10 replies to this topic

#1 tyki

tyki

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:17 PM

Well, I convinced my doctor that it was probably a good idea to run the Celiac Panel on me and my blood is on its way to the lab as of Monday, now the waiting begins.

Celiac Disease runs in my family, although until 2 weeks ago I didn't have a name for it. I can remember 30 years ago, hearing that "Grandma can't eat wheat, Grandma is bringing her special rolls with her, wow its hard to figure out something she can eat." Never heard why it was she couldn't eat wheat, just knew that my mother was frustrated with all the things she couldn't use to cook for my grandmother, and remember hearing aunts and uncles say they thought it was all in her head. Now my Grandmother is gone, and I'm in the midst of helping plan my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. Lo and behold, my dad's brother has listed "gluten-free" as a dietary restriction on his RSVP card. Since I'm helping with menu planning for the weekend, I turned to the web to learn what the heck gluten-free means. :blink: Wow.....gluten-free = can't eat wheat, just like Grandma, hmmm....let's look at this a little closer. I asked family members some questions and it seems my uncle was diagnosed because of DH.

You see, for the last 8 months, I've been bouncing between my family doc, a GI, and a OB/GYN to figure out what the heck is causing me to have severe diarrhea. The Gastro doc says "Colonoscopy came out just fine, must be your hormones, you're getting close to the change, or else its IBS, live with it."

The OB/GYN said, "Gastro doc should be fired for not taking a keener interest, yes hormones could influence it, but the Gastro doc should be all over a intestinal upset, shoving it off to the OB/GYN is like the OB/GYN saying let's call in a Neurosurgeon for your C-Section." In the meantime, the diarrhea continues and keeps me home from work a lot more than I'm happy with, but I can't be more than 10 feet from the bathroom.

Then about 3 months ago, the diarrhea seemed to clear up all on its own, gradually. When I put this together, with the recent stumble over family health history, and the Celiac websites....it all started to become clear. You see, about 3 months ago, my husband went on a drastic diet, and our pizza orders ceased, our trips to the fast food places stopped, and basically my consumption of wheat was cut drastically by accident. So then it was time to test the theory. I made a specific effort to have wheat of some sort with every meal for 5 days. Over that time, the diarrhea began to return and by the end of 5 days it was back in full explosive force.

So I took a printed copy of some Celiac web pages with me, and went off to the doctor's office with information and family history in hand. It didn't take long, and my family doc was pouring over the web page information and agreed that I should have the blood test done. He congratulated me, saying it is a very difficult diagnosis to make. Then he went to research what the code was for the Celiac Panel and my blood test was begun on its journey.

This is probably more than any of you wanted to read from a newbie, but I already feel like I'm on pins and needles or riding an emotional roller coaster. I'm just hoping to have the results back before the anniversary event in July. Because that weekend about 90% of my living relatives are all going to be gathered in one place.

Oops guess this should have been a reply, not a new thread. Can an administrator help and move this where it ought to be?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 khyricat

khyricat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:44 AM

its ok where it is.....

welcome!

I am still trying to get the docs to give me a positive diagnosis, but make sure you had gluten in your system BEFORE the bloodwork or it will come up negative or uncertain!

Good luck

#3 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:47 AM

Hi and welcome to the boards :D !!!!

WOW, you do have a long family history and your story sounded a lot like mine. I do hope you get some answers soon, just don't get discouraged if your blood work comes back negative. As you will read all over this message board you will see story after story of people going to multiple docs and going through all sorts of test only to all come back negative and to be told they have IBS. A lot of us here ordered a stool panel test from Enterolab . This test was designed by Dr. Fine which has Celiac too, it is more sensitive than blood and a more accurate way of testing. Or if you wanted to try the diet for a couple of months and if you saw an improvment (as you did before) I would say that you cannot tolerate gluten and that is a test in itself and "some" doctors will accept that as a diagnosis.

So you hang in there, you will get some answers soon! Take care and Good luck to you!

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:52 AM

No matter what your official results you already have your answer -- you have celiac disease.

richard

#5 tyki

tyki

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 10:26 AM

I had not gone gluten free prior to the blood test. I had had a significant drop in the amount of gluten I was eating, because of cutting the fast food and pizza out of our routine for my husband's weight loss diet, which meant I was fixing more salads, veggie casseroles, and the like. There had not been a conscious effort to go gluten free, and in fact as I look at the ingredients in the meals I have been eating, wheat has continued to be listed as an ingredient in just about everything. What changed significantly was I stopped having pizza twice a week, hamburger buns, subs from Subway, and to keep sweets out of the house I wasn't making cookies and cakes (to help hubby resist temptation), so the wheat consumption dropped significantly without actually going gluten free.

Over that 3 months the diarrhea I had been experiencing gradually lessened and nearly disappeared, but I was a long ways from being gluten free. To test the theory about the diarrhea being caused by gluten, I started adding toast, doughnuts, sandwiches, or a slice of bread and butter, and some wheat pasta with each meal, thereby purposely raising the gluten content of my diet.

I agree, I think the blood test and the eventual endoscopy are formalities, I'm 99.9% sure I have celiac disease. That doesn't make it any easier to come to grips with this. I have had more emotional meltdowns in the last few days than I can remember for a very long time.

Hubby is being supportive and I love him dearly, but we're both feeling a bit lost about where to start. It's been recommended that I stay on gluten until we finish with the tests and start learning about the gluten-free diet. So hubby tried to help, and while we were at the grocery store, he picked up packages of our kitchen standards (for favorite family recipes) and read the ingredients. It was so depressing, the longer we were in the grocery store, the longer my list of "can't haves" grew and I went into meltdown by the time we left the store.

The next night, hubby decided we should start smaller, so he started going through what we have in the pantry, and my list of "can't have" went up even more. Then he talked about needing to get rid of the toaster, cuz we wouldn't be able to decon it from all the gluten-laden crumbs, and my favorite cutting board, and it piled higher. Then he added that he has decided that since there are just the 2 of us in the house, it makes sense that we will both go gluten free....and I fell apart again.

He tried to help with "it could be worse"....and I know it could be worse, but right now, it seems like the worst news I've faced. Right now I'm having trouble putting a positive spin on it. I've always been "the good cook" in our extended families, my mother-in-law loves that I have learned how to make all the family's traditional specialties (they all contain loads of wheat) instead of being afraid of the kitchen. Now I find myself, at 48, unsure of how to feed myself, and clueless on how to cook with these wheatless flours. It just seems like such a monumental task.

I know its an elephant, and the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. But I don't know where to take the first bite. And this emotional roller coaster isn't helping me to think clearly.

Hopefully, I can lean on the pros out there while I re-learn my way around the kitchen.

#6 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:43 PM

First off, you're not alone in getting emotional from Celiac....whenever I have cramping/vomiting symptoms I get REALLY emotional....you know, the: "why me?" feelings. During the school year, I was seeing a counselor there. We talked about celiac disease (he has no clue, but tried to help....). However, he is going to be my teacher next year for Advanced French, and it's difficult to talk about anxiety and emotional issues with a teacher....if he were just a counselor it'd be different, but I feel like I'm keeping my tongue in check when I talk to him....and the idea of seeing someone is to open up. Because of my anxiety and emotional issues, my doctor suggested I talk to someone over the summer....he realizes that you can't really talk to someone at school about issues so personal: he feels that school should be kept separate from something like this....anyway, the point of all this: I understand what you mean about being emotional (I am still really emotional whenever I try to tell anybody what I'm feeling....). In addition, I can understand how you'd be overwhelmed beginning the diet....it's just about taking all this one step at a time....after being blood-test diagnosed, I ate gluten for awhile since I had the endoscopy after.....this is a good chance for you to learn everything you can about the diet: seize this opportunity and it'll be so much easier when you officially start, however, stay on gluten until after the scope.

Second, that is terriffic that your husband is so supportive that he'll go on the diet with you. The hardest thing would be to be alone in this...you need people to lean on when you feel emotional or upset.....it's really nice to have someone with you who is helpful.......you're lucky for that.....my mom is that kind of person for me....she helps me find good products, helps me deal with symptoms, emotions, and the like. It makes me so much stronger having someone to support me the way she does.

Third, don't expect to find much in pantries or grocery stores...whatever's fresh (vegetables, fruits, meats), you can have, most sodas you can have, you can have a select few big-name cereals, and most FritoLays chips:

FritoLays Gluten-Free Products:
Last updated August 28, 2003

BAKED DORITOS® Cooler Ranch Flavored Tortilla Chips
BAKED LAY’S® Original Potato Crisps
BAKED LAY’S® Sour Cream & Onion Artificially Flavored Potato Crisps
BAKED RUFFLES® Cheddar & Sour Cream Flavored Potato Crisps
BAKED RUFFLES® Original Potato Crisps
BAKED TOSTITOS® Bite Size Tortilla Chips
BAKEN-ETS® Fried Pork Skins
BAKEN-ETS® Hot ‘N Spicy Flavored Pork Cracklins
BAKEN-ETS® Hot ‘N Spicy Flavored Pork Skins
BAKEN-ETS® Pork Cracklins
BAKEN-ETS® Sweet & Tangy BBQ Flavored Pork Skins
CHEETOS® ASTEROIDS™ Flamin’ Hot Mini Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® ASTEROIDS™ Mini Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Crunchy Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Flamin’ Hot Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Flamin’ Hot Limon Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Jumbo Puffs Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Puffs Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Reduced Fat Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Twisted Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Natural White Cheddar Puffs Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Wild Ranch Flavored Snacks
CHESTER’S® Butter Artificially Flavored Popcorn
CHESTER’S® Cheese Flavored Popcorn
CHESTER’S® Hot Fries Corn & Potato Snacks
CHURRUMAIS® Limoncita Chile & Lime Naturally and Artificially Flavored Corn Strips
CRACKER JACK® Butter Crunch Peanuts
CRACKER JACK® Original Caramel Coated Popcorn & Peanuts
DORITOS® Cooler Ranch Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Four Cheese Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Guacamole! Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Mini Cooler Ranch Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Mini 3D’s® Zesty Ranch Flavored Mini Corn Snacks
DORITOS® Ranchero Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Salsa Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Salsa Verde Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Taco Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® 3D’s® Jalapeno Cheddar Flavored Corn Snacks
DORITOS® 3D’s® Nacho Cheesier Flavored Corn Snacks (full size 3D’s – not mini 3D’s)
DORITOS® Toasted Corn Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® WOW!® NACHO CHEESIER® Flavored Tortilla Chips
FRITO LAY® Cashews
FRITO LAY® FLAMIN’ HOT® Flavored Sunflower Seeds
FRITO LAY® Honey Roasted Peanuts
FRITO LAY® Hot Peanuts
FRITO LAY® Jalapeno & Cheddar Flavored Cheese Dip
FRITO LAY® Mild Cheddar Flavored Cheese Dip
FRITO LAY® Mixed Nuts
FRITO LAY® Original Trail Mix
FRITO LAY® Salted Peanuts
FRITO LAY® Smoked Almonds
FRITO LAY® Sunflower Seed Kernels
FRITO LAY® Sunflower Seeds
FRITO LAY® Sweet Honey Trail Mix
FRITOS® Bean Dip
FRITOS® Black Bean Dip
FRITOS® Chili Cheese Dip
FRITOS® FLAVOR TWISTS™ Cheddar Ranch Flavored Corn Chips
FRITOS® FLAVOR TWISTS™ Honey BBQ Flavored Corn Chips
FRITOS® FLAVOR TWISTS™ Jalapeno Cheddar Flavored Corn Chips
FRITOS® Hot Bean Dip
FRITOS® King Size Corn Chips
FRITOS® Original Corn Chips
FRITOS® SABROSITAS™ Lime ‘N Chile Flavored Corn Chips
FRITOS® SCOOPS!® Corn Chips
FRITOS® Waves Corn Chips
FUNYUNS® Mini Onion Flavored Rings
FUNYUNS® Onion Rings
LAY’S® Chicago Steakhouse Loaded Baked Potato Flavored P.C. (Taste of America)
LAY’S® Classic Potato Chips
LAY’S® Cool Guacamole Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Country BBQ Thick Cut Natural Potato Chips
LAY’S® Deli Style Original Potato Chips
LAY’S® Dill Pickle Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Fries Cheddar Flavored Potato Snacks
LAY’S® Fries Regular Flavored Potato Snacks
LAY’S® KC MASTERPIECE® BBQ Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Kettle Cooked Mequite BBQ Flavored Extra Crunchy Potato Chips
LAY’S® Kettle Cooked Jalapeno Flavored Extra Crunchy Potato Chips
LAY’S® Kettle Cooked Regular Potato Chips
LAY’S® Limon Tangy Lime Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Monterey Pepper Jack Flavored Potato Chips (Taste of America)
LAY’S® Salt & Vinegar Artificially Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® San Antonio Salsa Flavored Potato Chips (Taste of America)
LAY’S® Santa Fe Ranch Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Natural Sea Salt Thick Cut Potato Chips
LAY’S® Sour Cream & Onion Artificially Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Sour Cream & Onion Artificially Flavored Mini Crisps
LAY’S® STAX Cheddar Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY’S® STAX Original Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY’S® STAX Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY’S® Tangy Salsa Artificially Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Wisconsin Cheddar Flavored Potato Chips (Taste of America)
LAY’S® WOW!® Original Potato Chips
Maui Style Regular Potato Chips
Maui Style Salt & Vinegar Flavored Potato Chips
MISS VICKIE’S™ Jalapeno Flavored Potato Chips
MISS VICKIE’S™ Mesquite BBQ Flavored Potato Chips
MISS VICKIE’S™ Original Potato Chips
MUNCHOS® Regular Potato Crisps
RUFFLES® Cheddar & Sour Cream Flavored Potato Chips
RUFFLES® French Onion Dip
RUFFLES® Mini 3D’s® Maximum Cheddar Flavored Potato Snacks
RUFFLES® Regular Potato Chips
RUFFLES® Ranch Dip
RUFFLES® Reduced Fat Potato Chips
RUFFLES® Natural Reduced Fat Regular Sea Salted Potato Chips
RUFFLES® Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Chips
RUFFLES® 3D’s® Maximum Cheddar Flavored Potato Snacks
RUFFLES® 3D’s® Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Snacks
RUFFLES® WOW! Original Potato Chips
RUSTLER’S™ Beef Jerky
RUSTLER’S™ Spicy Flavor Beef Stick
SABRITAS® ADOBADAS™ Tomato & Chile Flavored Potato Chips
SANTITAS® White Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
SANTITAS® Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips
SMARTFOOD® Reduced Fat White Cheddar Cheese Flavored Popcorn
SMARTFOOD® White Cheddar Cheese Flavored Popcorn
TOSTITOS® All Natural Hot Salsa
TOSTITOS® All Natural Medium Salsa
TOSTITOS® All Natural Mild Salsa
TOSTITOS® Bite Size Rounds Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Crispy Rounds Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Fire Roasted Salsa
TOSTITOS® Gold Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Medium Organic Salsa
TOSTITOS® Natural Blue Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Natural Yellow Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Queso Supreme Dip
TOSTITOS® Restaurant Style with a Hint of Lime Flavor Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Salsa Con Queso
TOSTITOS® Santa Fe Rounds Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® SCOOPS!® Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Southwestern Salsa
TOSTITOS® Strips Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® WOW!® Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Zesty Bean & Cheese Dip
TOSTITOS® 100% White Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
WAVY LAY’S™ Au Gratin Flavored Potato Chips
WAVY LAY’S™ Hickory BBQ Flavored Potato Chips
WAVY LAY’S™ Regular Potato Chips

FRITOS® SCOOPS! ® Corn Chips & Chili Flavored Cheese Dip Kit
RUFFLES® Original Potato Chips & French Onion Dip Kit
TOSTITOS® Tortilla Chips & Cheese Dip Kit

*The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected.

All Frito-Lay products are labeled accurately with the most current ingredient information. Frito-Lay makes every effort to maintain this list; however, since the ingredients in our snacks are subject to change at any time, we recommend that you check the label on a specific product for the most current and accurate nutritional information. If you need assistance, please contact Frito-Lay Consumer Affairs toll-free at 1-800-352-4477 Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Central Standard Time.

Other than that, you'll have to go to healthfood stores...utilize what you can from regular stores, cause they're inexpensive, but realize that if you plan to have breads, pastas, brownies, muffins, bagels, again, they'll come from a healthfood store. Find the ones in your area and check for products on the list I'll put below: they're tasty gluten-free dishes...the worst thing is starting with horrible-tasting things. Here are some things you can make. I keep this list for newbies with questions about good foods and think it'd be helpful for you, too. Before I copy it below, your husband is right about the toaster...you need a new one..if you'll have ANY gluten-free products that'll go in the toaster, keep the old one for non-gluten-free products and get a new one for the gluten-free things...otherwise, you might as well dump your old toaster when you get the new one....it's no use anymore. New pots would be a good idea, cooking utensils as well....get new things especially if you have anything plastic (like plastic measuring cups or strainers)....it's harder to get the plastic safe and clean than get metal/teflon fine again. Read up for all the ingredients that are forbidden: I didn't do that and therefore was technically off target for my first week or two "gluten-free"....not sure if you know yet, but it's not just barley, wheat, and rye....there's also malt and a zillion other ingredients....and you need to call companies to question the contents of their natural/artificial flavors. Anyway, good luck....here's my list:

- Store-bought Cookies: try Pamela's Products -- the BEST cookies. The lemon shortbread are decent, but some people find them too strong a lemony taste. However, try the Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Cookies. They are AMAZING!!! Even including regular cookies, they are the best store-bought I've ever had.

- Homemade Cookies: if you have 15 minutes to spare, make peanut butter cookies. Very good...even my aunt who hates PB liked them. Preparation time is about five minutes and the recipe calls for 10 min. baking -- it might take 15. All you need is 2 cups of PB (Skippy or Jif), 2 cups of sugar, and 1 egg (this is also good because there aren't any weird gluten-free flours and stuff...where do you buy those things, anyway? I don't like to cook, and I surely don't like to cook something that requires six different types of flour...it's ridiculous and I like simplicity if I am even going to bother cooking something...I don't mind making basic things, but now 6-flour-cookies that take three hours to make and three minutes to eat... ).

- Fruits/Vegetables/Meat: I eat so much more fruit now...apples, bannanas, strawberries, blueberries, canned mandarine oranges, canned peaches, etc. There are, of course, meats: chicken, steak, pork, hamburgers, etc....no fresh meat is excluded...but I often forget about fish, which are, too, gluten-free.

- Bread: People will say Knikinick or however it's spelled is great, but I've found Ener-G to be a bread that tastes astoundingly similar to regular gluten-filled white bread...that's what I use...you make your pick...go with me or the majority!

- Pizza: probably thought you'd never have that again, right? Get Chebe (you can only get it online), but buy the bread mix, not the pizza crust (the bread mix turns out better). Follow the instructions, mush it out into a round "thing", bake as instructed, and then add sauce (Classico is good and the only kind that I know to be gluten-free....but expensive), and gluten-free cheese. It's terriffic. By the way, you can get the Chebe at http://www.chebe.com. Try it...the shipping is free and once you realize that you like it, you can buy it in bulk and get discounts. Please!!!! If you take ANY OF MY ADVICE FROM THIS POST....TRY THE CHEBE!!!

- Miscellaneous: Raisins, Quaker Rice Cakes, most soft drinks are gluten-free including all kinds (diet, caffeine free, etc.) of Coke, Sprite, Sunkist, Pepsi, etc. As long as you stick with the brand-name companies (not the Supermarket Colas and be careful with Root Beers). There are many gluten-free candies...I actually made a post under the "Teenagers Only Section" for gluten-free candies...check there for the complete list that Gf4Life provided...actually, I'll copy it below:

Hi celiac3270,

I have a list of mainstream gluten-free and milk free candies that I use when shopping for candy for my kids. I got it from the Gluten-free Casein-free Diet Support Group for Autistic kids and they are very strick when it comes to putting products in their booklet each year. I know that Dextrin is one of their ingredients that is avoided, so these should be safe. Still read all the labels, since manufacturers change their formulas far too often:

Nestle: Sweet Tarts, Spree Chewy Candy, Regular Spree Candy

Farley gummy bears

Willy Wonka: Gobstoppers, Bottle Caps, Pixy Stix, Nerds, Runts

Mike & Ike: Zours, Jelly Beans, Hot Tamales

Starburst Fruit Chews (NOT Starburst fruit twists!)

Necco: Necco Wafers, Sweethearts, Conversation hearts (Valentines), Necco Candy Eggs (Easter), Candy Stix, Talking Pumpkins (Halloween), Peach Blossoms (Christmas), Necco Ultramints, Canada Mint & Wintergreen Losenges

Rock Candy (made from pure sugar)

Ce De Candies: Kidz Rings, Candy Fruits, Candy Lipsticks, Smarties

Mars Inc: Skittles, Jelly Beans

Sunkist: Fruit Jems, Jelly Beans, Orange and Cream chews, Super Sour Stars

Sorbee International: Lollypops

Jolly Rancher: Hard Candies, Jelly Beans

Jelly Belly: All flavors of Jelly Beans EXCEPT: Cafe Latte, Buttered Toast, Caramel Corn, Buttered Popcorn, Chocolate Cherry Cake, Chocolate Pudding, Strawberry Cheesecake

This should give you a lot more options and they are all available pretty much everywhere. I can also put together a list of others that you might only find online or in healthfood stores if you would like. Just let me know.

As for chocolate, I found that the Scharfen Berger chocolate bars are very yummy. They are gluten and dairy free by ingredients. The small bars are wrapped in a different facility where they also wrap other chocolates that do contain milk, so as a precaution they put a milk warning on the label. I am very sensitive to dairy reactions and have never had a reaction to these bars. They are a bit pricey and not available everywhere (I got mine at Whole Foods) but they are very nice to have when you are craving chocolate. There are also a few kinds of baking chocolate chips that are gluten and dairy free.

God bless,
Mariann 

Chips: most things by Frito Lays (not Doritos), you can have: Lays Potato Chips, Wavy Lays Potato Chips, Cheetos, Fritos, etc. You can get a complete list at http://www.fritolay....lutefree.shtml:

FritoLays Gluten-Free Products:
Last updated August 28, 2003

BAKED DORITOS® Cooler Ranch Flavored Tortilla Chips
BAKED LAY’S® Original Potato Crisps
BAKED LAY’S® Sour Cream & Onion Artificially Flavored Potato Crisps
BAKED RUFFLES® Cheddar & Sour Cream Flavored Potato Crisps
BAKED RUFFLES® Original Potato Crisps
BAKED TOSTITOS® Bite Size Tortilla Chips
BAKEN-ETS® Fried Pork Skins
BAKEN-ETS® Hot ‘N Spicy Flavored Pork Cracklins
BAKEN-ETS® Hot ‘N Spicy Flavored Pork Skins
BAKEN-ETS® Pork Cracklins
BAKEN-ETS® Sweet & Tangy BBQ Flavored Pork Skins
CHEETOS® ASTEROIDS™ Flamin’ Hot Mini Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® ASTEROIDS™ Mini Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Crunchy Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Flamin’ Hot Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Flamin’ Hot Limon Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Jumbo Puffs Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Puffs Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Reduced Fat Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Twisted Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Natural White Cheddar Puffs Cheese Flavored Snacks
CHEETOS® Wild Ranch Flavored Snacks
CHESTER’S® Butter Artificially Flavored Popcorn
CHESTER’S® Cheese Flavored Popcorn
CHESTER’S® Hot Fries Corn & Potato Snacks
CHURRUMAIS® Limoncita Chile & Lime Naturally and Artificially Flavored Corn Strips
CRACKER JACK® Butter Crunch Peanuts
CRACKER JACK® Original Caramel Coated Popcorn & Peanuts
DORITOS® Cooler Ranch Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Four Cheese Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Guacamole! Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Mini Cooler Ranch Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Mini 3D’s® Zesty Ranch Flavored Mini Corn Snacks
DORITOS® Ranchero Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Salsa Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Salsa Verde Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® Taco Flavored Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® 3D’s® Jalapeno Cheddar Flavored Corn Snacks
DORITOS® 3D’s® Nacho Cheesier Flavored Corn Snacks (full size 3D’s – not mini 3D’s)
DORITOS® Toasted Corn Tortilla Chips
DORITOS® WOW!® NACHO CHEESIER® Flavored Tortilla Chips
FRITO LAY® Cashews
FRITO LAY® FLAMIN’ HOT® Flavored Sunflower Seeds
FRITO LAY® Honey Roasted Peanuts
FRITO LAY® Hot Peanuts
FRITO LAY® Jalapeno & Cheddar Flavored Cheese Dip
FRITO LAY® Mild Cheddar Flavored Cheese Dip
FRITO LAY® Mixed Nuts
FRITO LAY® Original Trail Mix
FRITO LAY® Salted Peanuts
FRITO LAY® Smoked Almonds
FRITO LAY® Sunflower Seed Kernels
FRITO LAY® Sunflower Seeds
FRITO LAY® Sweet Honey Trail Mix
FRITOS® Bean Dip
FRITOS® Black Bean Dip
FRITOS® Chili Cheese Dip
FRITOS® FLAVOR TWISTS™ Cheddar Ranch Flavored Corn Chips
FRITOS® FLAVOR TWISTS™ Honey BBQ Flavored Corn Chips
FRITOS® FLAVOR TWISTS™ Jalapeno Cheddar Flavored Corn Chips
FRITOS® Hot Bean Dip
FRITOS® King Size Corn Chips
FRITOS® Original Corn Chips
FRITOS® SABROSITAS™ Lime ‘N Chile Flavored Corn Chips
FRITOS® SCOOPS!® Corn Chips
FRITOS® Waves Corn Chips
FUNYUNS® Mini Onion Flavored Rings
FUNYUNS® Onion Rings
LAY’S® Chicago Steakhouse Loaded Baked Potato Flavored P.C. (Taste of America)
LAY’S® Classic Potato Chips
LAY’S® Cool Guacamole Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Country BBQ Thick Cut Natural Potato Chips
LAY’S® Deli Style Original Potato Chips
LAY’S® Dill Pickle Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Fries Cheddar Flavored Potato Snacks
LAY’S® Fries Regular Flavored Potato Snacks
LAY’S® KC MASTERPIECE® BBQ Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Kettle Cooked Mequite BBQ Flavored Extra Crunchy Potato Chips
LAY’S® Kettle Cooked Jalapeno Flavored Extra Crunchy Potato Chips
LAY’S® Kettle Cooked Regular Potato Chips
LAY’S® Limon Tangy Lime Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Monterey Pepper Jack Flavored Potato Chips (Taste of America)
LAY’S® Salt & Vinegar Artificially Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® San Antonio Salsa Flavored Potato Chips (Taste of America)
LAY’S® Santa Fe Ranch Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Natural Sea Salt Thick Cut Potato Chips
LAY’S® Sour Cream & Onion Artificially Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Sour Cream & Onion Artificially Flavored Mini Crisps
LAY’S® STAX Cheddar Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY’S® STAX Original Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY’S® STAX Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY’S® Tangy Salsa Artificially Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® Wisconsin Cheddar Flavored Potato Chips (Taste of America)
LAY’S® WOW!® Original Potato Chips
Maui Style Regular Potato Chips
Maui Style Salt & Vinegar Flavored Potato Chips
MISS VICKIE’S™ Jalapeno Flavored Potato Chips
MISS VICKIE’S™ Mesquite BBQ Flavored Potato Chips
MISS VICKIE’S™ Original Potato Chips
MUNCHOS® Regular Potato Crisps
RUFFLES® Cheddar & Sour Cream Flavored Potato Chips
RUFFLES® French Onion Dip
RUFFLES® Mini 3D’s® Maximum Cheddar Flavored Potato Snacks
RUFFLES® Regular Potato Chips
RUFFLES® Ranch Dip
RUFFLES® Reduced Fat Potato Chips
RUFFLES® Natural Reduced Fat Regular Sea Salted Potato Chips
RUFFLES® Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Chips
RUFFLES® 3D’s® Maximum Cheddar Flavored Potato Snacks
RUFFLES® 3D’s® Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Snacks
RUFFLES® WOW! Original Potato Chips
RUSTLER’S™ Beef Jerky
RUSTLER’S™ Spicy Flavor Beef Stick
SABRITAS® ADOBADAS™ Tomato & Chile Flavored Potato Chips
SANTITAS® White Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
SANTITAS® Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips
SMARTFOOD® Reduced Fat White Cheddar Cheese Flavored Popcorn
SMARTFOOD® White Cheddar Cheese Flavored Popcorn
TOSTITOS® All Natural Hot Salsa
TOSTITOS® All Natural Medium Salsa
TOSTITOS® All Natural Mild Salsa
TOSTITOS® Bite Size Rounds Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Crispy Rounds Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Fire Roasted Salsa
TOSTITOS® Gold Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Medium Organic Salsa
TOSTITOS® Natural Blue Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Natural Yellow Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Queso Supreme Dip
TOSTITOS® Restaurant Style with a Hint of Lime Flavor Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Salsa Con Queso
TOSTITOS® Santa Fe Rounds Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® SCOOPS!® Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Southwestern Salsa
TOSTITOS® Strips Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® WOW!® Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® Zesty Bean & Cheese Dip
TOSTITOS® 100% White Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
WAVY LAY’S™ Au Gratin Flavored Potato Chips
WAVY LAY’S™ Hickory BBQ Flavored Potato Chips
WAVY LAY’S™ Regular Potato Chips

FRITOS® SCOOPS! ® Corn Chips & Chili Flavored Cheese Dip Kit
RUFFLES® Original Potato Chips & French Onion Dip Kit
TOSTITOS® Tortilla Chips & Cheese Dip Kit

*The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected.

All Frito-Lay products are labeled accurately with the most current ingredient information. Frito-Lay makes every effort to maintain this list; however, since the ingredients in our snacks are subject to change at any time, we recommend that you check the label on a specific product for the most current and accurate nutritional information. If you need assistance, please contact Frito-Lay Consumer Affairs toll-free at 1-800-352-4477 Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Central Standard Time.

- Genisoy Bars: good for high-fat snacks, and on-the-go meals...only two flavors are gluten-free: A honey Creamy PB Yogurt, which isn't the best, and Southern Style Chunky PB, which tastes like candy...it's great -- and it has about 25 grams of soy protein!

- Mac & Cheese: If you don't want to bother to make your own Mac and Cheese and want it the quick way like you may have had it back in the day...the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese SAUCE PACKET is gluten-free. Then use your own gluten-free noodles (such as DeBoles or Tinkyada), and you have a quick lunch.

- Foods By George: set a high-standard for gluten-free foods. Their brownies...to die for, especially when you heat them up and put gluten-free icecream (Haggen Dasz: strawberry, vanilla, chocolate...anything except for the obvious, like cookie dough........if you're avoiding dairy and lactose, try "Soy Delicious") on them. Also amazing, their corn muffins...heat them up, smother them in butter, and I literally checked the box again to make sure they were gluten-free after I took the first bite. If you take two bits of advice from this post, make it the Chebe and the Foods By George. BOTH ARE AMAZING. CHEBE AND FOODS BY GEORGE....brownies are gluten-free/wheat-free/casein-free/dairy-free/lactose-free/soy-free. Corn muffins are gluten-free and wheat-free.

- Pasta: Deboles is gluten-free, but about 20 cents more expensive than an equally good brand that's more popular (at least, with Celiacs on this board). Tinkyada is most popular, very good, and a little less expensive.

Hope this is helpful...good foods are important for starting and continuing a life-altering diet.

-celiac3270

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:40 PM

tyki, by already being comfortable in the kitchen, you're a step ahead of the game. go to the produce department in your grocery store and look around... there's a lot of food there, and - aside from the package/processed stuff they try to push on you - you can have all of it. go to the meat counter and look around... there's a lot of food there, and - aside from the packaged/processed stuff they try to push on you - you can have all of it. (I'm assuming you go to a grocer that doesn't adulterate the food... that sort of thing really ticks me off, as has since well before I was gluten-free.) and the aisles with the rice and beans - all good, again - aside from the packaged/processed stuff they try to push on you.

see a trend in my paragraph?! ;-) it's the packaged/processed crap (and yeah, I know, I'm a food snob here... I can't help it! it's in my veins! ;-) ) that can get you, but all the rest of the natural foods - the same stuff from which you can make your own (better tasting) version of the packaged stuff.

as for the baking, remember that it took you time - at some point - to get the hang of baking in a wheat filled kitchen; it'll take the time to get the hang of baking in a gluten-free kitchen. while I don't bother with yeast breads very much (time wise, I'm too lazy for them), quick breads and muffins - once you get the idea of the chemistry behind it all - really haven't been a problem for me.

there are going to be things you can't have, can't find a great substitution for, or won't want to deal with the extra hassle of making. but because of that, you have an opportunity to find new things you can't have, that you wouldn't have tried any other way, that no one else knows about.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 tyki

tyki

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:53 AM

Well, its been two weeks, almost to the day. I had a voice mail from the docs office yesterday and I called in this morning. The blood test results are back and they were negative. :(

Well, now that was 2 weeks of waiting to be no further along. Of course from reading things on the web, I understand that really all that tells me is that there wasn't serious damage to the intestines at this time.

Now its time to decide if I go ahead with the Enterolab test, or just go undiagnosed and dive into being gluten-free.

I did venture into some gluten-free baking the other night. Made up a batch of cornbread muffins with the Gluten Free Pantry Cornbread Mix. They came out pretty good. :D

#9 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:06 AM

I would go gluten-free and if you don't get any better that is when you start to worry.
Molly

#10 CarolynM

CarolynM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:43 PM

Waiting on biopsy results for my daughter -- thinking we will end up trying gluten-free diet regardless because I see such a correlation between diarrhea and increased wheat-pasta, pizza,pancakes in her diet.

Initially, I was told to go gluten-free immediately prior to the biopsy so I did some research and experimenting as you have.

If you are going gluten-free, get the CSA Gluten Free Product Listing. Visit their website www.csaceliacs.org Celiac Sprue Association. The book will help take some of the work out of determining mainstream products that are gluten-free. Also, it gives a flour mix that can be substituted. I used the ratio given of Rice flour, potato starch, corn starch and soy flour for flour in a traditional scratch recipe for corn bread. If we go gluten-free, I will probably mix it up in bulk, then be able to scoop out a cup of baking mix.

Quick and good but expensive - Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Brownie Mix and I found it in my regular grocery.

Good Luck.

#11 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:06 AM

Hi Tyki: Here's an idea to help you decide whether to go gluten-free ASAP or wait while you do Enterolab tests: DO BOTH. :D You don't have to be gluten-free to have Enterolab tests show gluten antibodies, the celiac gene, malabsorption tissue damage. I'm not sure whether you've considered milk sensitivity (many celiacs have lactose intolerance and/or casein sensititivity), but even while using 'lactaid' to consume dairy, E-Lab tests will STILL show casein sensitivity.

I had been gluten-free for 8 weeks and using lactaid supplements for 10 years (and also using digestive enzymes and probiotics for over a year) when I did E-lab tests. They STILL showed gluten and casein antibodies, celiac gene, but no malabsorption. Dr. Fine said "Enzymes can keep malabsorption away, if you lack pancreatic enzymes" when I mentioned taking digestive enzymes before the test (AFTER receiving my results :( ). I kinda' wish I would have known before doing the test, but it really makes no difference. I STILL must avoid gluten and casein.

I assume you started the whole celiac disease testing process, because you had diarrhea symptoms. Then you discovered going gluten-free helped resolve that symptom. I can understand your desire to receive a definitive test result of celiac disease, so you don't have to wonder if something else may have caused your diarrhea. However, whether or not you decide to follow the gluten-free approach to resolve your symptoms or you wait for a doctor/lab to indicate you have celiac disease, the treatment is the same: GO gluten-free ASAP.

My initial celiac symptoms were so excruciatingly painful, I was desperate to do anything to just stop that pain. I realized my own doc had led me astray (for 8 years) with her 'IBS' diagnosis which hurt (with recommendations to eat more wheat bran and whole wheat products) rather than helped me. So I initially didn't care about 'diagnosis'--I just wanted to stop that terrrible pain. When going gluten-free reduced the painful symptoms, I could think more clearly and wanted to at least talk to a doctor. So I saw a naturopath, but he discounted the value of the tests saying the blood test only works (true positive results) when celiac disease is so far gone that gluten antibodies leak from the gut into the blood and the biopsies only work when the biopsy sample actually got a damaged section of the intestines which have to be pretty far gone to have flattened villi EVERYWHERE. He just told me to just keep following the gluten-free diet and then look out for other possible allergens. :o

However, everytime I 'slipped' and got recurrent painful symptoms, I wondered if I might have something else (instead of celiac disease). Those fears made me request Enterolab tests. After taking the complete test panel (with free milk sensitivity test thrown in) and sending off my specimums, my recurring symptoms (despite being 8 weeks gluten-free) made me wonder if I really did have milk sensitivity (even though I had used 'lactaid' a long time). I didn't realize I could also have caseine sensitivity when I started using lactaid. So I tried my own little milk sensitivity test by going dairy free 36 hours and then having 1/4 c of milk. My dramatic reaction (and symtoms which continued for over 4 days) convinced me I was also casein sensitive. When my E-lab results (gluten & casein antibodies, etc.) arrived a few days later, I was relieved, but not surprised. Now my symptoms are almost nonexistent and I'm feeling better every day. :D

So I would recommend you go gluten-free ASAP and send for E-lab tests (if you can afford them) immediately after that. Sorry this was so long, but I was trying to tell how I decided to use E-lab AND go gluten-free ASAP. ;)
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: