14 replies to this topic

#1 rocnorton

rocnorton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:01 AM

Hi, I'm wondering if it is possible to go out to eat and order a salad (no croutons) without having to go through the whole "I have celiac disease and can't have ..." thing. Are any of the salad dressings commonly found at most restaurants gluten free? If not, any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:05 AM

Many restaurants will let you bring your own dressing to put on salads. Outback has many dressings that are gluten free.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#3 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:33 AM

That is hard to know...as far as what restaurants carry. They may order from a distributor and may not have or give you the ingredients to check. Some restaurants could either 1. Have verified certain dressings are gluten-free or 2. Make their own in house and can verify ingredients (and you can determine whether its safe or not) However, you won't get help in this area at some restaurants. I also take my own dressing frequently to restaurants. You can also order individual size packets of dressing from several stores online and carry those too. Pretty hand. I can post info if you are interested...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:09 AM

yes, but it varies by restaurant/recipe, so you have to ask. some restaurants will whip you up your own salad dressing as well - so an even better reason to ask.

yes, but it varies by restaurant/recipe, so you have to ask. some restaurants will whip you up your own salad dressing as well - so an even better reason to ask.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 schuyler

schuyler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:38 AM

I always bring my own packets of Annie's dressing. Also, make sure that you request that your salad be tossed in a clean bowl with clean tongs. This is because many restaurants toss all of the salads in the same bowl, so you could get cruton crumbs mixed into your salad.
Danielle

Diagnosed with Celiac 1/3/06 at age 20

Also dairy free and soy light

Guardian to 3 boys, ages 4, 3, and 2 who are gluten-free, df, corn free, and soy light

#6 aili

aili

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:32 PM

sorry if this question seems stupid, but what would gluten ever be doing in a salad dressing? would it be the vinegar?

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

Binding agents, modified food starch, and so on. oh, yes, and soy sauce.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:12 PM

You can also always just get oil and vinegar, very simple, that is what i get if they are iffy on the ingredients/
Molly

#9 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:58 PM

Binding agents, modified food starch, and so on. oh, yes, and soy sauce.

... and the big one is be extra careful of lite-dressings.

Personally I just take the advice of flagbabyds and make sure its wine vinegar, if not them lemon/lime juice and olive oil.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#10 Girl Ninja

Girl Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:27 AM

Also be wary of shredded cheese on salads. I'm told by friends in the restaurant biz that gluten is added to some bulk shredded cheese to prevent clumping/ stickiness.

#11 GeneC

GeneC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:44 PM

You can also order individual size packets of dressing from several stores online and carry those too. Pretty hand. I can post info if you are interested...

I'd be interested in where to get the individual size packets. I've seen Annies, but they don't seem to have them in French. I've been looking for salad dressing packets for a while and been unsuccessful. Visited some foodservice places that sell to restaurants, but selection was light and had trouble verifying ingredients

Thanks

#12 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:44 PM

I'd be interested in where to get the individual size packets. I've seen Annies, but they don't seem to have them in French. I've been looking for salad dressing packets for a while and been unsuccessful. Visited some foodservice places that sell to restaurants, but selection was light and had trouble verifying ingredients

Thanks

http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx

That website sells Kraft Dressings. They also sell sweet baby ray's bbq sauce in individual packets. I believe they also sell gluten free soy sauce in individual packets. Along with peanutbutter, jellies, heinz ketchup, Kraft Mayo, and tons of other things that are great!

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#13 GeneC

GeneC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx

That website sells Kraft Dressings. They also sell sweet baby ray's bbq sauce in individual packets. I believe they also sell gluten free soy sauce in individual packets. Along with peanutbutter, jellies, heinz ketchup, Kraft Mayo, and tons of other things that are great!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Thanks. Interesting site which may complete my portable condiment quest. Salad dressing has been my longest search. I've locally found for purchase Heinz Catsup packets, Frenchs mustard packets, Kraft BBQ Sauce packets, & Smuckers Jelly cups. Don't know why the dressings have been more difficult to find, although a lot of the food service suppliers where I would expect to see the individual sizes don't sell to the public.

#14 grfee93

grfee93

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

I've tried a lot of different Gluten Free Salad Dressings, but my absolute favorite is one that, according to their website, is only available on the east coast and online. The company is called Gazebo Room, and they make a Greek, Lite Greek and Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing, all of which are Gluten Free. I thought I'd share this info with you because their products have made coping with my Celiac Disease a lot easier, since I don't have to mix my own dressings any more. :D

#15 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

this thread is from 2006 - many manufacturers have changed their ingredients trending towards gluten free.  plus, with the changes in labeling laws, if an ingredient is derived from wheat it must be listed even if it's not easily identified.  modified food starch is mostly made from corn, but if it's from wheat they have to label it clearly.  so, read your labels - if it doesn't say it, it's not in there.

i have more of a problem trying to avoid soy <that stuff is in everything!  grr!)  so i am still 'stuck' making my own.  which i actually like better :) i have become pretty good at just eyeballing my ingredients and i have a "bullet" that whips everything nicely.  plus it's CHEAP and that is my middle name lolz :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: