This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Who's Been To Australia?

Mango04

Mango04 Enthusiast

I'm sooooo hungry!!!!!!!!!! Where are all the health food stores in Sydney??? Where are all the grocery stores for that matter (they're all so tiny LOL). I have to confess :ph34r: ...I really really miss Whole Foods! I finally found a can of Amy's black bean vegetable soup and it was the first actual meal I've eaten since....last Monday. I'm just glad I brough heap loads of Alpsnak bars and such in my backpack :lol:

I finally found a health food store today in Glebe and it was so microscopic but I almost cried tears of joy when I walked in LOL. They had Bumble Bars!...and lots of stuff labeled gluten-free! yay!

Okay, anyway....I need to know...is Smirnoff Ice gluten-free in Australia????????????????????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Shiba Newbie
I'm sooooo hungry!!!!!!!!!! Where are all the health food stores in Sydney??? Where are all the grocery stores for that matter (they're all so tiny LOL). I have to confess :ph34r: ...I really really miss Whole Foods! I finally found a can of Amy's black bean vegetable soup and it was the first actual meal I've eaten since....last Monday. I'm just glad I brough heap loads of Alpsnak bars and such in my backpack :lol:

I finally found a health food store today in Glebe and it was so microscopic but I almost cried tears of joy when I walked in LOL. They had Bumble Bars!...and lots of stuff labeled gluten-free! yay!

Okay, anyway....I need to know...is Smirnoff Ice gluten-free in Australia????????????????????

Hi Mango,

We live in Sydney, and if you're near Glebe there's a cafe at Leichhardt that has gluten-free muffins, and even hot chocolate with gluten-free marshmallows.

Its called Cafe Bones, and is an outdoor one beloved by people who take their dogs walking.

Also, go to Razors Edge restaurant at Enmore - top food and if you tell them you need gluten-free, they'll look after you.

Re MacDonalds, they now say their fries and a lot of other stuff contain traces of gluten, so be careful.

Evey Woolworths and Coles supermarket has gluten-free stuff in their health food section - a lot of the biscuits are good, and San Remo gluten-free pasta spirals are great.

Smirnoff Ice is gluten-free.

Re food labelling laws here - they are VERY strict, and any ingredient derived from wheat must say so.

A good gluten-free bread - best we've had can be bought at Blaxland Bakery, which comes down to places like the Bondi markets etc.

Woolworths also stock a flat bread that is gluten-free, and if you gently steam it makes a good wrap or pizza base.

Some Starbucks here have a yummy Cooike - I think form Mother Megs, and some Gloria Jeans have Gourmet gluten-free choc/macadamia coookies.

Some McCafes have gluten-free friands, and all Muffin Breaks stock gluten-free muffins. Their muffins aren't as nice as the ones I make from Basco's mix tho - a chef friend told me the secret to Basco gluten-free muffin mixes - beat the eggs, then add the other liquids, beat hard, then add the dry stuff. Add 10-20% more oil than the pack says, and you get great muffins, as good as 'normal' muffins.

SAKATA Occasions crackers are better than wheat crackers, we eat them all the time.

Avoid ALL Kettle chips, all flavoured chips and corn chips. Smiths plain chips are gluten-free. Plain corn chips are gluten-free.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip.

PS, in a couple of months the inland will be a sea of glorious wild flowers, as we've had a bit of rain out there - well worth seeing.

Shiba

momandgirls Enthusiast

We leave on Monday for Australia and are going to Sydney, Uluru, Toowoomba, Bunya Mountains, Sunshine Coast (I don't know the town - that's where the Australia Zoo is, right?). Anyway, my daughter is gluten and dairy free. If anyone knows of any good restaurants/bakeries/grocery stores in those areas, I'd love some suggestions. Thank you so much!

Ruth52 Newbie

Hi Mango,

I know it must be hard to find what is safe to eat when you are faced with food brands that are foreign to you.

I always find that my failsafe is to find a Subway and ask for a roast chicken salad.

If you are having trouble locating any of the large supermarkets just look up www.whitepages.com.au and that will give you the address of the supermarkets and supply a map of how to get there. Once you find a Safeway or Coles you will be fine.

Have a great time

Ruth.

Shiba Newbie

Most reasonably sized shopping centres (or malls for our US friends) will have a Coles or Woolworths supermarket, and usually a Health Food store which will have some gluten-free products.

Brands here that have gluten-free include Orgran, Basco and the Woolworths FreeFrom range. Logan Cocoa Bombs are a gluten-free type of coco pops. Re Uluru, check where you are staying - is it in a hotel? If so, let them know in advance that you have dietary requirements.

If you are stopping off in Alice Springs, there is a good Woolworths there, and health food stores, so you should be able to get gluten-free groceries. My tendency would be to stock up with some staples in the major cities, just in case.

Re Australia Zoo - there are a few - maybe you mean the Western Plains Zoo - at Dubbo?

momandgirls Enthusiast

I thought it was just called the Australia Zoo - it's the one started by Steve Irwin. Thank you for your suggestions. In Uluru, we're staying at a resort. I've already notified them and they said it wouldn't be a problem. I've done the same with the two bed and breakfasts we're staying in so hopefully there won't be any issues. I really appreciate any information you can give me!

Mango04 Enthusiast

Thank you, thank you Shiba! I love this country!...and this board! I think I was a little overwhelmed at first, since I was sooo jet lagged and sharing a kitchen with the hundreds of other people in the hostel. I think today will be a great day of eating lots and lots of gluten-free food in Sydney :):D:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amber Explorer

Mango you need to ask locals where the supermarkets and health food stores. There are large supermarkets everywhere though they may be smaller in the inner city areas. Health food shops should be easy to find in most locations, just ask the locals and they will point you in the right direction. As soon as you find a Coles or Woolworths/Safeway supermarkets you should be able to stock up easily. Even small supermarkets like IGA or foodworks have gluten free bread and other items usually. It depends on where you are.

When you get to Melbourne there is a large Safeway supermarket right in the centre of the city at the QV centre at the corner of Lonsdale and Swanston street.

If you are in Noosa ignore the small and expensive supermarket which is tiny and expensive in Hastings Street and go to the very large Coles supermarket at the top of the hill.

Have a great time.

We leave on Monday for Australia and are going to Sydney, Uluru, Toowoomba, Bunya Mountains, Sunshine Coast (I don't know the town - that's where the Australia Zoo is, right?). Anyway, my daughter is gluten and dairy free. If anyone knows of any good restaurants/bakeries/grocery stores in those areas, I'd love some suggestions. Thank you so much!

Check out this site:

Open Original Shared Link

It has readers recommendations of gluten free cafes etc. in different parts of Australia. Check out the Sunshine coast section for recommendations.

I wouldn't worry about McDonalds fries, they are fine according to the McDonalds website and the Celiac society. Hash browns are okay too.

www.mcdonalds.com.au

Mango04 Enthusiast
Mango you need to ask locals where the supermarkets and health food stores. There are large supermarkets everywhere though they may be smaller in the inner city areas. Health food shops should be easy to find in most locations, just ask the locals and they will point you in the right direction. As soon as you find a Coles or Woolworths/Safeway supermarkets you should be able to stock up easily. Even small supermarkets like IGA or foodworks have gluten free bread and other items usually. It depends on where you are.

Yeah I started out in the city centre, well basically Chinatown, and I have to admitt I was a little lost at first :lol:. I found my way to Bondi Beach today. I really like this area. It's beautiful, and there's organic food places everywhere I look, and I'm stopping and eating at all of them :D:rolleyes:. Australia should win some sort of international food labeling award. It's hard to comprehend the fact that I can simply read a label..and that's all I need to do to know what's in that product. It's awesome :)

Shiba Newbie

I wouldn't worry about McDonalds fries, they are fine according to the McDonalds website and the Celiac society. Hash browns are okay too.

That was what I was told, until I actually corresponded with them, and they sent me info stating Gluten traces were in fries and hash browns, and also that very few outlets have gluten-free frying vats. then I checked with a couple of parents from school who actually own MacDOnald outlets, and they said no way they would claim their fries were gluten-free, because of what goes in the vats. We decided to be safe, which make sit hard on our daughter, but the attacks just aren't worth the risk.

Here's a nice story re gluten-free - yesterday we were at my daughter's school for a big football game. The chef has a gluten-free vat for hot chips, and buys gluten-free frozen chips.

So because it was chaotic yesterday he specially put a batch into a clean container before salting etc, as he was worried the other trays may have had wedges in them! This is the only place my husband and daughter feel totally safe having hot chips.

Yeah I started out in the city centre, well basically Chinatown, and I have to admitt I was a little lost at first :lol:. I found my way to Bondi Beach today. I really like this area. It's beautiful, and there's organic food places everywhere I look, and I'm stopping and eating at all of them :D:rolleyes:. Australia should win some sort of international food labeling award. It's hard to comprehend the fact that I can simply read a label..and that's all I need to do to know what's in that product. It's awesome :)

Glad you like our food labelling - being still new at this, I just wish the labels were bigger(or my eyesight was better), so the print was easier to read - here's one tip - look at the END of the list first, cause often I get all the way thru it and think I'm fine, and then, in bold ... Contains wheat and soy, or May contain ...

Mango, I am glad you are feeling better - Bondi is great for health foods, and there are even some Indian and Asian places now that offer gluten-free meals.

amber Explorer

That was what I was told, until I actually corresponded with them, and they sent me info stating Gluten traces were in fries and hash browns, and also that very few outlets have gluten-free frying vats. then I checked with a couple of parents from school who actually own MacDOnald outlets, and they said no way they would claim their fries were gluten-free, because of what goes in the vats. We decided to be safe, which make sit hard on our daughter, but the attacks just aren't worth the risk.

Hi Shiba,

Regarding the McDonalds french fries, my daughter who is 9 now has been eating them for 7 years and not once has she had any reaction. I was told by the Victorian Coeliac Society in a handout regarding take-away food that only fries and hash browns are fried in the vats and now hash browns are gluten free. I am wondering about the hot apple pies though as they would need to be deep fried but I don't think they cook many of them. The problem wouldn't be having them cooked in the same oil but if a piece of the pastry came off and attached itself to the fries. I suppose McDonalds would have to say 'possible traces of gluten' to cover themselves. I might contact McDonalds myself.

amber Explorer

Mango, If you like ham or salami you can go the the cheese/ham section in the refrigerated part of the supermarket and the HANS brand labels their products gluten free though if you read the labels of many hams, salamis, bacon etc. you will find they are okay. In the fresh deli section it is a bit harder as often they don't have the ingredients on the label but at Coles they often say gluten free on some of their hams and if you get ham off the bone, honey leg ham etc. it is okay. There are also HANS gluten free hot dogs in the same section.

If you are looking to buy some sausages to cook on the barbeque many butchers will sell gluten free sausages. We still have alot of old fashioned butchers here with personal service so just ask them what is gluten free. I have found most butchers to be very aware of gluten free products.

When you get up to Queensland Woolworths make their own gluten free bread but there are two other varieties off the shelf - Country Life mainly in the southern states and Moores are readily available.

And if you happen to be in Melbourne on August 12th which I doubt there is a gluten free expo at the Melbourne exhibition centre which I will be going to and my daughter will be able to eat her way around the place trying samples.

Another product I bought the other day at Coles supermarket was a packed of turkish style bread wraps which you can use to make a souvlaki or wraps. It was in the bakery section of the supermarket. Also I often buy gluten free pizza bases which you should be able to buy in health food shops and some supermarkets.

If I think of anything else I will post and if you have any other questions just ask.

Enjoy.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Thanks again :) I really like it here. I found the most amazing gluten-free bread today. I think it's called Early Harvest. mmmmmmm. I don't even eat gluten-free bread at home much but this is truly superior gluten-free bread. I didn't toast it or anything and it was really good.

I'm staying in hostels right now until I can find a job and an apartment, and the hostel kitchens are scary, but I think I've figured it out. I've been carrying around olive oil and sea salt LOL and that way I can just go out and buy veggies and cans of beans and it doesn't get too expensive that way. It really is pretty easy to get healthy gluten-free food here. I even saw free range eggs in a small convenience store today. You would never see that in the states. I saw gluten-free eclair yesterday too!

Here's my question of the day:

I'm a tad bit curious about where to find the gluten-free beer. Is it called O'Briens? Are there any other brands? Even if I can't ever find it, I'll be happy with the Smirnoff Ice. I can't drink that at home. :D

Shiba Newbie
Thanks again :) I really like it here. I found the most amazing gluten-free bread today. I think it's called Early Harvest. mmmmmmm. I don't even eat gluten-free bread at home much but this is truly superior gluten-free bread. I didn't toast it or anything and it was really good.

I'm staying in hostels right now until I can find a job and an apartment, and the hostel kitchens are scary, but I think I've figured it out. I've been carrying around olive oil and sea salt LOL and that way I can just go out and buy veggies and cans of beans and it doesn't get too expensive that way. It really is pretty easy to get healthy gluten-free food here. I even saw free range eggs in a small convenience store today. You would never see that in the states. I saw gluten-free eclair yesterday too!

Here's my question of the day:

I'm a tad bit curious about where to find the gluten-free beer. Is it called O'Briens? Are there any other brands? Even if I can't ever find it, I'll be happy with the Smirnoff Ice. I can't drink that at home. :D

Hi Mango,

What sort of work are you looking for?

Re bread - if you get to any of the 'organic food markets' there is some incredible gluten-free bread, made by a bakery in the mountains. Free range eggs are available most places here, including the big supermarkets.

I've only seen the 'beer' at a bakery in Gordon- in the northern suburbs or Sydney. Hate to be unpatriotic, but for me it doesn't compare to real beer. Right now good wine is super cheap in Sydney, so if you like wine, try some of that :)

If you eat rice, a really safe way to cook it in hostels would be the little pouches that you microwave.

Another product I bought the other day at Coles supermarket was a packed of turkish style bread wraps which you can use to make a souvlaki or wraps. It was in the bakery section of the supermarket. Also I often buy gluten free pizza bases which you should be able to buy in health food shops and some supermarkets.

Those wraps work really well if you gently steam them for a couple of minutes before you use them. They also make great thin pizza bases.

Re Macdonalds - we asked because it was the only food our teenager was having that was not from home (where the gluten-free sheriff is paranoid) and she was getting reactions. We now have a fryer at home and as a special treat hubby cooks thin chips. I must say that I wonder if due to some legal concerns MacDonalds are being ultra cautious re 'traces'.

Also, for Mango, lots of health food stores sell fresh salads etc and some are marked as gluten-free. And our local health food store has heaps of frozen gluten-free things, such as lamingtons and lasagna - tho they are not cheap!.

amber Explorer

Can't help you re. the beer Mango though I do know that there is gluten free beer out there. Might have to stick with other drinks like wine etc. Keep asking about the beer though.

Hostel kitchens - yes, I remember those from when I was in Europe and they are no fun to cook in though there are some hostels in Australia, I know there is one in Melbourne that has a fabulous kitchen.

It's always easy to cook up a gluten free pasta. Fry up some chopped garlic and onion then add a jar of Italian tomato sauce (provisto sugo or La Gina) or similar which is in the pasta sauce section of supermarket. Or you can use Italian chopped canned tomatoes. I like to add a dried bay leaf for added flavor. Leave it to simmer for about 20 minutes then cook a pot of gluten free pasta. Orgran do a good pasta as do San Remo. San Remo pasta is in the non-gluten free pasta section of the supermarket. If you do a big batch of sauce you can keep it for a few days to use again.

Pity you can't be in Bondi during summer as it has such as good vibe then not to mention those lifesavers. There was a reality series here last summer called 'Bondi Beach Rescue' where they showed the lifeguards at work and there would have been plenty of girls pretending they needed to be rescued by those guards.

Have you noticed how expensive the bananas are? That is because all the banana crops got wiped out during a cyclone here a few months ago. They should come down in price in the next few months meanwhile bananas have become a luxury food for the first time ever.

One more thing, sorry I am rambling now. The other day we were in a shopping mall and in the food court is a place called Ali Baba which has chicken/beef/lamb wraps with salad. They now do gluten free wraps and there is one in bondi. I am not sure if the garlic sauce or other sauce if gluten-free though.

Shop 7/164, Campbell Parade

Bondi Beach NSW 2026

Ask them whether they have the gluten free wraps as the ones I have seen in Melbourne do.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Hi Mango,

What sort of work are you looking for?

I'm looking for anything I can find :D. My visa permitts me to work in this country for four months. I have a University degree but I'm applying for many different types of positions. I've applied to office jobs and cafe jobs and I'm thinking of applying for some Au Pair positions. Job searching in a new country is a bit daunting :huh:, but I hope to find something soon. If any Aussies out there would be willing to hire an American for a few months, I'm willing to work :lol:

If you eat rice, a really safe way to cook it in hostels would be the little pouches that you microwave.

That's a really great suggestion, thanks. I'm on my way to try and find the Macro wholefoods market. Hopefully they have some good stuff.

:D

Have you noticed how expensive the bananas are? That is because all the banana crops got wiped out during a cyclone here a few months ago. They should come down in price in the next few months meanwhile bananas have become a luxury food for the first time ever.

One more thing, sorry I am rambling now. The other day we were in a shopping mall and in the food court is a place called Ali Baba which has chicken/beef/lamb wraps with salad. They now do gluten free wraps and there is one in bondi. I am not sure if the garlic sauce or other sauce if gluten-free though.

Shop 7/164, Campbell Parade

Bondi Beach NSW 2026

Ask them whether they have the gluten free wraps as the ones I have seen in Melbourne do.

I bought a bannana the other day and couldn't believe it. The cashier at the market was trying to convince me not to buy it, but I was starving. That's probably the last bananna I'll be eating for a while :lol:

I saw that Ali Baba place on Campbell Parade. I was so excited to see the gluten-free wraps. I didn't eat one beacuse they contain dairy, but I was excited to see them anyway :D

p.s. I see my thread has a lot of readers right now. You all need to come to Australia and try the Early Harvest gluten-free bread. It's soooo good! :):)

Shiba Newbie

I'm looking for anything I can find :D. My visa permitts me to work in this country for four months. I have a University degree but I'm applying for many different types of positions. I've applied to office jobs and cafe jobs and I'm thinking of applying for some Au Pair positions. Job searching in a new country is a bit daunting :huh:, but I hope to find something soon. If any Aussies out there would be willing to hire an American for a few months, I'm willing to work :lol:

What sort of degree?

Work Expereince?

Macro's are very expensive. You'll find nearly everything they have at the supermarkets like Woollies, and also at the food markets.

There's a market at Balmain or Rozelle, but I haven't checked them yet.

• 1 month later...
amber Explorer

Hi Mango,

Hope you are enjoying your time in Australia. I was reading the Australian Celiac Magazine and I noticed an ad for a place called 'Wellbeing' which has several outlets in Sydney which have gluten free food such as salads, noodle salads, risottos, curries and soups that are gluten free.

Here is their website:

Open Original Shared Link

Mango04 Enthusiast

Hi Amber :)

Gosh I lost track of my own Australia thread. Thanks for the info. on Wellbeing. They seem to be on every corner in Sydney. A lot of their food contains preservatives but they do have some gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free options haha. I do like their fresh squeezed juices and smoothies. I've found some good places to eat here that I'll have to post when I have a bit more time. Australia's been really fun. I'm thinking of spending a few more weeks in Sydney and then heading to Melbourne for a bit before travelling up the coast. :D

bmzob Apprentice

i've read online that austrailia produces alot of gluten-free beer!

tracey* Rookie
We live in Sydney, and if you're near Glebe there's a cafe at Leichhardt that has gluten-free muffins, and even hot chocolate with gluten-free marshmallows.

Its called Cafe Bones, and is an outdoor one beloved by people who take their dogs walking.

Thanks for that Shiba! I take my dog down to Cafe bones every now and then and didn't realise they have gluten-free muffins! I'm going to have to check it out again

I order lots of things from Open Original Shared Link and have it delivered - you can do the same if you're travelling around Australia and have a postal address <ahttps://www.celiac.com/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> Saves you the hassle of trying to figure out where to get alot of the things. Delivery takes about 4-5 working days depending where you are. My favourite are these - Open Original Shared Link - I could eat them every day!

If you go to David Jones Food Hall (below Market Street), the cake section has gluten-free products - my favourite is the Gourmet Treats from Heaven cakes. Yum yum.

Open Original Shared Link in Balmain is a good health food store - though expensive. There are Healthy Life stores all over, one is in the Pitt Street Mall area (near the KFC and Subway in the food court underneath Sydney Tower).

I have a little blog on gluten-free food in Sydney Open Original Shared Link - there's an expo coming up next week if you're in the area. Free entry!

Archived