This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Poland

mmmRice

mmmRice Newbie

Hi-

My husband's family all lives in Poland. I went there for the summer 2 years ago before I knew I had celiac (needless to say, I wasn't feeling very healthy for much of the trip since we were eating bread & other gluten-ingredients daily). I'm going to be returning in a few weeks (just for a short stay this time), but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Poland's labeling standards, the availability of gluten-free foods in Polish grocery stores, the general level of awareness of Celiac disease around Poland, or knew of any online resources (pref. in Polish Language) that I could show to my in-laws because I cannot speak enough Polish to explain about Celiac disease. My husband can, but he is not sure about the translations for many of the more technical ingredients & by-products.

Luckily my mother in law is a doctor and she knows OF celiac disease, but she is not that familiar with all the ins & outs (and we all know there are many!), so if anyone knows of any resources, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much!

• 4 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sunflower Newbie

Hi,

I suppose it's too late for you to use this info during your travel to Poland (did you manage OK?)

But just in case you need it for the future, I will post you a few links.

Unfortunately, they are in Polish only, but I suppose your in-laws can have a look and find necessary information.

Open Original Shared Link

A page that contains celiac description, message board, online shopping center etc. - your family can learn a lot from it , I think. It also contains info from members concerning gluten-free shops in various cities in Poland:

Open Original Shared Link

You could also try Open Original Shared Link

This is a product list of about the best (IMHO) Polish gluten-free bakery, Glutenex, located in Poznan.

Many gluten-free shops around Poland would have their products, or can order them if you ask. I'm not sure about locations of gluten-free shops in each city in Poland, but I guess you have 2 options:

- ask your in-laws to contact Glutenex (contact is at the bottom of the link I posted above) and find out where are shops selling their goods in the region that you are going to. Most major cities will have a few shops selling gluten-free goods, but in smaller towns it is rather unlikely.

- or better, ask your in-laws to contact Glutenex and order whatever you need to be sent directly to them. Glutenex can post it for you by train, to the railway station that is nearest to you (I haven't done it, so I don't know the details, but this is what they write in their site). This would work even if you are going to stay in a small village.

I don't have more links at this moment, because I have just started researching celiac in the Internet only a few days ago ;)

Hope it helps :)

Anna

Archived