me that I don't need to use separate sponges for washing dishes. We rinse the sponge very well between uses and allow it to dry thoroughly between uses. Frankly, though, we use the dishwasher for almost everything and there is rarely gluten in the house. My husband (who is not celiac) eats wheat cereal, but that's the only gluten here. He eats gluten-free foods with me. We eat mostly meat, veggies and fruit. I RARELY buy gluten-free goodies or baked goods.

Separate cookware is not important with one HUGE exception. Do not use cast-iron cookware unless it is used only for gluten-free items. Cast-iron retains the gluten that's been inside of it. I use only heavy-guage stainless steel pans and cutlery. I won't even use non-stick pans, but that's a personal choice because of the coating (not a gluten-free issue).

Nearly all juices which are 100% juice are gluten-free. I buy only organic foods and always choose orange and apple juice that have only one ingredient: the juice!

All Coke and pepsi products are gluten-free.

Alexuloa, go to this website to look at gluten-free product lists, gluten-free drug lists, and questions. The website is for DR Holland, who is a gastroenterologist in Illinois. I see his posts on the celiac list-server all the time. I don't know him, but I use those lists whenever i am shopping for a new item:

Open Original Shared Link

regarding sugar and salt: Plain sugars and salts from the grocery store are fine. However, in restaurants, be very wary. Sometimes the pepper is cut with flour (!) and in restaurants with salt shakers, there can be contamination when refilling. The other thing to be aware of with salt is the IODINE. Many people are sensitive to that, but it has nothing to do with gluten.

Also, one other big suggestion:

I bought a PALM organizer in January. I can read adobe pcrobat PDF files and WORD files, so I put all of my gluten-free product lists on the palm in PDF files or microsoft word files. I use it at the store.

I also installed a diet and exercise program that I downloaded from PALM software website. I keep track of EVERYTHING I eat. This allows me to track protein, fat, carbs, fiber, etc. It also makes it easier to track contamination. I jot down symptoms if contamination happens, and it makes it easy to track the cause. If I stick to a diet of meat, fruit, veggies, contamination is not an issue.

I have many lists of products and ingredients. Email me if I can help, okay?

Kathleen

gluten-free since August 2003

gluten-free, dairy-free, corn-free, multiple food allergies, latex-free (no bananas!)

(MOSTLY PALEO DIET !)

dianne Rookie

Kathleen,

Thank you for the exteemely helpful messe. The information is very hepful. I appreciate it. The palm pilot sounds like a great idea. :D

Dianne

lovegrov Collaborator

Commenting on one thing in the last post -- iodine is not a problem unless you have DH. And even then once the DH is gone, you can resume eating iodine.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

-Malt isn't. Not sure about the others.

You already know that malt isn't. Artificial and natural flavors are questionable, so you have to call the companies. However, on all foods/drinks made by Kraft, they promise that they put something bad, like wheat in parens, so artifical/natural flavors by Kraft are fine unless otherwise stated, and natural/artificial flavors in other foods are questionable and need to be looked into.

-If they are steel, it would be safe to use for both.. I believe.

You are best off buying new cookware and cooking utensils for gluten-free foods. However good a job you use to avoid contamination, you're best off having separate utensils. Be especially careful with anything plastic (containers, measuring cups, or any other plastic utensils -- it's harder to get plastic clean than glass, for instance.

It would not cause problems.

If they're really clean, it shouldn't matter...no gluten if they're already cleaned

-Haven't found anything not saying so..

I have never heard of that, but then again, who sticks toilet paper in their mouth :) .

AJ is gluten-free as long as it's 100% apple juice without any preservatives or weird flavorings or colorings, but you can check the ingredients for that. The OJ I drink, Tropicana, is gluten-free....I drink the one with calcium and would recommend you drink it w/calcium, too...Celiacs can't get enough of it.

You have to be careful about medicines....any could contain gluten...I'd recommend that you consult Clan Thompson's list: you can get a free preview or can buy the full package. Be careful with any prescriptions, too -- you have to check if they're gluten-free.

13) Is it say to cook gluten-free meals in an oven and/or microwave that is used for non-gluten-free meals too?

It's fine to cook them in the same oven...fine to cook in the same microwave, too...just make sure it's on a plate so it doesn't make contact with gluteny residue.

14) Are crystal light and coolaid gluten-free, or are they contaminated somehow?

Crystal Light is fine (they're made by Kraft). I drink it all the time, it's fine. Koolaid I have not checked because I don't drink it.

15) Are Sodas that appear gluten-free, possibly still not safe to drink?

Nearly all sodas are gluten-free...just stick with the name brands (don't buy supermarket colas) and be very careful about root beer.

terri Contributor

Hi! Bigapplekathleen you mentioned you were latex free (no bananas). What do you mean by that? I am allergic to latex. How do bananas figure into that? I have one in my bag for a snack later on! Yikes, should I avoid them? Thanking you in advance.

Terri

Guest Libbyk

what is the problem with root beer?

bigapplekathleen Contributor

Terri,

Bananas are full of proteins that are similar to the proteins in latex. For people with a latex allergy, eating a banana can be a life-threatening activity. Several other foods also cause the same problems. (see the quote below) My suggestion to you is to consult with your allergist or nutritionist. I cannot eat anything made with the foods listed below. I tested positive for food allergies to strawberry, tomato, and chestnuts, in addition to 20+ other foods.

I always got mouth sores, tingling and hives from eating bananas, so suspected an allergy to them. However, I tested negative on scratch tests (which aren't very accurate, anyway). Then after discussing the latex allergy with some other celiacs and with my nutritionist, I found out about the other foods that trigger symptoms in people allergic to latex.

here is a quote from: Open Original Shared Link

"Latex allergy and food

Around half of all people with latex allergy have allergic reactions when eating particular foods, including avocado, banana, chestnut, kiwifruit, passionfruit, plum, strawberry and tomato. This is because some of the proteins in latex that cause latex allergy are also present in these fruits. (A person who is allergic to the manufacturing chemicals in latex will not have allergic reactions to these foods.) Common symptoms include tingling in the mouth, stuffy nose, itchy eyes and wheezing."

Sorry to scare you !

kathleen

lovegrov Collaborator

Some root beer has wheat. I've seen it in ingredients before.

richard

terri Contributor

Thanks for the information! My reaction to latex is a severe rash where contact occured. For example if I wear platex gloves or use a bandaid my skin will break out in a nasty rash. I've never had any other type of symptoms so I must have the chemical allergy you mentioned.

The problem with root beer as I understand it is the malt. Hence the name root beer... There are some gluten free root beers though.

Terri

Alexolua Explorer

Wow, thanks all for the replies. If I don't reply directly to ya, it's just cuz there's so much here. But read everything! =)

celiac3270, yeah that's actually a good idea drinking the Tropicana OJ with calcium (especially since I can't drink milk), actually have that here, though it has added vitamin D.. hopefully that's safe too!

Is there any kinds of Crystal Light you'd recommend? I use to drink that stuff, but the flavors I was getting weren't really appealing to me.

bigapplekathleen thanks for all the info, and I did send an email. =)

celiac3270 Collaborator
celiac3270, yeah that's actually a good idea drinking the Tropicana OJ with calcium (especially since I can't drink milk), actually have that here, though it has added vitamin D.. hopefully that's safe too!

Is there any kinds of Crystal Light you'd recommend? I use to drink that stuff, but the flavors I was getting weren't really appealing to me.

Hi Alexolua,

I'm not a big fan of many of their flavors either. If you want a more "lemonadey" taste, the pink lemonade is okay....I almost always drink the "strawberry kiwi", though...it's the only one that I drink, now.

All Tropicana OJs are safe (+ vitamin D, calcium, whatever). I don't think that I have any medical reason to stay away from milk, but actually DESPISE it (unless it's part of a recipe, or something)....I've never liked to drink milk, so my mom found this to be at terrific alternative. Actually, Tropicana OJ with calcium has MORE calcium than regular milk: 350 v. 300 mg of calcium....and it's so much more palatable to me. Vitamin D is also a good thing to get: Vitamin D and Calcium are both very important for your bones.

-celiac3270

Alexolua Explorer

Thanks for the response and info. =)

Archived