This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone In Utah?

utdan

utdan Apprentice

Am I the only Utah person here?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aj-slc Newbie
Am I the only Utah person here?

I'm from Utah.

chrissy Collaborator

i'm close----i'm from southern idaho.

Guest Ang

I live in Cedar City...was diagnosed in late February with celiac. Was told about 6 weeks ago that someone in my town was recently diagnosed...but I don't know who!

utdan Apprentice
I live in Cedar City...was diagnosed in late February with celiac. Was told about 6 weeks ago that someone in my town was recently diagnosed...but I don't know who!

Yes, it's nice to know that you're not alone. Thanks guys. Though, it seems strange doesn't it? If 1 in every 133 people have it on average...why aren' t more on this website?

anerissara Enthusiast

I'm here, too..

In the SLC area.

justjane Rookie

i go to college in SLC and will be moving there permanently in august.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

utdan Apprentice

Annissara, I feel for your 6 yr old! But much better now than later for her. Yeah, I can't relate to raising children yet but I can imagine that keeping everthing seperate and safe would be nerve racking.

JustJane, what a coincidence I just posted a reply to your new thread :-). So you're going to U of U or BYU slc? I'm in provo going to the Y right now.

justjane Rookie

utdan,

i am in my second year at lds business college (aka byu slc) and will be transferring to the red school in fall 2007 ;) go utes!

are you an rm?

utdan Apprentice

The red school huh? That would be our rivals :). I hear they have great medical program though. Do you know what you're going into?

Yes I'm an rm of the , Florida Orlando Mission.

justjane Rookie

:D medicine! :D and you?

planning on getting my degree in medical lab science (blood test, urine testing, see if people are like US!) and then want to go on to med school there in slc. what's going on down in ptown?

florida, huh? spanish speaking? i have two friends who are down there right now - speaking spanish. i have a few friends who are cougs too who i just have to smack every time i see them! just kidding, breedem' young is cool!

utdan Apprentice
:D medicine! :D and you?

planning on getting my degree in medical lab science (blood test, urine testing, see if people are like US!) and then want to go on to med school there in slc. what's going on down in ptown?

florida, huh? spanish speaking? i have two friends who are down there right now - speaking spanish. i have a few friends who are cougs too who i just have to smack every time i see them! just kidding, breedem' young is cool!

I love medicine, I'm a scientist at heart:D I don't know if I could afford the extra 4 years and residency though. I'm pursuing accounting right now since this is 2nd top program in the country and I love business as well. Things are great here, our ward just went down to a lake on Saturday and goofed off.

I was english speaking actually as 90% of them were when I was there. Brigham Young is cool? I thought the cold fusion breakthrough was cool actually. :) J/K

justjane Rookie

the only reason i asked about your mission is because i'm planning on going on one in a couple of years when i'm old enough to put in my papers. i was going to ask you about how you ate on your mission gluten-free. i guess you didn't know you had problems with gluten when you were on your mission. i wonder if they'll even let me go, but i've been planning (not to mention saving) for it for a long time.

everyone in utah should go to Open Original Shared Link . it is a great site that has a support group in Provo and in SLC on tues. and thursday night. the night it is falls where you live, so be sure to look at the site for dates and times. it also has records of gluten-free restaurants and conventions. there was one in june and there is a pre-thanksgiving event as well.

utdan Apprentice

Thank you for that link, good job on finding that!

You want to go on a mission? Wow, that's a big sacrifice, and good for you:). You're right, I didn't so much as know I was allergic to anything, let alone gluten in 97-99. I suppose you know the qualifications for going on a mission are a bit more stringent now so I hope you can go.

On the realistic side, the more you eat gluten-free now the more sensitive you'll get to it, and I got additional allergies around the time I started eating gluten-free so you might get more allergies between now and then. Everything from district and zone lunches to Preparation day zone activity lunches could be a hassle. For your health, tt might dangerous and therefore not in your best interest to go on a regular mission.

However, serving in slc temple square would be safe probably since I imagine you would not be eating at members houses and would have more personal control over your meals. In any mission your district and zone elders and sisters would be very supportive though I'm sure. Even more supportive would be your mission president and his wife, they would probably be sure to make zone conferences comfortable for you how they could. And you could be a great help in spreading the knowledge about celiac disease to the members and helping some to recognize it in themselves (where was my celiac missionary???).

If you go into a normal mission you do realize that you eat at many members homes throughout every week. Still, in that case you could explain that you have to bring your own food to eat, or simply not be able to eat at all at their dinner table, or simply refuse dinner appointments. Oh I have stories I could tell you about how connected people get to their food and how some won't easily take no for an answer in offering you some (even in just dropping by there place to say hello). But, then again I didn't have the celiac excuse. I bet you could convince your bishop to let you go. Go for it! I would talk to my bishop right now though just to see if there are any hard fast rules that could prevent you from going.

MallysMama Explorer

It's so nice to see some LDS celiacs!! So exciting!! I've lived in Vegas for a year - but before that born and raised in Utah (WVC then St. George). I wish I could help with your mission topic...all I have to say is that you should definitely talk to your bishop about it if you really want to go when the time comes. My little brother gets home from the Carlsbad CA mission in 2 weeks and I'm so excited to see him!! He hasn't even met my daughter yet! So anyway - nice to meet you all!!

• 2 weeks later...
utdan Apprentice
It's so nice to see some LDS celiacs!! So exciting!! I've lived in Vegas for a year - but before that born and raised in Utah (WVC then St. George). I wish I could help with your mission topic...all I have to say is that you should definitely talk to your bishop about it if you really want to go when the time comes. My little brother gets home from the Carlsbad CA mission in 2 weeks and I'm so excited to see him!! He hasn't even met my daughter yet! So anyway - nice to meet you all!!

I apologize for taking so long to respond. Nice to meet you too! and I'm sure the reunion with your little brother was great!

pinktroll Apprentice

Hi all,

I am also in Utah (Sandy). My husband is the one with Celiac but in his family there are also 2 sisters, a brother and 2 nieces and a nephew with celiac. Our favorite store is Against the Grain in WVC-all gluten free! I attended the GIG convention in June and went to the vendor displays-it was awesome! Everyone had samples and special deals and it was just cool to see that there really are a lot of gluten free options out there. The Utah GIG site also has some good recipes. Nikkie

• 4 weeks later...
GFBetsy Rookie
Thank you for that link, good job on finding that!

You want to go on a mission? Wow, that's a big sacrifice, and good for you:). You're right, I didn't so much as know I was allergic to anything, let alone gluten in 97-99. I suppose you know the qualifications for going on a mission are a bit more stringent now so I hope you can go.

On the realistic side, the more you eat gluten-free now the more sensitive you'll get to it, and I got additional allergies around the time I started eating gluten-free so you might get more allergies between now and then. Everything from district and zone lunches to Preparation day zone activity lunches could be a hassle. For your health, tt might dangerous and therefore not in your best interest to go on a regular mission.

However, serving in slc temple square would be safe probably since I imagine you would not be eating at members houses and would have more personal control over your meals. In any mission your district and zone elders and sisters would be very supportive though I'm sure. Even more supportive would be your mission president and his wife, they would probably be sure to make zone conferences comfortable for you how they could. And you could be a great help in spreading the knowledge about celiac disease to the members and helping some to recognize it in themselves (where was my celiac missionary???).

If you go into a normal mission you do realize that you eat at many members homes throughout every week. Still, in that case you could explain that you have to bring your own food to eat, or simply not be able to eat at all at their dinner table, or simply refuse dinner appointments. Oh I have stories I could tell you about how connected people get to their food and how some won't easily take no for an answer in offering you some (even in just dropping by there place to say hello). But, then again I didn't have the celiac excuse. I bet you could convince your bishop to let you go. Go for it! I would talk to my bishop right now though just to see if there are any hard fast rules that could prevent you from going.

Hey . . . just saw this post. Thought I'd throw in my two cents . . . my cousin Merry is currently serving a mission in Nauvoo, and she was well aware that she had celiac when she sent in her papers . . . it was never a problem. My brother recently returned from Utica, NY, and he had 2 or 3 different missionaries in his mission who had celiac. So it can be done! It does take a little more effort on your part, but as long as you learn how to cook for yourself before you go, I don't think you'll have many problems.

On another note, a friend and I teach gluten free cooking classes at the Provo Macey's once a month or so . . . You just missed our July class, but we'll be doing another one in Mid-September. Just in case anyone would be interested in attending them. They are free . . . Just call Macey's to sign up so that we buy enough food for everyone to sample things. We usually list our class dates on our website. Just PM me if you want to know more!

Sweetfudge Community Regular

chrissy Collaborator

my daughter is leaving on a mission in less than 2 weeks----she does not have celiac, but i did have her screened not too long ago so we would know before she left. how do you all handle the sacrament? we have one other lady in our ward with celiac, but she just didn't take the bread. after our 3 girls were diagnosed, she decided it would be easier now that there are 4 celiacs, so one of the deacons carries an extra tray with gluten free bread on it.

justjane Rookie

good to know i can still go on a mission!! wonderful news!

i missed the baking bread activity because i was coming back to UT from my real home. dang it! i wish i had been there!

sacrament is a trial. i am in a single's ward so every single elder in the entire ward knows about my situation. i sit in the same place every week and i bring a Frito, its just easier that way. i never thought about putting it in a bag or tupperware until recently, but i think i'll do that this sunday so that there will be no cc. also a lady i know who is in the Orem GIG she puts hers in a little jar thingy and then has her husband take it out and open it for her so she doesn't even have to touch the bread. what a nice guy!

i want to meet you all! pm me please.

justjane

GFBetsy Rookie
how do you all handle the sacrament? we have one other lady in our ward with celiac, but she just didn't take the bread. after our 3 girls were diagnosed, she decided it would be easier now that there are 4 celiacs, so one of the deacons carries an extra tray with gluten free bread on it.

It really depends on your bishop. In my mom's ward, they have my dad carry her bread/rice cake in a white handkerchief and just hold and break it while the priests are doing the same. He just sits in the row with her and then passes it to her while the deacons are passing the sacrament. In my sister's ward, she generally sits in the same place every week. She takes her own bread, they put it in one corner of the tray, and take that tray to her first. I know others who use the little portion cups with lids to avoid cross contamination or wrap their bread in foil so it won't get gluten on it. I have heard (but I can't remember who it came from) that other bishops have given permission for the sacrament to be blessed/passed in the home. But, as I said in the beginning, it really depends on the bishop. Right now we just have my daughter not eat the bread. As she gets older I'll probably just go talk to the bishop, tell him some of the solutions that my family members' bishops have come up with, and let him decide what he wants to do.

I missed the bread tasters table too, and it's too bad, because I make good bread! LOL! I was going to take some, but it just slipped my mind. Lots of things do that . . .

justjane - my sister was wondering if you are living in Orem or Provo, and what singles ward you are attending. She goes to a North Orem singles ward, and was just wondering if you might be attending the same ward.

justjane Rookie

I actually live in WVC, and attend a University of Utah single's ward in SLC. I would like to see how other people deal with the sacrament too. I would also like to get in touch with all of you to see what everyone eats. :D

I am happy that there are others like us in the SLC area too! I wish my classes weren't at the times that the support group meets, but it's only for this semester. I'm definatly interested in being active in the SLC GIG as soon as possible.

Hope to speak with you all soon -

justjane

It's so nice to see some LDS celiacs!! So exciting!! I've lived in Vegas for a year -

I'm from Elko, way up north....now live in WVC

GFBetsy Rookie

Sorry! I now remember some friendly university mocking between you and utdan . . . I guess I shouldn't write things at midnight, eh?

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Thanks for sharing the way you all deal with the sacrament...husband and i have been struggling with getting active in the church, and my only setback has been the sacrament. i'll have to talk with our bishop about it. Good ideas though :)

Yeah, I'm excited to get my hands on some good bread after attending our bread tasting meeting! I tried to make some zucchini bread this weekend...sucked! lol! I loved the blue chip poppyseed muffins!

Archived