This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened At The Dentist

mmaccartney

mmaccartney Explorer

I went to a new dentist on Wed. I've not been to a dentist since I started getting really sick in 2004. I did my research on this board, and called ahead to inquire as to their cleanings "stuff" and the flouride that they use. I was reassured that there was no gluten or dairy in any of their supplies, including gloves. When I went in, I had to fill out all the new patient forms. I filled in the allergy section (even though celiac isn't an allergy but it is easier for people to understand that way) indicating wheat, rye, barley, oats, and dairy were no good. Further they had a medical alert section in the top corner of the form where again I indicated wheat, rye, barley, oats, and dairy.

everyone along the way discussed it with me, the front desk, the dental assistant, and the doctor. But something was still bothering me, you know that sinking feeling you get when something just doesn't seem right? Well, I did my best not to swallow anything, but of course some got down.

Well, all day yesterday I had D, brain fog, and another one of my families favorite symptoms, I get mean for no reason. Arthritis flared up yesterday afternoon.

I truly believe it was the dentist, it was a corporate dental office, or perhaps a franchise, but certainly wasn't a "typical" practice that I am used to. I control my diet very well, and nothing I ate that day could have been contaminated.

Oh well, the world isn't perfect, and everything we do takes a risk. I'm feeling better today, I feel like eating and no more D, live and learn I guess.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

judy05 Apprentice
I went to a new dentist on Wed. I've not been to a dentist since I started getting really sick in 2004. I did my research on this board, and called ahead to inquire as to their cleanings "stuff" and the flouride that they use. I was reassured that there was no gluten or dairy in any of their supplies, including gloves. When I went in, I had to fill out all the new patient forms. I filled in the allergy section (even though celiac isn't an allergy but it is easier for people to understand that way) indicating wheat, rye, barley, oats, and dairy were no good. Further they had a medical alert section in the top corner of the form where again I indicated wheat, rye, barley, oats, and dairy.

everyone along the way discussed it with me, the front desk, the dental assistant, and the doctor. But something was still bothering me, you know that sinking feeling you get when something just doesn't seem right? Well, I did my best not to swallow anything, but of course some got down.

Well, all day yesterday I had D, brain fog, and another one of my families favorite symptoms, I get mean for no reason. Arthritis flared up yesterday afternoon.

I truly believe it was the dentist, it was a corporate dental office, or perhaps a franchise, but certainly wasn't a "typical" practice that I am used to. I control my diet very well, and nothing I ate that day could have been contaminated.

Oh well, the world isn't perfect, and everything we do takes a risk. I'm feeling better today, I feel like eating and no more D, live and learn I guess.

Did the dentist give you a topical anesthetic ( rubbed on gums with a q-tip)? I went to a dentist who "claimed" he knew all about Celiacs but he "zapped" me with a mint-flavored topical anesthetic, I was unable to walk out of the office without help. I found a good dentist who admitted he knew very little about gluten but he made a extra special effort not to give me anything which might contain gluten. I forego the topical anesthetic and use only the needle.He also has other celiac patients but none of them are sensitive to topical anesthetics. You have to become proactive with this disease, I really don't care if I am bothering them, we are paying them very well for their services + we are paving the road for all those who are not yet diagnosed.

mmaccartney Explorer

Thanks for the reply Judy!

Well no anesthetic at all. I was only getting a routine cleaning w/ flouride treatment.

The part that frustrates me is that I called ahead to have them check, they said the assistnant checked and everything was just fine for me. Further, the receptionist, the assistant, and the dentist all had conversations with me that day regarding celiac and gluten intolerance!

I know it wasn't my food, I make large batches of food during the weekend, and eat it all week long so if it was my food, I would've gotten sick almost everyday that week...

tammy Community Regular

My past experience with the Dentist included a general check-up. He cleaned my teeth with the "cleaning machine" and then used a paste to polish my teeth. That's it. But on the way home I felt funny. My throat became sore and then that was it. So I asked that the polish be omitted. :D

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

• 3 weeks later...
scrunt Newbie
Thanks for the reply Judy!

Well no anesthetic at all. I was only getting a routine cleaning w/ flouride treatment.

The part that frustrates me is that I called ahead to have them check, they said the assistnant checked and everything was just fine for me. Further, the receptionist, the assistant, and the dentist all had conversations with me that day regarding celiac and gluten intolerance!

I know it wasn't my food, I make large batches of food during the weekend, and eat it all week long so if it was my food, I would've gotten sick almost everyday that week...

I guess one of the things that I've learned with this is that you have to ask to see ingredient labels. I'll often ask and if someone goes , "Uhm, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have gluten", that's when I know they have no clue. I hated being the one that held up a line, or that caused a scene, but it almost behooves you to get the names of the all the products used, and call the manufacturers. Then let the Dentists' office know the information you found out, so that others don't have the same problems.

It sucks. I personally hate dentists, and I haven't really been to one since I was diagnosed. I'm not looking forward to interpreting flouride containers. :(

• 2 weeks later...
floridanative Community Regular

I totally thought my dentist was great until I figured out that he had probably never heard of Celiac disease. When I mention it he gets uncomfortable and doesn't say anything. I had two cavities filled last week and when I left I decided I need a new dentist. I guess most dentists don't know much about Celiac but it looks like they'd ask questions or be interested in learning about it if they have a patient with it. But then again, if everyone who had Celiac knew it and stopped eating gluten, I'm guessing there would be a lot less cavities/teeth problems for dentists to fix.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksmith#1 Newbie
I guess one of the things that I've learned with this is that you have to ask to see ingredient labels. I'll often ask and if someone goes , "Uhm, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have gluten", that's when I know they have no clue. I hated being the one that held up a line, or that caused a scene, but it almost behooves you to get the names of the all the products used, and call the manufacturers. Then let the Dentists' office know the information you found out, so that others don't have the same problems.

It sucks. I personally hate dentists, and I haven't really been to one since I was diagnosed. I'm not looking forward to interpreting flouride containers. :(

Hello, I'm a Dental Hygienist, and was diagnosed 5 years ago with celiacdisease. I personally call the companies that I order supplies from, and make sure that all my products contain no gluten, unfortunately not everyone can have a hygienist that is empathetic with the agony that we go through as celiacs. My best advise to you, is NOT to avoid the Dentist, or Hygienist, but politely ask that they use flour of pumice and water to polish your teeth instead of their "paste". It is a standard thing that all dental offices use, and contains absolutely no gluten.

mmaccartney Explorer
Hello, I'm a Dental Hygienist, and was diagnosed 5 years ago with celiacdisease. I personally call the companies that I order supplies from, and make sure that all my products contain no gluten, unfortunately not everyone can have a hygienist that is empathetic with the agony that we go through as celiacs. My best advise to you, is NOT to avoid the Dentist, or Hygienist, but politely ask that they use flour of pumice and water to polish your teeth instead of their "paste". It is a standard thing that all dental offices use, and contains absolutely no gluten.

I wish you were in Northeast Ohio!!

The worst part was that I was going to a new Dentist as my old dentist (who would have been fully cooperative with me as they are great) wasn't covered under my new insurance. I'm actually thinking about skipping the insurance next time and just going with my old dentist..

BUT I do have a question! Being a Dental Hygienist have you come across specific "brands" that we should avoid due to gluten and casein content???

ksmith#1 Newbie
I wish you were in Northeast Ohio!!

The worst part was that I was going to a new Dentist as my old dentist (who would have been fully cooperative with me as they are great) wasn't covered under my new insurance. I'm actually thinking about skipping the insurance next time and just going with my old dentist..

BUT I do have a question! Being a Dental Hygienist have you come across specific "brands" that we should avoid due to gluten and casein content???

I do understand about insurance issues, and dental treatment is very expensive. You might give them a second chance, however sometimes you have to go with your gut, if you feel like you weren't important as a patient, then maybe it's best to go to the people that you do trust and feel comfortable with. I can tell you that at present, I've run across no products(that I use) that contain any gluten, but I'm not certain of casein. I'll certainly be more aware of that issue too. Best of luck

• 2 years later...
tmhamlin7 Newbie

Hi. I have been gluten-free, DF, and SF (and several others) since thanksgiving 2008. I went to the dentist in January 2009 and she was extremely impressed with how much my gums have improved. She had been watching some teeth and they hadn't gotten worse. I just went yesterday (july 2009) and now these teeth are sooooo much worse. She is very concerned with how aggressive the decay is from the 6 months that have gone by. I seem to be sensitive to dyes so I switched to Tom's of maine wintermint toothpaste ~4mos ago.... When I went to the dentist, they seemed almost put out by the need to use gluten free products. The dentist was nice but even she seemed frustrated and was only concerned about hte teeth and not my health. Help! Suggestions?? Why are my teeth so bad all of a sudden? A was wondering if maybe wheat noodles (products) aren't as bad for teeth and rice is so maybe I should be brushing more often??? Or the toothpaste is too harsh (it has calcuim in it) or something? And please, how do I find a dentist who is knowledgable or at least sensitive to allergies/Gluten?? Thank you!

Gemini Experienced

I go to the dentist every 3 months for cleanings and other dental work and I have yet to come across anything which contains gluten. I have used everything they normally use, including the topical anesthetic, with no problems whatsoever. I have checked ingredient labels and had my dentist check himself as he is somewhat knowledgeable about Celiac with no gluten found. The VAST majority of companies I have contacted said they normally process their products without any gluten containing ingredients, including the flavored ones. They are aware of the problem and want to make sure everyone can use their products because it's bad business if they don't.

I think people sweat this way too much and wonder if many are not sensitive to other ingredients as well. Not all reactions are caused by gluten and if there is fear playing on your mind about the dental visit, that could spark problems with your stomach. The only gluten I have discovered in a dental related product is some of the OTC toothpastes out there. They add a lot of crap to make it taste sweet so people will use them. I can't be that lucky that I have a dentist who has unknowingly chosen all gluten free products!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi. I have been gluten-free, DF, and SF (and several others) since thanksgiving 2008. I went to the dentist in January 2009 and she was extremely impressed with how much my gums have improved. She had been watching some teeth and they hadn't gotten worse. I just went yesterday (july 2009) and now these teeth are sooooo much worse. She is very concerned with how aggressive the decay is from the 6 months that have gone by. I seem to be sensitive to dyes so I switched to Tom's of maine wintermint toothpaste ~4mos ago.... When I went to the dentist, they seemed almost put out by the need to use gluten free products. The dentist was nice but even she seemed frustrated and was only concerned about hte teeth and not my health. Help! Suggestions?? Why are my teeth so bad all of a sudden? A was wondering if maybe wheat noodles (products) aren't as bad for teeth and rice is so maybe I should be brushing more often??? Or the toothpaste is too harsh (it has calcuim in it) or something? And please, how do I find a dentist who is knowledgable or at least sensitive to allergies/Gluten?? Thank you!

It is not easy to find dentists in the US that are knowledgeable about celiac and whether or not what they are using is safe. I did find one who checked everything she used and they did have to order a couple of products specially because what they generally used in the office wasn't safe. I have been glutened every time I went except for when I went to her and my gluten symptoms are specifically gluten symptoms and involve much more than an 'upset' tummy as I have strong neuro impact. The biggest risk, as was mentioned by others, is the polishing paste and the gel they use to numb the area before they inject the anesthetic. When I look for a new dentist I schedule an appointment to talk with the doctor first about the issue. I have never been charged for this 'interview'. I have had one who gave me a list of the products he would use along with the company phone number. The only problem with this is some companies will only disclose the info to the dentists office, when that occurs I just had to call the office and then they did take the time to check themselves.

Gemini I am glad you have been so fortunate but not all of us have had the same experience.

Tim-n-VA Contributor

First of all, I think you have to do what works for you.

I have asked multiple times in the dental threads for someone to give me a product/brand of dental supply that contains gluten and have never seen one. The closest is a list of companies that give a CYA answer regarding not being able to guarantee what their suppliers do in terms of cross contamination.

I think it would be a great place to start a discussion if I could say "Product X has wheat as an inert ingredient..." because so many people would not even think about ingredients that are normally food being in medical/dental products.

Gemini Experienced
It is not easy to find dentists in the US that are knowledgeable about celiac and whether or not what they are using is safe. I did find one who checked everything she used and they did have to order a couple of products specially because what they generally used in the office wasn't safe. I have been glutened every time I went except for when I went to her and my gluten symptoms are specifically gluten symptoms and involve much more than an 'upset' tummy as I have strong neuro impact. The biggest risk, as was mentioned by others, is the polishing paste and the gel they use to numb the area before they inject the anesthetic. When I look for a new dentist I schedule an appointment to talk with the doctor first about the issue. I have never been charged for this 'interview'. I have had one who gave me a list of the products he would use along with the company phone number. The only problem with this is some companies will only disclose the info to the dentists office, when that occurs I just had to call the office and then they did take the time to check themselves.

Gemini I am glad you have been so fortunate but not all of us have had the same experience.

I much be truly lucky then to have such a well versed dentist in Celiac! ;) The point I was trying to make is that the vast majority of products do not contain gluten and I have done my homework. That is why I was wondering if many here actually are sensitive to other ingredients in these products? Sometimes other sensitivities can mimic a gluten exposure. Dairy gives me the same reaction as a glutening.

I guess I am at a loss because I had such an easy time with the dental issue, which is important when you have had the amount of dental work I have had and will continue to have. Even though my dentist is well versed, to a point, I still had to correct him on a few points but finding out ingredients was not hard at all. They were more than willing to do their homework and then we found out that none of his products contained anything of worry. That surprised me but it was a pleasant surprise. He also made the remark that other Celiac patients did not have a problem either so I was happy with that.

Archived