This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone In Utah?

utdan

Tephie Apprentice

Dan,

Were you able to speak with someone at Cafe Rio that confirmed their food is gluten free? I have called the corporate offices in Salt Lake several times and left messages and no one has ever returned my calls. I LOVE Cafe Rio and would be a very happy person if I could eat there again :)

Stephanie

Hello all, I just found my new favorite celiac friendly Provo/Orem restaurant last night:

Cafe Rio

2250 N University Pkwy # 816, Provo - (801) 375-5133

I had the enchiladas with steak, and it was very good. The price was about $6.95. I'm starting to think that ordering enchiladas at any Mexican restaurant is safe as I have yet to get a reaction from any of them. I just double check they use corn wraps instead of tortillas first.

Sweetfudge, yes I'm a student at BYU as an undergrad in Biology.

I tried the Pudding on Rice with the vanilla and cinnamon flavors and they were both good! I tried contacting the company to find a list of safe flavors but their website was down. Does anyone know which ones are safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweetfudge Community Regular
Meant to post this in this topic -but I added it as a new topic. Oops. Still can't figure out how to label my post.

Hi. I'm new and recently diagnosed. I live in Salt Lake. A friend of mine saw in the newspaper that "House of Bread" on 2700 South and about 2000 East is making gluten-free bread every Saturday.

I bought some on Saturday, and tried it yesterday. It's my first bread in over a month. I wasn't too impressed, but that's probably just because it's gluten-free. However, in the night, I got really sick. I am still feeling awful, and it's the only thing I can think of that I haven't had before.

Has anyone else tried the bread? Any reactions?

Paula in Salt Lake

hm, never tried this one. is it a bakery that just cooks gluten-free once a week? i'd be concerned about CC there, if they use gluten the rest of the week. hope you get feeling better.

Hello all, I just found my new favorite celiac friendly Provo/Orem restaurant last night:

Cafe Rio

2250 N University Pkwy # 816, Provo - (801) 375-5133

I had the enchiladas with steak, and it was very good. The price was about $6.95. I'm starting to think that ordering enchiladas at any Mexican restaurant is safe as I have yet to get a reaction from any of them. I just double check they use corn wraps instead of tortillas first.

Sweetfudge, yes I'm a student at BYU as an undergrad in Biology.

I tried the Pudding on Rice with the vanilla and cinnamon flavors and they were both good! I tried contacting the company to find a list of safe flavors but their website was down. Does anyone know which ones are safe?

i LOVE cafe rio! i eat there about once a week, and have yet to get sick. I get the steak salad or the tostadas. YUM!

i also really like pudding on the rice. can't remember if we discussed this earlier, but they do sell individual packages at reams across the street. good for lunches :)

Tephie Apprentice

Sweetfudge,

When you get the salad at Cafe Rio which dressing to you get?

Thanks, Stephanie

hm, never tried this one. is it a bakery that just cooks gluten-free once a week? i'd be concerned about CC there, if they use gluten the rest of the week. hope you get feeling better.

i LOVE cafe rio! i eat there about once a week, and have yet to get sick. I get the steak salad or the tostadas. YUM!

i also really like pudding on the rice. can't remember if we discussed this earlier, but they do sell individual packages at reams across the street. good for lunches :)

just the ranch one, i think it has cilantro in it or something...

Tephie Apprentice

Thanks Sweetfudge! You have made my day, I may stop by there for dinner :D

just the ranch one, i think it has cilantro in it or something...

had it for lunch today :) it's the creamy tomatillo dressing. it's yummy!!

• 2 weeks later...
PRA Newbie
had it for lunch today :) it's the creamy tomatillo dressing. it's yummy!!

I've braved the food at Cafe Rio, too. I had the chicken Tostada - it's pretty much the chicken salad with a corn tortilla - it's a little smaller, which suits me just fine. I also had the tomatillo dressing. No reaction. I do think it's pretty risky for CC, though, because they cook all of the tortillas on that big rotating grill. But sometimes you just have to take a risk.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I've braved the food at Cafe Rio, too. I had the chicken Tostada - it's pretty much the chicken salad with a corn tortilla - it's a little smaller, which suits me just fine. I also had the tomatillo dressing. No reaction. I do think it's pretty risky for CC, though, because they cook all of the tortillas on that big rotating grill. But sometimes you just have to take a risk.

yeah, sometimes you do. and cafe rio is so yummy. i seriously can't believe i haven't gotten sick. so glad though! sometimes i just get the salad w/out a tortilla.

• 1 month later...
Jodi Mills Apprentice

I am not from Utah, yet. But in the end of february me and my bf are moving back to his home town, Vernal?? So it is good to see that there are people in Utah, and that I wont be the Only one with celiac. Growing up was difficult, I didnt know anyone else with celiac, and just recently met someone who had celiac. It is crazy if there are that many of us out there, why dont we run into each other more often?

Tephie Apprentice

Hi Bobohead,

Welcome to Utah (soon anyways). Vernal is a very rural place hopefully you won't have to hard of a time finding food to eat. Have you been to Vernal before?

I am sure you run into people all the time that have Celiac, they probably just don't know it.

I am not from Utah, yet. But in the end of february me and my bf are moving back to his home town, Vernal?? So it is good to see that there are people in Utah, and that I wont be the Only one with celiac. Growing up was difficult, I didnt know anyone else with celiac, and just recently met someone who had celiac. It is crazy if there are that many of us out there, why dont we run into each other more often?
I am sure you run into people all the time that have Celiac, they probably just don't know it.

i bet we all do :)

Jodi Mills Apprentice

Hi! I have never been to Vernal, That is where my boyfriends family is. Im hoping they will at least have some sort of health food store, so I can get the basics. I guess I will find out when we get there. Only 30 days left...Im sure I run into them too, just never knew it. I am absolutley loving this site though, I spend most of my time online on here, It is great to be able to talk, ask questions and what not of people who are going through, been through or going to go through what I have.

Hi Bobohead,

Welcome to Utah (soon anyways). Vernal is a very rural place hopefully you won't have to hard of a time finding food to eat. Have you been to Vernal before?

• 5 weeks later...
sharps45 Apprentice

Another gluten-free friendly restaurant in Provo-Orem area is Tuocanos (hope that's the right spelling) in the Riverwoods mall. It's a Brazillian grill, and if you ask they will provide you with a list of all the foods that have gluten in them. This is a meat eaters paradise! Also, go for the lunch, as it is nearly all the same foods for half the price as dinner!

Utgirl Newbie
Am I the only Utah person here?

Your not the only one from UT although sometimes with Celiac it feels like it. Has anyone heard of the Delfi List and where to find it?

Another gluten-free friendly restaurant in Provo-Orem area is Tuocanos (hope that's the right spelling) in the Riverwoods mall. It's a Brazillian grill, and if you ask they will provide you with a list of all the foods that have gluten in them. This is a meat eaters paradise! Also, go for the lunch, as it is nearly all the same foods for half the price as dinner!

Oooh I love Tucanos!!! Such good food! Yes, definitely go for lunch :) Their lemonades are really good too. Haven't been there in forever, might just have to :D

• 2 months later...
GFBetsy Rookie

Just thought I'd let you all know that we'll be doing another gluten-free cooking class at the Provo Macey's on Thursday, May 15th. We'll be doing brunch foods - crustless quiche, a fresh apple cake, and some other things. It starts at 7 pm, and the class is free. Just call their customer service desk to let them know you are coming so we provide enough food. The phone number of the store is 801-356-3216.

Hope to see you there!

Betsy

Just thought I'd let you all know that we'll be doing another gluten-free cooking class at the Provo Macey's on Thursday, May 15th. We'll be doing brunch foods - crustless quiche, a fresh apple cake, and some other things. It starts at 7 pm, and the class is free. Just call their customer service desk to let them know you are coming so we provide enough food. The phone number of the store is 801-356-3216.

Hope to see you there!

Betsy

HOORAY! I can't wait! I've been checking the site weekly to see when that was happening :) See you there!

• 4 weeks later...
utdan Apprentice

yeah, sometimes you do. and cafe rio is so yummy. i seriously can't believe i haven't gotten sick. so glad though! sometimes i just get the salad w/out a tortilla.

Cafe Rio is one of my favorite! I've eaten there about 7 times and haven't had any reactions yet. I get the enchiladas.

• 1 year later...
no-more-muffins Apprentice

I live in Utah too. If anyone wants a Utah buddy, pm me!

Betty Boop Rookie

I called Cafe Rio here in Salt Lake, and they told me they do NOT have anything gluten-free. Rats. <_<

• 1 month later...
MayaENahra Newbie

Hello all! I know I may be pushing the buttons here but I wanted to let you in on a great sale. My name is Maya and I am a wheat free registered dietitian who works for Sunflower Farmers Market. I was on here looking for posting of resturants I can go while visiting Orem and Provo this week ... when I thought it couldnt hurt to say it on here! Sunflower Farmers Market in Orem only (University and State St) THIS FRIDAY the 4th of Sept is having a 30% off ALL gluten free items in the store, one day only... I know I cannot advertise so I will not add details but just google us and you'll find the details! I'll be there also :)

And thanks for the resturant tips, very helpful :)

maya

• 2 months later...
JessB Newbie
Meant to post this in this topic -but I added it as a new topic. Oops. Still can't figure out how to label my post.

Hi. I'm new and recently diagnosed. I live in Salt Lake. A friend of mine saw in the newspaper that "House of Bread" on 2700 South and about 2000 East is making gluten-free bread every Saturday.

I bought some on Saturday, and tried it yesterday. It's my first bread in over a month. I wasn't too impressed, but that's probably just because it's gluten-free. However, in the night, I got really sick. I am still feeling awful, and it's the only thing I can think of that I haven't had before.

Has anyone else tried the bread? Any reactions?

Paula in Salt Lake

A really good gluten-free bread is by Charlotte's Bakery in SLC. They are completely gluten-free, and they do bread and buns made out of brown rice flower, which are like a really hearty potato roll. They're sold at Against The Grain in SLC or Good Earth in Riverdale. I love them, and I've yet to have a reaction to anything they do. Oooh! and they also do focaccia bread, which is great with homemade alfredo sauce, artichoke hearts, chicken, bacon, spinach, and tons of cheese....yummy!!!!

Good luck!

Jess

• 2 years later...
busymomof5 Newbie

I know this an old thread, but am sure that others still find it through the search function. Cafe Rio has now added an allergy info section to their website. Here is the link: Open Original Shared Link I guess there are a few gluten free items....but I won't be eating there anymore. Honestly, I'm pretty depressed. It WAS my favorite restaurant. I have been eating there at least twice a month.

Archived