Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

2 posts in this topic

My husband's family all lives in Poland. I went there for the summer 2 years ago before I knew I had celiac (needless to say, I wasn't feeling very healthy for much of the trip since we were eating bread & other gluten-ingredients daily). I'm going to be returning in a few weeks (just for a short stay this time), but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Poland's labeling standards, the availability of gluten-free foods in Polish grocery stores, the general level of awareness of Celiac disease around Poland, or knew of any online resources (pref. in Polish Language) that I could show to my in-laws because I cannot speak enough Polish to explain about Celiac disease. My husband can, but he is not sure about the translations for many of the more technical ingredients & by-products.

Luckily my mother in law is a doctor and she knows OF celiac disease, but she is not that familiar with all the ins & outs (and we all know there are many!), so if anyone knows of any resources, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much!

I suppose it's too late for you to use this info during your travel to Poland (did you manage OK?)

But just in case you need it for the future, I will post you a few links.

Unfortunately, they are in Polish only, but I suppose your in-laws can have a look and find necessary information.

A page that contains celiac description, message board, online shopping center etc. - your family can learn a lot from it , I think. It also contains info from members concerning gluten-free shops in various cities in Poland:

You could also try

This is a product list of about the best (IMHO) Polish gluten-free bakery, Glutenex, located in Poznan.

Many gluten-free shops around Poland would have their products, or can order them if you ask. I'm not sure about locations of gluten-free shops in each city in Poland, but I guess you have 2 options:

- ask your in-laws to contact Glutenex (contact is at the bottom of the link I posted above) and find out where are shops selling their goods in the region that you are going to. Most major cities will have a few shops selling gluten-free goods, but in smaller towns it is rather unlikely.

- or better, ask your in-laws to contact Glutenex and order whatever you need to be sent directly to them. Glutenex can post it for you by train, to the railway station that is nearest to you (I haven't done it, so I don't know the details, but this is what they write in their site). This would work even if you are going to stay in a small village.

I don't have more links at this moment, because I have just started researching celiac in the Internet only a few days ago ;)

Hope it helps :)