This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brain Fog?

Super Bellybutton

Guest adamssa

Liver Toxicity can also substantially contribute to brain fog---when I dextoxed my liver it really helped after a month. It is possible to have brain fog from your liver, AND Candida AND your gluten problems. Often one will aggravate the other, something I've learned firsthand. Does anyone else freak themselves out when you have a clear day and then you think your fogged again but aren't entirely sure?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest adamssa

Another thing, do you guys think giving up dark chocolate is necessary to avoid the fog? Have you found that helpful? I've cut out all gluten and almost all sugar, and not too many carbs, except the sugar in natural dark chocolate, my one vice...but when I feel clear it's so worth it that I'd give it up if I know it made a difference.

Super Bellybutton Rookie
3 months is not long enough to get rid of severe candida. Look into threelac. I just purchased this, and will post results in the future.

This diet can take a long time for some to feel better. For me a lot of symptoms slowly lifted over the months, but I still have some here and there. Some feel better quickly, but some take a long time. It depends on damage and you as an individual. 3-4 days is not much time, and you should def. give it more than a month.

Honestly, you probably can't control candida in 3 months...but you should at least feel better, noticeably at least. I didn't feel noticably better. But I'll stay gluten free for about 3 months and see what happens.

Another thing, do you guys think giving up dark chocolate is necessary to avoid the fog? Have you found that helpful? I've cut out all gluten and almost all sugar, and not too many carbs, except the sugar in natural dark chocolate, my one vice...but when I feel clear it's so worth it that I'd give it up if I know it made a difference.

I don't think giving up chocolate is necessary since it's a safe food IMO. I've never heard of an allergy to chocolate (don't confuse allergies with MILK chocolate).

queenofhearts Explorer
It's been almost 2 months for me and mine is slowly improving. The other day I found my way back to the front desk of a new doctor's office all by myself! I never could have done that before. I had no navigational ability whatsoever. I was so excited I called my mom to tell her. :D

Wow... you mean my complete lack of sense of direction is gluten-related TOO? I got lost driving home from my mom's house last week... missed a turn & got hopelessly mixed up. Needless to say I've driven that route before! It sure would be nice to have a clue in the mental map department. Yet another thing to look forward to!

Leah

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I didn't even know I had brain fog until I went gluten free. Within 3 days, I realized I had been living in a fog and the fog was gone. I still feel slightly foggy sometimes, now that I am aware of it, but I think it is when I have been glutened.

me too, i didnt realise that i had brain fog as i was` living with it constantly, it wasnt untill i went gluten-free and then accidently glutend myself that i had a bad attack and the brain fog was awfull, i realised how ide nombed myself to living with it, it was just normal to me.

n D nile Newbie

Hello, I'm not sure how to do this. I have been having tons of health problems in the last year and since my two sons have celiacs, they convinced me to consider that I may have it also. I have been off of gluten for about four months, but have challenged it several times, about 3 weeks in, then every month or so. I have some questions because I am still not convinced that I have it. Does it cause migraines in anyone else? Does it cause (how can I put this nicely?) an itchy rectum? And most mysterious to me, can your symtoms be delayed by several days? I expected an immediate reaction after eating off the diet, but don't have a reaction until about day 2 or 3 after I've eaten it. Another thing I have had, but it has gotten significantly better with vitamins, is little muscle jerks. Which leads to another problem I'm struggling with, gluten free supplements. With my last big reaction, I cannot think of anything I may have ingested, but the vitamins are questionable. I'm having trouble finding info about their status. I hate this!

For some of us there is a definate 'high' associated with the glutening. It is very much like doing speed. The brain goes into overdrive which causes obsessive and manic thought patterns and abnormal energy levels. When my DS would call with all these grandiose plans the first year after his diagnosis I would always brace for the 'gloom and doom just this side of suicidal' call that would come a couple days later.

Also a note about loperamide, I never found this did anything other than increase the amount of time I would suffer from the joint and muscle effects. While it does keep you from getting D it also keeps your system from clearing out the gluten ASAP. In addition if the loperamide is Immodium, which many of us take without the slightest thought (myself included for years) it is not gluten free and simply keeps the whole miserable process going.

Rice Cakes Newbie

If celiac disease attacks the cerebellum, but merely to a lesser degree than full Gluten Ataxia, then navigational trouble would be unsurprising since the cerebellum is needed for navigation. If this is the source of some of the disorientation associated with celiac disease, it would explain why I still can't learn how to ride a bicycle. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

I have had accidental glutenings caused by a few crumbs at work. The whole thing is with these, for the last three weeks I have had terrible brain fog, I feel so senile lately.

ianm Apprentice

Mine went away and it was by far the worst symptom for me.

Archived