This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question With Menstuation

Lollie

Lollie Enthusiast

I have noticed a big differnce in my periods since going gluten-free. I was wondering if this is normal? Does anyone have any info on the effects of gluten and your cycle?

Thanks,

Lollie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I don't have any info, but my hormone levels really seem to be changing (I'm not as flat chested :blink: ) and my periods have gotten closer to what I would consider normal.

I would think that with absorbing more of our nutrients that we will see lots of things working better.

Lollie Enthusiast

Yea, i have been having the same kinds of affects. My husband is happy about it!!!

Lollie

Guest Babbia

Yup. I went from completely absent periods to a 35-40 day cycle. Finally getting my period at age 30 was unexpected for me and just another thing that changed when going gluten-free/DF. I asked doc what the gluten/menstrual connection is and he just said that celiac disease throws the entire body out of whack. I'm sure there's a more "scientific" explanation for it (ie...does it affect hormones???....is it a nutrient problem????...)

gluten-free since November 05.

Guest Robbin
:) Yes! I have had a hysterectomy, but still have ovaries and I have noticed a huge difference in my moods and all-over bloated, yuck feeling at the "time" of the month. I noticed the breast thing too! I had fibrocystic breasts for years and the lumps have disappeared and I have a definition in the chest area that is so much more attractive. (Something is at least improved on this old bod! :blink: )
Lollie Enthusiast

:D:D:D Well I'm glad to know I am not losing my mind!!!! I thought I might be pregnant...that's the only time I have ever had an increase in breast size! Now I can add deflated boobs to the list of what celiac did to me!

Thanks for the replies! I forget to turn to you all, then remember that I have this wonderful network of understanding individuals to turn to! Thanks!!!!!

Lollie

Ashley Enthusiast

All I notice is I'm more ill and twice as much pain with heavy bleeding <_<

-Ash

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taz sharratt Enthusiast
All I notice is I'm more ill and twice as much pain with heavy bleeding <_<

-Ash

me too ashley, my periods are more heavy now than ever and a lot more cramps, be i was lucky if i got 3 days and then it was only the second day it would be anything- now its 4-5 days and thw whole 4-5 days, it sucks!!!!

pumpkin Rookie

I have gone in the opposite direction. Still cramping but not as severe, fewer migraines, very, very short cycle with very little flow. Going gluten free definitely does something to your body.

Lollie Enthusiast

I started this post because my periods have definantly changed. I have always had a very quick cycle, 21-27 day cycle, with a full 7 days of bleeding. I always had 1 day right before I started that was PMS x 10. But only that one day was like that and then I would start and everything was fine. No cramping, no clots. Now I get a full week of PMS, I'm more emotional in general. When I start its cramps and a heavy flow with lots of clots. I have been having alot of trouble with regulateing my blood sugar. It tends to be low. I also get more mild headaches then before, and , I am getting hotflashes prior to starting. I was thinking maybe it's perimenapause, but since I'm only 33 it seems unlikely. My breasts have definantly enlarged, like a full cup size. I no longer have the fibrocystic problem, at all. I hadn't even noticed that had changed until Robbin mentioned it earlier. I am very interested in the effects of gluten and hormones, particularly female hormones. I will research this some more.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It is interesting to here what all of you have been through, and helps me understand what I'm going through a little better!

Lollie

Lollie Enthusiast

Hi all. I did do some research and it seems like hormones can definantly be affected by gluten. Now that we absorb nutrients better, maybe the hormones will come back up. I was especially interested in a topic from another site where they were talking about low levels of testosterone being a culprit to lots of things, including fatigue and painful periods. I am going to have an appointment with my gynocologist this month, time for my yearly, and I am going to ask about all of these things, and I am going to ask to have my hormone levels checked in general. Also, there was talk about the fact that malnutrition makes you have low cholesterol levels, and that vitamins that need fat to be absorbed might be out of balance, causeing a myriad of problems.

Tarnalberry if you look at this I would love it if you would post your thoughts on this. I saw a posting you did at another sight from last year, that was very informative!

Thanks!

Lollie

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Lollie--Cramps, heavy flow and clots can indicate fibroids. They are very common, and as they grow, and depending on their position can cause symptoms. Sometimes your doctor can feel them, but they will also show up on an ultrasound. You mentioned hormones--estrogen is what causes fibroids and is what is responsible for their growth--my GYN told me this, as I'm dealing with this right now.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Hi Lollie--Cramps, heavy flow and clots can indicate fibroids. They are very common, and as they grow, and depending on their position can cause symptoms. Sometimes your doctor can feel them, but they will also show up on an ultrasound. You mentioned hormones--estrogen is what causes fibroids and is what is responsible for their growth--my GYN told me this, as I'm dealing with this right now.

True, you could have fibroids. I have clotting, but no fibroids or other problems. I think it also can have to do with heavy flow. I notice mine is worse in the morning after being reclined all night. I used to have such painful cramping with this, especially with a bm, that it would bring tears to my eyes. The clotting is still there and not as bad, but the pain is gone.

Lollie Enthusiast

Thanks ya'll! Are fibroids anything like cycsts? I ask because my doc had once told me I probably had ovarian cysts, that would just go away. I was having alot of pain and they tested me for everything under the sun and then came up with that. I have the pains from time to time, sometimes bad sometimes just a little. My mother has already gone through the "change", but abour 2 years ago she started having blood with alot of clotting. The doc's thought she had cancer, but through byopsies found that it was fibroids, which they said could become cancer if not treated. They did a very thorough D & C. She hasn't had any more problems. But she does go every 6 months for regular check ups. Is this kind of thing hereditary?

Lollie

jerseyangel Proficient
Thanks ya'll! Are fibroids anything like cycsts? I ask because my doc had once told me I probably had ovarian cysts, that would just go away. I was having alot of pain and they tested me for everything under the sun and then came up with that. I have the pains from time to time, sometimes bad sometimes just a little. My mother has already gone through the "change", but abour 2 years ago she started having blood with alot of clotting. The doc's thought she had cancer, but through byopsies found that it was fibroids, which they said could become cancer if not treated. They did a very thorough D & C. She hasn't had any more problems. But she does go every 6 months for regular check ups. Is this kind of thing hereditary?

Lollie

Lollie--Fibroids are different from ovarian cysts. With the cysts, we make one every month at ovulation. They normally go away after the egg is released. Sometimes, they can remain--this is called a functional cyst. I have them, mine are completely clear, and they are being watched. There are different types of ovarian cysts--it's important that your doctor knows what kind you have. Fibroids are benign growths that occur in the lining or inside the uterus. They are almost never cancerous. Since they respond to estrogen, they often stop growing, or go away after menopause. (Since I'm dealing with both of these, I have spoken to my doctor recently about this). Here is a good link for fibroid info--

Open Original Shared Link

They can run in families, but they are also very common. The biggest problem with mine is that it is growing and it is near my bladder. I had an ultrasound last month, and will have another in 6 months. We'll see from there.

Lollie Enthusiast
Lollie--Fibroids are different from ovarian cysts. With the cysts, we make one every month at ovulation. They normally go away after the egg is released. Sometimes, they can remain--this is called a functional cyst. I have them, mine are completely clear, and they are being watched. There are different types of ovarian cysts--it's important that your doctor knows what kind you have. Fibroids are benign growths that occur in the lining or inside the uterus. They are almost never cancerous. Since they respond to estrogen, they often stop growing, or go away after menopause. (Since I'm dealing with both of these, I have spoken to my doctor recently about this). Here is a good link for fibroid info--

Open Original Shared Link

They can run in families, but they are also very common. The biggest problem with mine is that it is growing and it is near my bladder. I had an ultrasound last month, and will have another in 6 months. We'll see from there.

Thanks Patti. I hope everything continues to go well for you. In my mom's case, she hadn't had a period in 5 years. I think that is why they thought it was cancer. But, luckily it wasn't and pretty easy to correct. I will definantly check your link. I keep thinking, if it's not one thing it's another!

I guess I will have to talk to my obgyn and see what they think!

Thanks again

Lollie

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
(I'm not as flat chested :blink: )

WHAT? Yahoo.

Hi all. I did do some research and it seems like hormones can definantly be affected by gluten. Now that we absorb nutrients better, maybe the hormones will come back up. I was especially interested in a topic from another site where they were talking about low levels of testosterone being a culprit to lots of things, including fatigue and painful periods. I am going to have an appointment with my gynocologist this month, time for my yearly, and I am going to ask about all of these things, and I am going to ask to have my hormone levels checked in general. Also, there was talk about the fact that malnutrition makes you have low cholesterol levels, and that vitamins that need fat to be absorbed might be out of balance, causeing a myriad of problems.

Tarnalberry if you look at this I would love it if you would post your thoughts on this. I saw a posting you did at another sight from last year, that was very informative!

Thanks!

Lollie

I just saw my alternative doc (he's Ayurvedic from India) and he told me about finding out Celiac men have very decreased levels of testosterone - they think the same might true of women. So he ran some tests on me. Interesting stuff! I'll find out next week.

• 1 month later...
leslie j Newbie

My daughter is on her period more then off. Very frustrating. We have tried three different birth control pills. Nothing works. She is having an ultrasound on Monday. Maybe fibroikds, but been told probably not. So before being diagnosed her periods were irregular, now they are pretty much all the time.

Archived