11 replies to this topic

#1 beelzebubble

beelzebubble

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:08 AM

i just ate planters cashews and am having a gluten reaction, exactly 45 minutes after eating-like i always do. can anyone tell me if planters has a problem with contamination?

bubble

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 11:27 AM

Sorry to hear you're feeling ill. If the cashews were dry roasted then they could have been dusted with flour. That might have caused your reaction.
Terri
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:49 PM

I don't know if they have a problem...I've tried their peanuts....and got sick, but then again, it might very well have been the usual symptoms........I don't know, but I haven't had a peanut in a long time. Feel better.

-celiac3270

#4 Boojca

Boojca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:05 AM

Ok here's the scoop. I called Planters yesterday bc you all had me freaked out bc I've been feeding this to my newly diagnosed son. Turns out Planters and Nabisco are both Kraft companies, so their labels follow the same guidelines as any Kraft product. Ie, if something contains an allergen it will say so. The example the guy on the phone gave me was "If it says Natural Flavoring and that flavoring comes from a wheat source it will say (wheat) in paranthesis" So, if it doesn't say it it doesn't have it!

But, if you are still in doubt, I guess just don't eat it. I personally can't eat their dry roasted peanuts bc they have some flavor coating that doesn't agree with my stomach (and I dont' have celiac disease) but they have roasted peanuts that are cooked in oil and are lightly salted that I LOVE.

Good luck! Bridget

#5 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:16 AM

Thanks Bridget! I have a pack here at work in my drawer and now I won't be nervous munching them!
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#6 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:23 AM

Bridget-
Thanks for the info. I have emailed them countless times and have never gotten responses back!! I appreciate knowing.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#7 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:42 AM

Yep...that's what I was told when I called about Crystal Light (also made by Kraft). I didn't know that Planters were made by Kraft, though....cause the only peanuts I had weren't made by them...thanks for clarifying that.

-celiac3270

#8 Boojca

Boojca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:23 AM

I was psyched too! About the nuts, but also bc I found out that Nabisco is a Kraft company and follows their labeling standards as well. Makes it sooo much easier to trust the labels when you know they are clear! YEAH Kraft (Nabisco and Planters)!!!!

Bridget

#9 beelzebubble

beelzebubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 12:53 AM

just thought you all would like to know that i figured out what the problem is. it's not gluten, it's cashews. man, that sucks. i LOVE cashews. sigh. at least i can still eat almonds.

bubble

edit: mispelled cashews. cashoes anyone?

#10 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2004 - 03:15 PM

I cant eat cashews either :angry: and I LOVE them!!!! But like you bubble I can eat peanuts and almonds!

#11 maggie5

maggie5

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:35 PM

i just ate planters cashews and am having a gluten reaction, exactly 45 minutes after eating-like i always do. can anyone tell me if planters has a problem with contamination?

bubble

The package of Planters cashews does not say that it contains wheat but both my son and I (both with celiac) feel dreadful with headaches and nausea about 1 hour after eating.

#12 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

maggie, this thread is from 3 years ago - just so you know.
Gluten-free, Vegan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: