Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sunscreen

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone know which sunscreen lotions are gluten free? I turn beet red if I don't wear any, but I don't know which ones are safe to wear. :unsure:

Ads by Google:

We use Waterbabies by Coppertone. Works for kiddies and me!

California Baby - it has zinc oxide to better protect the UVB rays which cause skin cancer. Mustela, if you can find it, has both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which is even better. Yes, these are marketed as kids sunblocks. But the real difference is that they are chemical sunblocks that, rather than absorbing into your skin and absorbing the light at wavelengths that are harmful, sit on top of your skin (in a very thin layer) and reflect the light so it can't reach your cells to do damage. It's, IMHO, a better method than absorbing chemicals. Mustela adds a few additional chemical sunscreens to the physical sunblocks, while California Baby is only a physical sunblock.

I'm using Coppertone right now because I can't get California Baby up here, but it has worked well for me.

We use California Baby but it can be pricey (almost 19 dollars a tube). I just bought Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen. Has anyone heard anything about this stuff or used it before? My son has very sensitive skin.

waterbabbies is what we use here...

There's another ingredient -- Mexoryl (sp?) -- that's actually more stable than the other chemical sunblocks -- it doesn't break down in the sun over a long time. It is not, however, yet approved by the FDA in the US. I once ordered a small tube of La Roche-Posay's Anthelios Fluide Extreme -- pricey because it was ordered from Europe, but it got my face through an entire summer of outdoor labor and backpacking in Florida.

I always use Banana Boat products.

I've been using Alba Botanica - much less toxic than conventional stuff but not too pricey either

DO NOT USE Neutrogena UVA/UVB Sunblock-- it contains oats. This was my latest hidden-gluten discovery (it's listed on the box but not the tube so it was only when buying a new one that it dawned on me) & I'm so frustrated, because I find most sunscreens drying & this one was very moisturizing. Ah well... anyone have a favorite moisturizing sunscreen that is gluten-free?

Leah

We use California Baby but it can be pricey (almost 19 dollars a tube). I just bought Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen. Has anyone heard anything about this stuff or used it before? My son has very sensitive skin.

My mom uses Blue Lizard; she says other sunscreens make her break out & this one doesn't. No idea if it's gluten-free though.

Leah

DO NOT USE Neutrogena UVA/UVB Sunblock-- it contains oats. This was my latest hidden-gluten discovery (it's listed on the box but not the tube so it was only when buying a new one that it dawned on me) & I'm so frustrated, because I find most sunscreens drying & this one was very moisturizing. Ah well... anyone have a favorite moisturizing sunscreen that is gluten-free?

Leah

Kiss My Face makes a moisterizer with sunscreen. I haven't tried it yet but I really like all the products this brand makes. I have't checked the ingredients on this one but a lot of their stuff is safe for us.

http://www.kissmyface.com/Product/Kiss+My+...Care/0201215EA/

Kiss My Face makes a moisterizer with sunscreen. I haven't tried it yet but I really like all the products this brand makes. I have't checked the ingredients on this one but a lot of their stuff is safe for us.

http://www.kissmyface.com/Product/Kiss+My+...Care/0201215EA/

Thanks! I've used their lotion in the past & really liked it so I'll give it a try!

Leah

Leah

My mom uses Blue Lizard; she says other sunscreens make her break out & this one doesn't. No idea if it's gluten-free though.

Leah

Good Catch, i found the list of Ingredients

Neutrogena UVA/UVB Sunblock

Active Ingredients

Avobenzone 2%; Homosalate 15%; Octinoxate 7.5%; Octisalate 5%; Oxybenzone 6%

Inactive Ingredients

Water; PVP Eicosene Copolymer; Cetyl Alcohol; Isostearic Acid; Sorbitan Isostearate; Stearic Acid; Panthenol; Tocopheryl Acetate; Bisabolol; Oat Extract; Retinyl Palmitate; Butylene Glycol; Triethanolamine; Cetyl Phosphate; Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer; Disodium EDTA; Xanthan Gum; Methylparaben; Propylparaben; Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile; Phenoxyethanol; Isobutylparaben; Butylparaben; Isopropylparaben

However I do have to say that I love all the other sunscreens they have. They dont clog up my face.