This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone In Utah?

utdan

Guest melannen

I'm in Utah too (Taylorsville)! I've been lurking around for a week or so but decided to make this my first post (don't you feel special :D)! I don't quite know my way around yet...

I've been eating gluten-free for almost a year but am preparing for a gluten challenge; I feel so much better I'm not sure I can force myself to purposely eat what makes me sick. I went to the thanksgiving thing last year (it was awesome!) and am planning to attend this year as well. I always seem to be busy whenever there's a support group meeting or cooking class but am working on that.

I look forward to getting to know you all. Nice to know there are other (local) people like me :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GFBetsy Rookie

Welcome!

If you are available next Tuesday, there will be a gluten-free cooking class at the Provo Macey's (which is across the street from Utah Valley Regional Mecial Center (to the north)).

Otherwise, check out the Against the Grain store in Taylorsville (owned by Diane Bell). It's a completely gluten free store. It's on 54th South, just before 54th goes under I-215 (if you are coming from I-15 direction). It's in an L shaped strip mall on the North side of the road. It's great!

Betsy

Guest melannen

I LOVE Against the Grain!! I live really close by, that store saved me! It's a wonderful thing to be able to walk down the isles saying "I can eat all of these, and these, and these..." :lol:

Tuesdays are always the hardest for me but I'll try to come!

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Lol welcome! I have heard great things about Against The Grain, but have yet to make it there myself. Just went to the Harmon's tour last night, which was awesome! Definitely adding that place to my list of shopping faves! It was really fun going down all the aisles and learning what everyone else does, and their little secrets that are gluten-free (progresso soups, trix, hormel chili). I can't wait to go back on payday!!!

Mel- just visited your blog...hot sauce on popcorn? lol sounds like...an aquired taste :)

GFBetsy Rookie

Sweetfudge -

Careful on the Trix. GM has announced that they will be RE-adding Wheat Starch to their Recipe.

Blah!

Betsy

Guest melannen
Mel- just visited your blog...hot sauce on popcorn? lol sounds like...an aquired taste :)

Oooo it's soo good (well, if you like spicy stuff)!! It's easiest with microwave popcorn because you just dump however much hot sauce you want in with the popcorn and shake the bag.

• 2 weeks later...
Kody Rookie

I'm from St. George, Utah... and probably the only one. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest melannen

Welcome Cody!

I used to live in St. George....not sure if that counts though :P

Kody Rookie
Welcome Cody!

I used to live in St. George....not sure if that counts though :P

hahah, naw that doesn't count =p I seriously dislike Utah. I can't wait to move. What part in St. George did you live in? Did you go to HS around here or anything like that?

Guest melannen
hahah, naw that doesn't count =p I seriously dislike Utah. I can't wait to move. What part in St. George did you live in? Did you go to HS around here or anything like that?

I was actually a little kid when I lived in St. George (around 15 years ago). At the time my dad worked for an airline company so we got free flights and didn't spend to much time there ;)

So yeah, I guess it really doesn't count :P

Were you born and bred in Utah? Or are you originally from somewhere else?

Kody Rookie
I was actually a little kid when I lived in St. George (around 15 years ago). At the time my dad worked for an airline company so we got free flights and didn't spend to much time there ;)

So yeah, I guess it really doesn't count :P

Were you born and bred in Utah? Or are you originally from somewhere else?

Airline company huh... I'm training for my Pilot Private license right now... fun stuff.

And yeah, it really doesn't count =p

And no, I was born in SLC but never lived there, grew up in Las Vegas and Arizona mainly... although I did spend 2nd and 5th grade in St. George. I've moved a lot, I went to over 18 schools from k-12 grades. Crazy. I know. :P

Guest melannen
Airline company huh... I'm training for my Pilot Private license right now... fun stuff.

And yeah, it really doesn't count =p

And no, I was born in SLC but never lived there, grew up in Las Vegas and Arizona mainly... although I did spend 2nd and 5th grade in St. George. I've moved a lot, I went to over 18 schools from k-12 grades. Crazy. I know. :P

You're getting your license? That's awesome!! My dad wasn't a pilot, he just worked there. Now that I think about it I'm not sure what he did. It was so long ago I don't remember....maybe I'll ask him.

I've always lived in Utah, moved around a bit, but always in Utah. I too went to a bunch of different schools, but you have me beat. :) Most of my school hopping was my parents trying to find someplace to suite my learning style, I'm dyslexic and therefore absolute rubbish at spelling, english, and grammar; I was always held back because of it. I tried several different public schools (sometimes switching within the school mid-year to a different teacher), a couple private schools, and finally settled on home school with a couple classes at the local HS.

Now in college (I go to salt lake community) I hate how the first thing everybody asks you is "Where'd you go to HS??". If I just say "I was home schooled" I always get funny looks and in one case special treatment (they wanted to make sure I wasn't having any problems socially :huh::rolleyes:). But if I try to explain the whole thing I feel stupid and their eyes kinda glaze over. Blech

Kody Rookie
You're getting your license? That's awesome!! My dad wasn't a pilot, he just worked there. Now that I think about it I'm not sure what he did. It was so long ago I don't remember....maybe I'll ask him.

I've always lived in Utah, moved around a bit, but always in Utah. I too went to a bunch of different schools, but you have me beat. :) Most of my school hopping was my parents trying to find someplace to suite my learning style, I'm dyslexic and therefore absolute rubbish at spelling, english, and grammar; I was always held back because of it. I tried several different public schools (sometimes switching within the school mid-year to a different teacher), a couple private schools, and finally settled on home school with a couple classes at the local HS.

Now in college (I go to salt lake community) I hate how the first thing everybody asks you is "Where'd you go to HS??". If I just say "I was home schooled" I always get funny looks and in one case special treatment (they wanted to make sure I wasn't having any problems socially :huh::rolleyes:). But if I try to explain the whole thing I feel stupid and their eyes kinda glaze over. Blech

lol, I get stuck at the HS question too. I never know which one to use. Usually, I just tell them Snow Canyon High, the school I graduated from.

Your spelling and grammar seems fine to me =p and yes I am aware that there is a spell-check :P

Guest melannen
lol, I get stuck at the HS question too. I never know which one to use. Usually, I just tell them Snow Canyon High, the school I graduated from.

Your spelling and grammar seems fine to me =p and yes I am aware that there is a spell-check :P

I actually use my word processing program to check my spelling because it checks my grammar too. And I've worked really hard at it, so it's better now.

GFBetsy Rookie
I'm from St. George, Utah... and probably the only one. :P

Actually, I've got a cousin and 2 second cousins living in the St. George area who all have celiac. Also, there's a store in St. George called "Water 2 Go" (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called . .. Water something, anyway) that I've heard has a really good selection of gluten-free items.

Have fun, and welcome!

BEtsy

Kody Rookie
Actually, I've got a cousin and 2 second cousins living in the St. George area who all have celiac. Also, there's a store in St. George called "Water 2 Go" (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called . .. Water something, anyway) that I've heard has a really good selection of gluten-free items.

Have fun, and welcome!

BEtsy

Holy crap, I just looked that place up and its like right by where I live. You rock. I'm gonna head there and check it out right now. You rock. Wait, i said that twice... yeah, you rock. thanks a ton! :P

GFBetsy Rookie
Holy crap, I just looked that place up and its like right by where I live. You rock. I'm gonna head there and check it out right now. You rock. Wait, i said that twice... yeah, you rock. thanks a ton! :P

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You're welcome!

By the way, for everyone in the Utah County area, there's a GIG meeting Thursday the 5th at 7 pm at Timpanogos Hospital in Orem. There will be a dietician there speaking about eating a healthy gluten free diet.

Because I wasn't thinking, I will also be holding a cooking class that night at the Orem Macey's at 7 pm. We'll be making Taco soup, Double Potato Soup, and "Leftover Roast" soup. We'll also have some gluten-free bread there for people to try. Just call the Orem Macey's if you'd like to attend. Ask the people at the service desk to add your name to the list (so we'll have a more accurate count on the food).

We're also doing a class on October 19th at the Provo Macey's - we'll be doing Thanksgiving foods (stuffing, rolls, baked apples, and pumpkin custard). Hope y'all can make it to one of our classes . . . they're fun!

Did anyone end up going to the GIG meeting? I totally spaced it :P Betsy, I can't wait for your thanksgiving class! I have it marked on my calender!

GFBetsy Rookie

I missed the GIG meeting . . . we had someone come to our class who had also been at the meeting, but she said she thinks the dietician got to the stuff she really wanted to hear after she left to come to our class.

I look forward to seeing you at our next class! Have you made bread on your own since we practiced? Chrissy called me a couple of times - she made a dinner for her sister and family and her sister told her "I could do this diet if I got to eat like this all the time!" Fun, huh?

Betsy

I am not too bummed about missing the meeting. When I was diagnosed, all the dietitian did was print out some stuff from celiac.com and read it to me. She didn't seem to know more than I did...and I had scoured the web for info the day I was diagnosed. Oh well.

How did the baking class go? I'm sad I missed that. I'll be at the next one though :) for sure!

I made some of BH's bread and it turned out great. I also mixed up a batch and made pizza crusts. And I made the pancake mix you gave me! That was really good!! What did Chrissy make for her family? I hope she's having an easier time with things.

Steph

justjane Rookie

hey guys,

Yep it's been a while sinse I've said anything in here, just poked my head in to see whats up!

Hey Cody!

Guys... Guess what.... I got accepted to the Y for next semester! I might be coming down to Provo after all!

Anyways, that's all I got :)

HUGS!

Jane

Guest melannen

Jane that is so cool! congrats!!

Did anybody go to Against the Grain's one year anniversary thing?? I was planning on it but I've been sick all weekend (glutened thursday night :() and didn't feel up to going.

congrats Jane! that should be fun for you :)

didn't even know about the against the grain thing, or i might have gone. i still need to get out there sometime and check out the store! sorry to hear you were sick Jessica :P that's not cool.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Guest melannen
didn't even know about the against the grain thing, or i might have gone. i still need to get out there sometime and check out the store! sorry to hear you were sick Jessica :P that's not cool.

You're telling me, blech! Today I'm finally starting to feel better (yay!)

I heard about the against the grain thing from an email; I think it was a newsletter from the utah GIG group....or it might have been from the utah silly yaks yahoo group. I don't remember and am too lazy to check right now. :rolleyes: If I think about it later I'll check and let you know.

BTW who all is going to the Pre-Thanksgiving feast?? I am!! I'm so excited! It was awesome last year to look at that huge table of food and know that I could eat everything on it :D :D :D

GFBetsy Rookie
Jane that is so cool! congrats!!

Did anybody go to Against the Grain's one year anniversary thing?? I was planning on it but I've been sick all weekend (glutened thursday night :() and didn't feel up to going.

I missed it! Totally forgot! I also had family in town, so that is part of the reason I forgot, but I'm kicking myself anyway.

Our last class went okay. There were 11 people there (including my Dad) and only one had to cook gluten free . . . most were just there because the soup recipes sounded good! (And they were!) We told everyone why we cook gluten free anyway, and one of the ladies who came to the class came up afterward and said: "I'm going to get tested for this . . . I have a lot of these problems, and this just seems like it ties is all together!" So maybe we've done some good in the world!

congrats, Jane! That's fabulous!

Archived