This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Who's Been To Australia?

Mango04

Mango04 Enthusiast

Woooohooo

Yeah, I'm counting down the days. Leaving in five weeks...

I'm flying into Sydney.

I'm not too worried about the gluten (dairy and soy) situation. Based on the small amount of research I've done, it doesn't seem like it will be too difficult to find safe food over there. But, if anyone has any info. or advice, I'd love to hear it.

B)B)B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mouse Enthusiast

I went there twice before I was diagnosed. We love Sydney, Melbourne, etc. Went up the Gold Coast first trip and stayed on an island in the Great Barrier Reef. I can say that I actually swam next to fish there - real awesome. The second trip we drove down the coast to Melbourne and the way down is absolutly breathtaking. We loved Melbourne and would leave from our hotel on daily excursions. We drove the Great Coast Highway to the 7 Apostles - rocks in the ocean. On our way back to Syndey for the flight home, we drove to a small town of Bendigo that has a pottery factory. When we got home, my sister-in-law called to see how the trip was. I was describing this piece of pottery that the head potter made in this town. Come to find out that her Mother was born there and her Grandfather had once been the mayor. Talk about a small world. You HAVE to go see the tinest penquins in the world as they come out of the ocean. It is totally awesome. Dress warm as it gets cold on the stone bleachers at night. We wanted to go back a third time, but then I got so sick. The people love Americans and can't do enough for you. The nicest and loveliest country I have ever visited. Have a wonderful time.

Kaycee Collaborator

Being a New Zealander, I've been to Australia Sydney, but that was before I was diagnosed. Lovely place, walked for miles and miles. The highlight was going up their tower, probably because my son did some work in the liftwell a few years back, and we went up togehter, and it was the first time he'd been up to see the view.

Of course there is a coeliac society over there, you can find it on ther internet at coeliac.org.au It doesn't look a lot of help. Alot of the food is similar to our food here as in brands names etc. Of course there is mcd's etc. All I can say there is probably a lot more variety in Sydney. What I find really helpful here, is the site mfd.co.nz. I know it is kiwi, but like I say a lot of our brands are their brands, and made in either country. We are both pretty good at labelling, but I do find things that just say flavour or colour, probably best to be avoided.

So check out

coeliac.org.au

and

mfd.co.nz

and

nzfsa.govt.nz/labelling-composition/publications/fsanz/index.htm

These might help you.

Hope you have a wonerful time. It is the middle of winter here, but it will be hotter in Sydney.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Thanks so much! That's a great storty Armetta, and thanks for the links Kaycee. Those help a lot.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Bump.

So I just did a google search to try and find some gluten-free places in Sydney, and do you know what comes up?...Yeah this thread B)

So I might as well keep it going.

Ruth52 Newbie

I live in Australia and I don't think you will have any trouble eating gluten free. I shop at a 'Safeway Supermarket' (part of the Woolworths chain) and it has a good gluten free section. Some restaurants have a gluten free menu, but most would be more than happy to cater for special dietary needs.

Our food labelling laws are becoming more specific and foods that are gluten free are labelled that way. Foods that contain wheat or wheat derivatives will also be labelled that way.

Hope this reassures you. Have a great time in Australia.

Regards, Ruth.

momandgirls Enthusiast

My sister lives in Australia (outside Brisbane) and we've been there twice so far and are going again next month. This will be the first time we've been there since the celiac diagnosis. According to my sister, almost every restaurant has a gluten free menu and things are very clearly labeled. When she visited here a few months ago, she commented on how much easier it is in Australia to find gluten free foods. I think you'll find it's a lot easier over there than it is here! Are you staying in Sydney or traveling around the country?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast
My sister lives in Australia (outside Brisbane) and we've been there twice so far and are going again next month. This will be the first time we've been there since the celiac diagnosis. According to my sister, almost every restaurant has a gluten free menu and things are very clearly labeled. When she visited here a few months ago, she commented on how much easier it is in Australia to find gluten free foods. I think you'll find it's a lot easier over there than it is here! Are you staying in Sydney or traveling around the country?

I'm traveling on a work visa, so I'll most likely try to find a job in Sydney, but I'm hoping to travel around the country as much as possible. I can't wait to go find all sorts of fun gluten-free food :D

jenvan Collaborator

Wow--have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...
lbr Newbie

I will be travelling to australia this summer with my 8 year old daughter who has celiac disease. Can anyone suggest any restaraunts, stores, gluten-free friendly places to go. We will be in Brisbane, port douglas, ayers rock and melbourne.

thanks!!

Mango04 Enthusiast
I will be travelling to australia this summer with my 8 year old daughter who has celiac disease. Can anyone suggest any restaraunts, stores, gluten-free friendly places to go. We will be in Brisbane, port douglas, ayers rock and melbourne.

thanks!!

Hi - I did find this list of gluten-free restaurants throughout Australia and New Zealand. It looks pretty helpful. I think I'll be carrying it with me everywhere I go :lol:

Open Original Shared Link

I leave in 18 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Mango,

I dont know anything about Sydney but Australia is one of the places I'd like to visit someday.

Mostly I just wanted to say that I'm sooooo jealous of the gluten-free pizza you're eating in your avatar. :P

looks yummy! :D

Mango04 Enthusiast
Mango,

I dont know anything about Sydney but Australia is one of the places I'd like to visit someday.

Mostly I just wanted to say that I'm sooooo jealous of the gluten-free pizza you're eating in your avatar. :P

looks yummy! :D

LOL it was soooo yummy and so much fun to eat :D. I got it when I was in Colorado last weekend. I couldn't believe how easy it was to eat gluten-free there. I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere but there was a Whole Foods and a gluten-free pizza place just blocks away from my hotel. Hopefully I'll have the same kind of luck in Australia :D:D

Guest nini

I have a friend that lives in Queensland and she's told me that there are quite a lot of gluten free foods in the supermarkets...

one of my favorite brands of bread mixes and all purpose flour mixes is from Australia. It's a line of products by a company called Orgran. They have all kinds of stuff. The ONLY think I haven't liked by them was a canned spagetti with sauce... (supposed to be like Chef Boy R dee) but my daughter and I thought it was nasty... but everything else from them that I've tried has been good.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
LOL it was soooo yummy and so much fun to eat :D. I got it when I was in Colorado last weekend. I couldn't believe how easy it was to eat gluten-free there. I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere but there was a Whole Foods and a gluten-free pizza place just blocks away from my hotel. Hopefully I'll have the same kind of luck in Australia :D:D

Mango, you have to tell me. What does a gluten-free pizza taste like anyways...does it taste like regular pizza....even close? I'm not too picky. Those little microwave tostino cheapy pizzas are good enough for me. I just wanna know so I can dream about it....something to look forward to. :D

Mango04 Enthusiast
Mango, you have to tell me. What does a gluten-free pizza taste like anyways...does it taste like regular pizza....even close? I'm not too picky. Those little microwave tostino cheapy pizzas are good enough for me. I just wanna know so I can dream about it....something to look forward to. :D

:lol: I think it does taste like regular pizza! My gluten-eating friends said it did. I think they were just as excited about trying it as I was. One day you will try it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lbr Newbie
Hi - I did find this list of gluten-free restaurants throughout Australia and New Zealand. It looks pretty helpful. I think I'll be carrying it with me everywhere I go :lol:

Open Original Shared Link

I leave in 18 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for this list, it's awesome!!!

amber Explorer

Hi, I am from Australia (Melbourne) and I have a 9 year old daughter who is a celiac. Are you going to be in Sydney only or travelling around Australia? If you are going to be in Melbourne I can give you some suggestions. Gluten Free food is easy to get in Australia. Go to any large supermarket (Coles, Safeway, Woolworths) and you will find the gluten free food in health food section. Also in the normal pasta section there should be the San Remo brand of gluten free pasta. Orgran make a huge variety of gluten free foods including pasta. There are many gluten free rice crackers, corn thinks, rice cakes, etc. in the biscuit (cookie) section of the supermarket. In Australia labels must list any ingredients that are allergy causing including gluten. If you see a yoghurt for example and it says thickener but doesn't list where it is derived from it means it is okay. ALL allergy causing ingredients must be listed on the labels. If you see Caramel, glucose syrup or dextrose with a (Wheat) in brackets this is still OKAY to eat as the wheat has been processed so much that it has no gluten left but they must still list it on the packaging. I have found that most cafes and restaurants know what gluten free is. The main problem would be in ethnic restaurants where there may be a language barrier - eg. Japanese, chinese.

As far as fast food goes you can have the following:

McDonalds:

Sundaes - chocolate, strawberry and caramel

Shakes - strawberry and vanille (NOT Choc as it has malt)

Salads - garden mixed salad, roast chicken salad (no bagel chips). All dressings are gluten free.

Health choice menu - berry nice yohurt cruch (ask for NO crunch), real fruit smoothie, apples, berry juice

Fries - fries are okay. Same oil as used to cook hash browns are hash browns are now gluten free.

Hash browns - okay

McCafe Menu: Jaffa torte cake, friands, florentines, almond toffee

Other fast food outlets that have gluten-free options are:

Hungry Jacks

Nandos Chicken

Trios Hot potatoes

Subway - request your own salad.

Many indian restaurants are okay

Sushi/Japanese - generally safe however check mayonaise and don't have soy sauce

Please feel free to ask more questions.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Thank you so much Amber! That info is so helpful!!!!!!!

So how awesome is this?

I was looking into the Oz Experience, which is kind of like a tour bus type thing that goes all over Australia. I was excited about it, but then I read that they stop in some remote locations, where you camp and there are no grocery stores, so you have to eat the food they provide. I had pretty much decided that was not an option for me, until I read the part that says "we cater to gluten-intolerant individuals." !!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited! I love Australia! :lol:

amber Explorer

Hi again :)

When you are in Melbourne try and go to:

PIZZA PIAZZA

171 Chapel Street

Windsor

Phone: 9533 7110

It is not far from the city. You can get a tram or train there and do some shopping at funky Chapel Street. After you have finished shopping stop at Pizza Piazza. The owner is a celiac and they have a gluten free PIZZA and PASTA menu, plus lots of delicious gluten free cakes to choose from.

More recommendations to come.

:):)

Green12 Enthusiast

Mango, this is really exciting! It sounds like your diet will be the easiest part of your 5 month Australian adventure, lots of sources for gluten-free/cf food!!

amber Explorer

If you go to Noosa on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland I recommend the Eumundi market on a Saturday morning or Wednesday morning. It is a fabulous market of over 300 stalls in the small village of Eumundi near Noosa. If you are staying in a hostel they will know about it for sure. Near the middle section of the market are some food stalls and one in particular which I can't remember the name of has lots of yummy gluten free foods to choose from. Also there are many more market stalls that have gluten free food items for sale. Local markets such as the ones in the tourist areas of Byron Bay (NSW), Eumundi (Noosa) and Port Douglas for example often have food stalls that are very gluten aware.

I just got back from the supermarket and I bought gluten free pretzels, gluten free crackers, rice crackers of which there are about 20 different types and taco shells. If you want to make your own tacos the Ol El Paso brand has gluten free shells, seasoning,sauce etc.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I hear Noosa is really beautiful. I'm definitely hoping to go there.

I leave in a week! Yay!

floridanative Community Regular

Reading this makes me want to retire in Austrailia. Have a great time!

Oh and I think Orgran corn crisps taste like corn flavored styrofoam - even the birds, squirrels and chipmunks would not eat it - lol!

amber Explorer
Reading this makes me want to retire in Austrailia. Have a great time!

Oh and I think Orgran corn crisps taste like corn flavored styrofoam - even the birds, squirrels and chipmunks would not eat it - lol!

I agree about the Ogran corn chips. They make alot of great stuff but some of it needs to go in the reject bin. I don't know why they bother making corn chips when you can buy plenty of corn chips in the supermarket that are gluten free and nice to eat. Maybe they should taste test their products with possums and seagulls and if they reject it than they should go back to the drawing board. :D

Archived