This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

List For The Newly Diagnosed

TCA

NoGluGirl Contributor
does anyone know offhand certain health and beauty products that are gluten free...such as soap, shampoo, makeup and toothpaste?

Dear Jacklyn1981,

I called about Revlon LipGlides and they are g.f. Also, Crest Whitening Expressions are safe, but the Crest Pro Health Rinse is not safe. Palmolive dish soap is safe. Check out Amanda's Mommy's blog on this site. It has a lot of great stuff. That is where I got a lot of my foods that were allowed! Good Luck!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kb8ogn Rookie

thanks to all of you for all of this wonderful information. it really makes everything seem less overwhelming.

shelli

Matilda Enthusiast

Adelle Enthusiast

As a gluten-free veteran of 1 whole month, I would add to allow MUCH extra time at the grocery store (at least at first). And don't forget a little junk food. Those first few weeks would have been MUCH harder w/o dorritos. Not a TON of junk, but just a few tidbits to make u feel less deprived.

Remember that u have the RIGHT to be healthy and that u have a support system here!! Yay!

Oh and making a list of foods/ingredients u can't have to keep with u. I went to a restraunt (for a horse club meeting thing) and the waiter took a good 15-20 min talking to me, recomending dishes, and he double checked EVERY ingredient. I did NOT get sick. And I gave a list to my fam (who have accidentally cc'd me) they r trying realy hard.

And remember, finding out what was wrong is a GOOD thing! Yay! It's not "in ur head", u aren't a medical mystery. Ur gonna be ok!!! YAY!!!

• 3 weeks later...
bridgergirl13 Newbie

Thanks for this thread. I've just been diagnosed and have a lot to learn about the hidden gluten out there. Thankfully, I have a Whoel Foods market on the way home. They provide a list at customer service detailing all of their gluten-free products. Also, our local health food store is awesome when it comes to explaining different ingredients, customer favs, etc. It's hard but I have hope. Thanks for helping me to feel that I can handle this.

Mary Contrary Rookie

This is a great thread and a fantastic forum with lots of good people...I noticed so far everybody has a pretty good sense of humor as well...

I need to check on my thyroid meds and blood pressure pills I rather imagine, good advice, so many things to be aware of, coming here is going to help immensely...

vampella Contributor

Thanks for the info everyone....I now have a question that I am panicing about.

I made Emmah rice crispy squares the other day with nature's path organic crispy rice gluten-free cereal and mashmellow and vanilla. After reading a tread about preschool snacks and some said watch marshmellows I ran to the marshmellow to read it. *MODIFIED CORN STARCH* is this safe did I accidently give Emmah gluten without knowing? OMG There are so many thing to learn. I knew alot going in but there is a HUGE amount I still don't know. I hope someone answers about the modified corn starch if not it's ok. I have an appointment with the dietician (sp) tomorrow afternoon. Geez, now I feel so bad.

Char

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

breann6 Contributor

Thank you so much for making this list! this is super helpful for me as a super newbie!

thanks!

Ginny Rookie

Thanks so much for all of this information. There is so much to learn for us newbies! Does anyone know if MAC make-up products are okay? I am addicted to their lipstick, and I really hope I don't have to give it up!

Ginny

debmidge Rising Star

We also were told by Crest over the phone that their Pro Rinse may not be gluten-free.

• 3 years later...
Ozwizard182 Newbie

Yes, I think reitterating number 1 is important - I am one of those people who has to have things done her way and done NOW, but I've come to realize after (trying to) be gluten-free for a month now, with no improvement, that this is a very slow learning process. I jsut now realized I've been using lipstick with wheat in it every day, not realizing I was poisoning myself more! :P

I have determined that it took me about 5 years to get diagnosed, so it will probably take about half that time for me to really figure out all the sources of gluten in my life :lol:

After your diagnosis; then after ditching the lipstick! how soon did you see results? What were your symptoms and what finally got you to the doctor?

Thank you.

gluten-freedom Newbie

2. Sit down and make a list of all the things you CAN eat.

This is a great idea!

To it, I would add this tip that has helped me:

I typed up, in very fun fonts, a wide variety of snacks that I can have. It says "Want a Snack?" at the top, and then it has three columns below: Sweet, Savory, and Filling. Then I listed a bunch of gluten-free snacks in each column. This helps me a lot when I have an attack of the munchies! :P It helps me not to feel restricted or limited, because I have in front of me a sizeable list of yummy goodies.

AlysounRI Contributor

I made Emmah rice crispy squares the other day with nature's path organic crispy rice gluten-free cereal and mashmellow and vanilla. After reading a tread about preschool snacks and some said watch marshmellows I ran to the marshmellow to read it. *MODIFIED CORN STARCH* is this safe did I accidently give Emmah gluten without knowing? OMG

Char:

Don't panic.

As I have understood (and someone who knows differently please correct me ...), it's anything that says "Modified FOOD starch that you have to avoid. That is very much wheat ... unless it specifies corn in which case it will say "Modified food starch (Corn)" or as your label read "Modfied corn starch"

Look on packages of jelly beans. They all have modified food starch in them. But if when I looked on the label of a box of candy valentine hearts (the one with the sayings on them) they read "Modified food starch corn" so I bought a package. They were sickly sweet and pretty gross but I knew that I could eat them as I am not sensitive to corn. Of course the corn was probably corn syrup which is not good for you but they didn't make me sick.

If I just spouted wrong info please let me know.

And correct it here.

Otherwise, I hope that's a good and clear answer for you, Char.

Happy marshmallowing :)

~Allison

• 1 year later...
psawyer Proficient

As I have understood (and someone who knows differently please correct me ...), it's anything that says "Modified FOOD starch that you have to avoid. That is very much wheat ... unless it specifies corn in which case it will say "Modified food starch (Corn)" or as your label read "Modfied corn starch"

While it once was true that "modified food starch" was possibly (but very rarely) wheat, it is no longer true.

For years now, in both Canada and the US, if it is wheat that must be clearly disclosed either in the ingredients list, or in a "Contains: Wheat" notice following the ingredients.

MFS is usually tapioca or corn.

This topic was started in 2006--some information may be out of date.

Archived