23 replies to this topic

#16 Alicia M

Alicia M

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:54 AM

Isnt this interesting. I was going to post about this but figured it was just me.
Ive always had a problem with dehydration also. Cant tell u how many times I had to go to the hospital when I was pregnant because of dehydration-which would induce contractions.
Still, no matter how much i drink (and i really hate water..but force myself).., I still tend to get dehydrated and get headaches from it. I avoid all alcohol now, too. Im hoping the longer Im on the diet the better all my weird little symptons will be.
I dont know how long you've been gluten-free but could it be if your intestines are damaged, as I know mine are, that we're just not absorbing water as well, also? Does that make sense?

Thanks for your response. I have been gluten-free for two years, but not strict, but I have been super strict for a month now and will continue to be strict for the rest of my life. How long have you been gluten-free? Do you notice that you are getting better? I am actually going to get another test done to see how much damage I have to my intestines.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lindalee

lindalee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:38 AM

is it possible that you are either getting a bit of gluten in your diet (i get horribly dehydrated when i do), or that your mineral water has sodium? i drink copious amounts of water, anyway, but just to make sure.

I wake up thirsty and drink water by the bed. I've started drinking a mineral water (Gerolsteiner) it does have sodium but it makes me feel better, I think. Jersey Angel, my lips stay dry all the time.
Lee

#18 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:43 AM

homemade gatorade:

Dissolve 4 tbsp. sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt in 1/4 c. boiling water.
Add 2 tbsp. lemon juice and 3 and 3/4 c. cold water. Chill.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#19 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:41 AM

It seems dehydration is a common theme with many on this board.

#20 Keshavdas

Keshavdas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Another mystery solved. I started getting palpitations some years ago and my family doctor told me I was dehydrated and I thought he was crazy. The thing is - I am rarely thirsty. At a certain point I had to take it seriously and force myself to drink fluids. I HATE drinking water in any large amount. What helps is coconut water. I buy Vitacoco which I get cheap at my local deli. I've used it for years on breakfast cereals instead of milk. Every day when I go to work - I pick up gatorade which is frequently on sale at one place or the other - so I will buy as many of the two liter bottles as I can carry home. It's weird what others were saying about fluids just passing through. That's always been the case with me and it never occurred to me that it could be a malabsorbtion issue, tho I have suspected that was the case as regards why I've lost so much weight over the last few decades. 23 years ago I weighed 185. Back then I stopped alcohol (I always got hangovers so much worse than my friends) and fun drugs - but never thought that could account for my weight dropping so much. I now weigh 150 to 155 on a good day. I really hope that with healing the malabsorbtion will reverse and I'll be able to retain fluids in a more normal fashion. As things stand, sometimes I only have to look at a glass of water and I have to run off to pee. :huh:

#21 PennyH

PennyH

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Does anyone have problems with dehydration? I literally drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. I do not drink any other liquids except that new mineral water. I drink alcohol one-two nights out of the week. With all that said, I get dehydrated an awful lot. I spent four hours last Saturday at the emergency clinic getting two bags of fluid pumped into me because I was so dehydrated. I don't understand why I could be so dehydrated when I drink so much water.

This forum is wonderful, just when you're feeling weird, you see others are having the same issues! I've been fighting dehydration for years. It makes me very tired and my lips and mouth are always very dry. I hope someone can chime in on the reason.

#22 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

Malabsorption of fluids is consistent with Celiac in addition to the malabsorption of vitamins and minerals. I recently read an article that said children with undiagnosed Celiac are prone to dehydration. The article was about children, but I suspect the same holds true for adults. It makes sense that if you aren't absorbing properly you can become dehydrated in spite of how much you drink. Google Celiac and Dehydration and you can find a lot of information.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#23 Azuremackey

Azuremackey

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

I am newly diagnosed ( gluten-free for 3 months) I have the same problem. I drink almost 2 gallons of water a day and am still constantly thirsty. I have tried some herbal teas but some give me stomach issues has anyone else had this issue with teas?

#24 sherrylynn

sherrylynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

I also have a problem with dehydration. I just thought it was because I have diarrhea all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: