This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone In Utah?

utdan

GFBetsy Rookie

Blue Chip muffins are very good, I must agree. As far as making zuchini bread goes, try substituting 3/4 c. Bette Hagman's featherlight mix and 1/4 of a cup of Hagman's gluten-free mix for each cup of flour (so if the recipe calls for 4 cups of flour, use 3 of featherlight and 1 of gluten-free mix). Then add about 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum for each cup of flour. That's the conversion that has worked best for me for Banana bread.

Betsy

Oh, and come to church, even if you have to skip the bread and just take the water. :) My mom's done it often when she's visiting somewhere and doesn't want to make a big deal about celiac. And no one ever cares.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
utdan Apprentice

Yes, I agree. I can't tell you how many times I came late and had to skip the sacrament because of not getting my rice bread to them before church. Nobody even notices when I don't take it.

justjane Rookie

Am I the only one who went to the SLC GIG meeting tonight? It was fun, they made waffle cones and we got to eat them!

Sorry! I now remember some friendly university mocking between you and utdan . . . I guess I shouldn't write things at midnight, eh?

LDS Business is where I go right now, so I guess that means that I am kind of a BYU Student sinse I go to a BYU school. I still might go to BYU... you never know! B) Many of my friends go there and it would be fun to go with them. I like LDSBC and the SLC area though, so I just might stay here.

dan just bleeds blue, he's a die-hard. :lol: jk dan!

MallysMama Explorer

Aw, I wish I was a part of the Utah group! Vegas has a support group, but it's just not the same. (Not that I've been to a Utah support group since I was like 5.....but still!)

Justjane - what part of WVC are you in? That's where I was born and "raised" (okay - only lived there till I was in 4th grade... but I guess I'm still "from" there)! We moved to St. George after that....so normally I claim there.

Zucchini bread is the BEST gluten-free bread to make!! It's my absolute Favorite dessert!!! I just use very very very fine rice flour (found in an asian market in S. SLC)....and xanthan gum... and it turns out just like the regular zucchini bread... you can barely see the difference....and others tell me it tastes almost the same too. Mmmm....Yummy!!

As for the sacrament....I'm not the best person to respond to this question. When I was younger, my mom brought a peice of my rice bread (that I hated and soon had her stop making) to church... we had our own tray and my whole family ate it (poor them!). As I got older...and hated being so different...I made her stop doing that. Ever since then I just eat the piece of bread. I've never had a reaction from it... even when other small amounts of something can make me sick. (Though, generally, I'm not that sensitive in my reaction.) Who knows if it's actually doing damage or if the Lord is "protecting" me? *shrugs* So, don't take my advice and do the same thing...just in case! :)

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Thanks for the tips. I need to stop making excuses and keeping myself from church. I'm also going to give the zucchini bread another go with your advice GFBetsy. Wish me luck :)

justjane Rookie
Justjane - what part of WVC are you in? That's where I was born and "raised" (okay - only lived there till I was in 4th grade... but I guess I'm still "from" there)! We moved to St. George after that....so normally I claim there.

I'm right by the jail, if you remember wheret that is. I don't want to put my address on here, but I will PM you if you want to know the exact information. I don't want to put the real address because that could get me into some trouble... you know how people are! I'm familiar with Las Vegas, the church is really strong there.

I LOVE the SLC/Utah GIG. It's an awesome organization! Wish you were here!

Thanks for the tips. I need to stop making excuses and keeping myself from church. I'm also going to give the zucchini bread another go with your advice GFBetsy. Wish me luck :)

Sweetfudge, I think that is a great attitude! If I were in P-town I'd go with you to church :D I used to never take the bread until recently. I talked to my bishop. they are so cute they always say stuff like, do you have something to eat today? usually i bring it so it's all good.

Good luck!

Jane

GFBetsy Rookie

Sweetfudge -

How did your zucchini bread go?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Ang

Who's got a great gluten-free zucchini bread recipe? I was just given 3 from a coworker, and would love to use it!

GFBetsy Rookie

I'm not at home, so I don't have my recipes handy. Try using a regular recipe, and substituting 3/4 c. Bette Hagmans' Featherlight mix and 1/4 c. Bette Hagman's gluten-free mix per 1 cup of regular flour that the recipe calls for. Then use 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. per cup of flour.

good luck!

Betsy

Guest Ang

Thanks, I'll have to try to find that brand...haven't seen it here in Cedar City so far. I admit I have been living on the kindness of extended family members sending me various mixes and food products. I haven't shopped myself for specific gluten free foods since March! My dad just was given positive blood results for celiac. He has been asymtomatic, but was having other bloodwork done, and was sick of me bugging everyone to get the test. So, we can add one more Utahn (of Northern European descent) to the list!

Angie

GFBetsy Rookie

Ang -

I don't think these mixes are actually sold as a mix. I mix them up myself. The recipe can be found on the main recipes page of Open Original Shared Link.

Have fun!

utdan Apprentice

GFBetsy, do know when the next cooking class is in Macey's? The last one posted on the website is July 27th.

JustJane, when is the SLC gluten intolerance group meeting? Is that the same group as the picnic in Lehi? Actually, I think the bleeding will be done by UofU. :D

justjane Rookie
JustJane, when is the SLC gluten intolerance group meeting? Is that the same group as the picnic in Lehi? Actually, I think the bleeding will be done by UofU. :D

The SLC GIG meets the first Tuesday of every month at 7pm at the hospital on 1200 E and 3900 S (Correct me if I'm wrong). The one down your side of the mountain meets in Orem every Tuesday I believe....

Umm no bleeding will be done by UofU. Wishful thinking there. Red will prevail this year!! :P

GFBetsy Rookie

utdan -

Our next class is in late September (the 26th, I think, but check the Provo list of little Theater classes to make sure). We took August off so we could go on vacation. We'll post the class dates soon . . . thanks for reminding me!

The Utah County GIG meets the first Thursday of every month at 7 pm at Timpanogos Hospital in the Cafeteria classroom.

GFBetsy Rookie

I checked, and our next class is on Tuesday, September 26th in the Little Theater at the Provo Macey's. The classes start at 7 pm, and go for about one hour. They are completely free, but Macey's likes people to sign up so we can get a more accurate amount of food. We are going to be doing Pasta & Sauces. We'll have a couple of different types of gluten-free pasta available for people to sample, as well as making 2 or 3 different types of pasta sauce. Hope y'all can come!

utdan Apprentice

GFBetsy,

Thanks for the info. I'm at the point where I'm getting way sick of the pre-packaged stuff. This will help me get motivated!

Ooh, the pasta class will be yummy I'm sure. What kind of sauces will be there? An alfredo sauce, I hope :) That's one of the things I miss the most.

My zucchini bread turned out pretty good actually. A little thick, but good with a nice glass of milk. I'm going to try making some with yellow squash, anyone ever done that? My yellows overtook my zucc's this year :(

GFBetsy Rookie

I'm pretty sure we're doing an alfredo sauce. I'll have to check with my teaching partner. As for those yellow squash, if you pick them young enough, you can slice them thin and add them to regular spaghetti sauce. Or you can boil the slices with frozen broccoli and baby carrots. Yum! I wish my garden hadn't died while I was on vacation!

Reader Newbie

Hi! Another Salt Lake celiac here. I just found this gluten free forum. I was active in the Salt Lake support group for a few years, but not as much recently. Hopefully I will be able to attend the Pre-Thanksgiving feast.

GFBetsy Rookie

I understand that pre-Thanksgiving bash is a lot of fun. I've never gone, because I'm down in Orem, but I've heard people rave about it.

GFBetsy Rookie

Hey, here's the info on the next Utah County GIG meeting, for those who are interested:

* There is a lot of buzz about Zonulin, and the possibility of a drug being researched to allow people with celiac disease to eat a normal diet! They have even started human trials.

Thursday, September 7th at 7pm—

Utah County GIG Meeting at Timpanogos Regional Medical Center (750 West 800 North, Orem. Cafeteria Classroom) We will have a power point presentation on zonulin - and what it means to those with celiac disease. We will enjoy fresh peach cobbler, and there will be time to chat too. New people are always welcome!

* If you are still struggling with the gluten-free diet you don’t want to miss this –

Thursday, September, 21st at 7pm—

Utah County GIG Store Tour at the Orem Harmon’s. (870 East 800 North, Orem.) Here is your chance to have a personal tour through a grocery store with an experienced gluten-free shopper/mentor. Please meet upstairs. (Use either entrance and there will be signs to direct you.)

justjane Rookie
Hey, here's the info on the next Utah County GIG meeting, for those who are interested:

* There is a lot of buzz about Zonulin, and the possibility of a drug being researched to allow people with celiac disease to eat a normal diet! They have even started human trials.

Thursday, September 7th at 7pm—

Utah County GIG Meeting at Timpanogos Regional Medical Center (750 West 800 North, Orem. Cafeteria Classroom) We will have a power point presentation on zonulin - and what it means to those with celiac disease. We will enjoy fresh peach cobbler, and there will be time to chat too. New people are always welcome!

* If you are still struggling with the gluten-free diet you don’t want to miss this –

Thursday, September, 21st at 7pm—

Utah County GIG Store Tour at the Orem Harmon’s. (870 East 800 North, Orem.) Here is your chance to have a personal tour through a grocery store with an experienced gluten-free shopper/mentor. Please meet upstairs. (Use either entrance and there will be signs to direct you.)

I got this email as well. I wish I could go. I'm in classes until ten though. Hope you all have fun.

Hi! Another Salt Lake celiac here. I just found this gluten free forum. I was active in the Salt Lake support group for a few years, but not as much recently. Hopefully I will be able to attend the Pre-Thanksgiving feast.

Welcome!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ang

gluten-free Betsy,

I have now tried and fallen in love with the Featherlight and gluten-free mix from the web site you posted.

I've made fantastic banana bread...and can't wait to try more. I haven't baked much this summer, but I plan on doing more now that we've moved into our house...more room to spread out!

Thanks again for the info,

Angie

GFBetsy Rookie

I'm so glad! Both of those flour mixes are from Bette Hagman (who wrote the Gluten Free Gourmet cookbooks). They are the best I've tried. (Although I must admit I don't really spend much time looking for other flour mixes anymore, because these work so well.)

And congratulations on the banana bread! I haven't made that in ages . . . I think it's about time!

Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone knew of a good thai restaurant in Provo or nearby, either before or after going gluten-free...I have been craving good thai food but haven't ventured out here. I found 2 restaurants on the web:

Thai Pepper Restaurant Llc

283 E 300 S (801) 370-9894

Provo, UT 84606 map it!

Thai Ruby Restaurant

744 E 820 N (801) 375-6840

Provo, UT 84606

Either of these any good?

Just curious. Thx!!

Archived