23 replies to this topic

#1 Alicia M

Alicia M

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:38 PM

Does anyone have problems with dehydration? I literally drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. I do not drink any other liquids except that new mineral water. I drink alcohol one-two nights out of the week. With all that said, I get dehydrated an awful lot. I spent four hours last Saturday at the emergency clinic getting two bags of fluid pumped into me because I was so dehydrated. I don't understand why I could be so dehydrated when I drink so much water.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:48 PM

Does anyone have problems with dehydration? I literally drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. I do not drink any other liquids except that new mineral water. I drink alcohol one-two nights out of the week. With all that said, I get dehydrated an awful lot. I spent four hours last Saturday at the emergency clinic getting two bags of fluid pumped into me because I was so dehydrated. I don't understand why I could be so dehydrated when I drink so much water.

Have they checked you for diabetes or kidney problems? Have you brought this up with your doctor?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

I have the same problem and have had many visits to the emergency room. I put a little shake of salt in my water to add electrolytes. Or you could drink Gatorade, Propel, or something else that has electrolytes. Even pouring a little fruit juice in my water helps, but as much as I drink, I can't drink enough if it's plain water. I have had this problem for as long as I can remember and drink at least two quarts of water a day.

I have been checked for diabetes, but not kidney problems.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#4 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:22 PM

is it possible that you are either getting a bit of gluten in your diet (i get horribly dehydrated when i do), or that your mineral water has sodium? i drink copious amounts of water, anyway, but just to make sure.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#5 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:41 AM

My dehydration gets worse when I get glutened, but I have to watch it all the time.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#6 JenAnderson

JenAnderson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:57 AM

It seems that I stay dehydrated all the time. I can go into the ER and get an IV and about a day after that, BOOM...dehydration again. I drink water all the time. If I have a drink of alcohol or Dr. Pepper, it's all downhill from there.
Jennifer Anderson

Celiac Disease-since 2003
Asperger's Disorder/OCD
Daughter-11- Asperger's Disorder
Son-7-Celiac Disease
Husband-Normal
Now allergic to eggs, dairy, peanuts, corn, rice, tomatoes, potatoes, and soy (11/2009)

#7 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:00 AM

you should drink something with electrolytes in it because that should help the dehydration more than just plain water, that is what seems to help me when i get dehydrated.
Molly

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

I don't know if I'm actually dehydrated, but my lips are almost always dry. (Not chapped or red, just dry) I know I don't drink enough water :ph34r: When glutened, it gets worse.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:34 PM

I have always suffered from dehydration problems. I had to go to the E.R. for the first time when I was 8 years old. I have been on a gluten free diet since I was 13, and yes I still suffer from dehydration especially if I get glutened. It used to be a guaranteed trip to the E.R. I would get both ends going and it wouldn't stop. Since I started going to accupuncture, I have had no major problems when I accidently got glutened. I have always drank gatorade. I can now drink just plain water. (Before it went straight thru me).

#10 Alicia M

Alicia M

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

I have the same problem and have had many visits to the emergency room. I put a little shake of salt in my water to add electrolytes. Or you could drink Gatorade, Propel, or something else that has electrolytes. Even pouring a little fruit juice in my water helps, but as much as I drink, I can't drink enough if it's plain water. I have had this problem for as long as I can remember and drink at least two quarts of water a day.

I have been checked for diabetes, but not kidney problems.

The thing is when I go to the emergency room for dehydration they test my electrolytes and they are perfect. I do drink Gaterorade time to time, especially if I am working out. I have been checked for diabetes as well and it came back negative. I also have been checked for kidney problems and that came back fine too.

#11 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:25 AM

Natural coconut water can be excellent for hydration. You can drink it straight out of a coconut (if you can find one) or you can buy it at some health food stores.

Other than that, I'm not sure. I hate it when they test you for everything and say it's all normal, when clearly there's a problem. :( I hope you find your answer soon.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#12 Alicia M

Alicia M

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:30 AM

I have always suffered from dehydration problems. I had to go to the E.R. for the first time when I was 8 years old. I have been on a gluten free diet since I was 13, and yes I still suffer from dehydration especially if I get glutened. It used to be a guaranteed trip to the E.R. I would get both ends going and it wouldn't stop. Since I started going to accupuncture, I have had no major problems when I accidently got glutened. I have always drank gatorade. I can now drink just plain water. (Before it went straight thru me).

Thanks so much for your response. I was doing accupressure and that seemed to work but that got so expensive. I am going to try accupuncture and start drinking more gatorade. Thanks.

#13 schuyler

schuyler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:03 PM

Whenever I'm dehydrated, I drink Pedalyte or Gatorade, because they help replace electrolytes.
Danielle

Diagnosed with Celiac 1/3/06 at age 20

Also dairy free and soy light

Guardian to 3 boys, ages 4, 3, and 2 who are gluten-free, df, corn free, and soy light

#14 indyceliac

indyceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:44 PM

Isnt this interesting. I was going to post about this but figured it was just me.
Ive always had a problem with dehydration also. Cant tell u how many times I had to go to the hospital when I was pregnant because of dehydration-which would induce contractions.
Still, no matter how much i drink (and i really hate water..but force myself).., I still tend to get dehydrated and get headaches from it. I avoid all alcohol now, too. Im hoping the longer Im on the diet the better all my weird little symptons will be.
I dont know how long you've been gluten-free but could it be if your intestines are damaged, as I know mine are, that we're just not absorbing water as well, also? Does that make sense?

#15 GlutenWrangler

GlutenWrangler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:24 PM

I completely understand. I drink over 3 gallons of bottled water and gatorade a day. Its hard to stay hydrated.
Celiac Sprue
Multiple Food Allergies
Diagnosed June 2006
Stopped Eating June 2007
IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: