#1 abennis

abennis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:01 PM

Hello,
I am 23 years old and was basically accidently diagnosed with celiac's disease about a month ago. They were looking for something else and discovered through blood work and a biopsy that I have celiacs. I realize that I am very lucky to be symptom free, however, it makes sticking to a gluten free diet VERY difficult. Not only do I have no incentive, but I can't tell if I am unknowingly eating contaminated foods. I am finding plenty of ways eat gluten free at home that are both tasty and easy. My real problem is dining out. I keep reading that indian cuisine and sushi are relatively safe options. I know that I have to stay away from most soy sauces, but what about the suaces that come with the eal and spicy tuna rolls? I am also confused about which curries and sauces are safe in Indian restaurants? Are the any standards that are generally safe? Or do I have to find out the indgredients at each restaurant? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am still feeling pretty lost in this whole process :unsure:
Thanks!
Aimee

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:12 AM

The marinated eel has soy sauce. The spicy tuna can also have gluten. In addition, stay away from the orange colored roe (some brands might be gluten-free but the one I looked at one time wasn't) and the fake crab. Otherwise, eat and enjoy.

I don't know enough about Indian food to comment but I do know there are some safe choices.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: