This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Infants Get Diabetes?

KayJay

KayJay Enthusiast

Just curious, my little girl is 10 months old and drinks water all day long. She drinks about 12-15oz a day of just water. She does eat fine and seems to be healthy but she looks like she is loosing weight to me now too. She may just be thinning out from crawling so much or maybe getting taller. I think I am worrying about nothing but diabetes does run in both of our families.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2kids4me Contributor

Yes babies can develop diabetes, if you have any suspicion - please get her checked ASAP.

Babies and young children tend to proceed to ketoacidois quicker than older children or adults.

Lets us know how things check out.

Tony'sMom Rookie

Yes, they can develop diabetes. My son was 12 months old when he was diagnosed. He was in DKA when he entered the hospital with blood sugars of 600+. Please have her tested if you are concerned.

My son symptoms at that age where- extreme thirst ( he would sit at the sink and cry for more water) peeing through his diapers at night, large weight loss, fatigue, and eventually he got lethargic and started vomiting.

I hope your little one is ok.

KayJay Enthusiast

wow thanks. I called the doctor and they want me to bring her in tomorrow and get her weight checked. I feel like I am being over paranoid but then something about it just isn't setting right with me either. I hope I am wrong and she is just thirsty from the heat :)

Tony's mom how did you know something was wrong with your son? Did his symptoms get worse when he started eating solids? Maddie seems to be fine with solids and not tired or anything like that. She still spits up quite a bit but more than anything just drinking a ton of water a day. She seems like she can't get enough. I am hoping she just got taller and looks thinner and that she hasn't lost any weight. :huh:

Tony'sMom Rookie

Hi kayjay.

Diabetes runs in my family so I was fortunate enough to recognize some of the signs. Tony started out by getting a little thin looking. Looking back, I can see the signs about a month before he was hospitalized. He was really scrawny- that's how he got his nickname Bones- and just looked tired and ill. I kept trying to get him in to see the doc but they kept blowing me off.

He went downhill fast :( I'm glad I took him to an emergancy clinic instead of waiting for the doc. Who know what might have happened.

I hope all goes well at the appointment tomorrow. Please keep us posted.

KayJay Enthusiast

Thanks I am glad that Tony is better now. That must have been really scary.

Maddie has gained 5 oz so that is good and they just told me to limit her water intake to 8 oz a day. I guess she is just slowing way down in growing. She has only gained 5 oz in 3 months. Everyone says she is just going to be small like me but I think I am small from Celiac :huh: My dh is nice and big and tall seems like she would have been a bigger baby. She was at the 50% until 6 months and now she keeps dropping and dropping at each visit :huh: But totally normal smart healthy baby other than that.

Archived