8 replies to this topic

#1 debbief

debbief

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:48 PM

After having a Father's Day BBQ and thinking I had done all the right things to ensure I had a gluten-free meal, today I am miserable with hives and terrible itching, not to mention the stomach issues...I did drink a chocolate martini with Godiva and Kahlua in it. I just assumed they were gluten-free and safe. Does anyone know their status? Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:35 PM

I know the kahlua is, don't know about the Godiva.

I get an upset stomach these days from martinis, even if they're made with potato vodka. On the other hand, rum and tequila doesn't upset my stomach at all. So, for me, it's not even a gluten thing with the vodka. Maybe it's the same for you. I used to handle it fine, and expect I will again in the future once I'm doing better.

Did you use bbq sauce? What kind? Are you sure the grill was clean of gluten? What about salad dressing?
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

I don't know whether or not the Godiva is gluten-free, but I know some of their candies are not, so you may want to check with them on that.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 debbief

debbief

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

After having a Father's Day BBQ and thinking I had done all the right things to ensure I had a gluten-free meal, today I am miserable with hives and terrible itching, not to mention the stomach issues...I did drink a chocolate martini with Godiva and Kahlua in it. I just assumed they were gluten-free and safe. Does anyone know their status? Thanks so much!

Thanks for the info....I'm much better today. The BBQ sauce I used was Sweet Baby Ray's and I made the salad dressing. The grill may have been the culprit. Also, a friend brought ribs. I inquired as to what he had marinated them in and he assured me nothing had gluten in it. I probably should have stuck with what I had prepared myself. I'll know better next time!

#5 watkinson

watkinson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:08 AM

Hi, I'm not a big drinker but I do love a chocolate martini! :P I have never had any reaction to stoli vokka and godiva chocolate liquer so I assume they are fine. I had one recently that they also added a mint liquer and cream. It was wonderful...tasted like mint chocolate ice cream. yummm!!! :lol:

#6 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the info....I'm much better today. The BBQ sauce I used was Sweet Baby Ray's and I made the salad dressing. The grill may have been the culprit. Also, a friend brought ribs. I inquired as to what he had marinated them in and he assured me nothing had gluten in it. I probably should have stuck with what I had prepared myself. I'll know better next time!

Most people don't realize soy and teriyaki have gluten, so the ribs could have been it. Hope you're feeling better.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#7 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

When I wrote to Godiva in the beginning of my diagnosis I was told to consider all their stuff to have gluten in it. They wouldnt guarantee any of their candies gluten free. Are they? Does someone know anything different? I miss some of my truffles..... :(
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

#8 Lauren M

Lauren M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

I also remember hearing that Godiva liquer has gluten in it. My friend makes an egg nog version with the white chocolate variety, and I've always avoided it even though it sounds soooo good!

- Lauren

#9 Gluten-Free in NYC

Gluten-Free in NYC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

When I wrote to Godiva in the beginning of my diagnosis I was told to consider all their stuff to have gluten in it. They wouldnt guarantee any of their candies gluten free. Are they? Does someone know anything different? I miss some of my truffles..... :(

Godiva Chocolates are not gluten free. :( They are not able to verify or confirm, so therefore, do not eat it.
Gluten free chocolates are: Cadbury (always check ingredients), Green and Black's organic is made in a gluten free facility and wheat free facility. All versions should be ok, and also Nestle. Those are confirmed. i am still doing research ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: