This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dehydration

Alicia M

Alicia M Newbie

Does anyone have problems with dehydration? I literally drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. I do not drink any other liquids except that new mineral water. I drink alcohol one-two nights out of the week. With all that said, I get dehydrated an awful lot. I spent four hours last Saturday at the emergency clinic getting two bags of fluid pumped into me because I was so dehydrated. I don't understand why I could be so dehydrated when I drink so much water.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Does anyone have problems with dehydration? I literally drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. I do not drink any other liquids except that new mineral water. I drink alcohol one-two nights out of the week. With all that said, I get dehydrated an awful lot. I spent four hours last Saturday at the emergency clinic getting two bags of fluid pumped into me because I was so dehydrated. I don't understand why I could be so dehydrated when I drink so much water.

Have they checked you for diabetes or kidney problems? Have you brought this up with your doctor?

CarlaB Enthusiast

I have the same problem and have had many visits to the emergency room. I put a little shake of salt in my water to add electrolytes. Or you could drink Gatorade, Propel, or something else that has electrolytes. Even pouring a little fruit juice in my water helps, but as much as I drink, I can't drink enough if it's plain water. I have had this problem for as long as I can remember and drink at least two quarts of water a day.

I have been checked for diabetes, but not kidney problems.

lorka150 Collaborator

is it possible that you are either getting a bit of gluten in your diet (i get horribly dehydrated when i do), or that your mineral water has sodium? i drink copious amounts of water, anyway, but just to make sure.

CarlaB Enthusiast

My dehydration gets worse when I get glutened, but I have to watch it all the time.

JenAnderson Rookie

It seems that I stay dehydrated all the time. I can go into the ER and get an IV and about a day after that, BOOM...dehydration again. I drink water all the time. If I have a drink of alcohol or Dr. Pepper, it's all downhill from there.

flagbabyds Collaborator

you should drink something with electrolytes in it because that should help the dehydration more than just plain water, that is what seems to help me when i get dehydrated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't know if I'm actually dehydrated, but my lips are almost always dry. (Not chapped or red, just dry) I know I don't drink enough water :ph34r: When glutened, it gets worse.

Generic Apprentice

I have always suffered from dehydration problems. I had to go to the E.R. for the first time when I was 8 years old. I have been on a gluten free diet since I was 13, and yes I still suffer from dehydration especially if I get glutened. It used to be a guaranteed trip to the E.R. I would get both ends going and it wouldn't stop. Since I started going to accupuncture, I have had no major problems when I accidently got glutened. I have always drank gatorade. I can now drink just plain water. (Before it went straight thru me).

Alicia M Newbie
I have the same problem and have had many visits to the emergency room. I put a little shake of salt in my water to add electrolytes. Or you could drink Gatorade, Propel, or something else that has electrolytes. Even pouring a little fruit juice in my water helps, but as much as I drink, I can't drink enough if it's plain water. I have had this problem for as long as I can remember and drink at least two quarts of water a day.

I have been checked for diabetes, but not kidney problems.

The thing is when I go to the emergency room for dehydration they test my electrolytes and they are perfect. I do drink Gaterorade time to time, especially if I am working out. I have been checked for diabetes as well and it came back negative. I also have been checked for kidney problems and that came back fine too.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Natural coconut water can be excellent for hydration. You can drink it straight out of a coconut (if you can find one) or you can buy it at some health food stores.

Other than that, I'm not sure. I hate it when they test you for everything and say it's all normal, when clearly there's a problem. :( I hope you find your answer soon.

Alicia M Newbie
I have always suffered from dehydration problems. I had to go to the E.R. for the first time when I was 8 years old. I have been on a gluten free diet since I was 13, and yes I still suffer from dehydration especially if I get glutened. It used to be a guaranteed trip to the E.R. I would get both ends going and it wouldn't stop. Since I started going to accupuncture, I have had no major problems when I accidently got glutened. I have always drank gatorade. I can now drink just plain water. (Before it went straight thru me).

Thanks so much for your response. I was doing accupressure and that seemed to work but that got so expensive. I am going to try accupuncture and start drinking more gatorade. Thanks.

schuyler Apprentice

Whenever I'm dehydrated, I drink Pedalyte or Gatorade, because they help replace electrolytes.

indyceliac Newbie

Isnt this interesting. I was going to post about this but figured it was just me.

Ive always had a problem with dehydration also. Cant tell u how many times I had to go to the hospital when I was pregnant because of dehydration-which would induce contractions.

Still, no matter how much i drink (and i really hate water..but force myself).., I still tend to get dehydrated and get headaches from it. I avoid all alcohol now, too. Im hoping the longer Im on the diet the better all my weird little symptons will be.

I dont know how long you've been gluten-free but could it be if your intestines are damaged, as I know mine are, that we're just not absorbing water as well, also? Does that make sense?

GlutenWrangler Contributor

I completely understand. I drink over 3 gallons of bottled water and gatorade a day. Its hard to stay hydrated.

Alicia M Newbie
Isnt this interesting. I was going to post about this but figured it was just me.

Ive always had a problem with dehydration also. Cant tell u how many times I had to go to the hospital when I was pregnant because of dehydration-which would induce contractions.

Still, no matter how much i drink (and i really hate water..but force myself).., I still tend to get dehydrated and get headaches from it. I avoid all alcohol now, too. Im hoping the longer Im on the diet the better all my weird little symptons will be.

I dont know how long you've been gluten-free but could it be if your intestines are damaged, as I know mine are, that we're just not absorbing water as well, also? Does that make sense?

Thanks for your response. I have been gluten-free for two years, but not strict, but I have been super strict for a month now and will continue to be strict for the rest of my life. How long have you been gluten-free? Do you notice that you are getting better? I am actually going to get another test done to see how much damage I have to my intestines.

lindalee Enthusiast
is it possible that you are either getting a bit of gluten in your diet (i get horribly dehydrated when i do), or that your mineral water has sodium? i drink copious amounts of water, anyway, but just to make sure.

I wake up thirsty and drink water by the bed. I've started drinking a mineral water (Gerolsteiner) it does have sodium but it makes me feel better, I think. Jersey Angel, my lips stay dry all the time.

lorka150 Collaborator

homemade gatorade:

Dissolve 4 tbsp. sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt in 1/4 c. boiling water.

Add 2 tbsp. lemon juice and 3 and 3/4 c. cold water. Chill.

Green12 Enthusiast

It seems dehydration is a common theme with many on this board.

• 6 years later...
Keshavdas Apprentice

Another mystery solved. I started getting palpitations some years ago and my family doctor told me I was dehydrated and I thought he was crazy. The thing is - I am rarely thirsty. At a certain point I had to take it seriously and force myself to drink fluids. I HATE drinking water in any large amount. What helps is coconut water. I buy Vitacoco which I get cheap at my local deli. I've used it for years on breakfast cereals instead of milk. Every day when I go to work - I pick up gatorade which is frequently on sale at one place or the other - so I will buy as many of the two liter bottles as I can carry home. It's weird what others were saying about fluids just passing through. That's always been the case with me and it never occurred to me that it could be a malabsorbtion issue, tho I have suspected that was the case as regards why I've lost so much weight over the last few decades. 23 years ago I weighed 185. Back then I stopped alcohol (I always got hangovers so much worse than my friends) and fun drugs - but never thought that could account for my weight dropping so much. I now weigh 150 to 155 on a good day. I really hope that with healing the malabsorbtion will reverse and I'll be able to retain fluids in a more normal fashion. As things stand, sometimes I only have to look at a glass of water and I have to run off to pee. :huh:

PennyH Newbie

This forum is wonderful, just when you're feeling weird, you see others are having the same issues! I've been fighting dehydration for years. It makes me very tired and my lips and mouth are always very dry. I hope someone can chime in on the reason.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Malabsorption of fluids is consistent with Celiac in addition to the malabsorption of vitamins and minerals. I recently read an article that said children with undiagnosed Celiac are prone to dehydration. The article was about children, but I suspect the same holds true for adults. It makes sense that if you aren't absorbing properly you can become dehydrated in spite of how much you drink. Google Celiac and Dehydration and you can find a lot of information.

Azuremackey Newbie

I am newly diagnosed ( gluten-free for 3 months) I have the same problem. I drink almost 2 gallons of water a day and am still constantly thirsty. I have tried some herbal teas but some give me stomach issues has anyone else had this issue with teas?

sherrylynn Contributor

I also have a problem with dehydration. I just thought it was because I have diarrhea all the time.

Archived