7 replies to this topic

#1 TCA

TCA

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:15 AM

If there is a topic that is giving info about how to start a gluten-free diet, could it be put at the top of the topics list in the Recovery/treatment forum? I'm sure there are other info type topics taht would be good to stick at the top of the forums permanently to help new folks find pertinent info. I'm on other message boards where this is done and just wondered if it could be done here.
If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.
Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)
Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork
Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06
Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05
"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:22 AM

If there is a topic that is giving info about how to start a gluten-free diet, could it be put at the top of the topics list in the Recovery/treatment forum? I'm sure there are other info type topics taht would be good to stick at the top of the forums permanently to help new folks find pertinent info. I'm on other message boards where this is done and just wondered if it could be done here.

That's what the sticky is for.. but for some reason on this forum almost everything is marked sticky so it just puts the most recent one at the top?

Short of removing the stickies from normal threads I don't think this can be done without hacking the IPB code.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#3 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:27 AM

That is something I have never understood about this board. On the dozens of other boards I have read, only the most critical 5% or so of threads get pinned. Here every thread is pinned. Totally defeats the purpose and concept of pinning threads.

:blink: ???

#4 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:31 AM

That's what the sticky is for.. but for some reason on this forum almost everything is marked sticky so it just puts the most recent one at the top?

Short of removing the stickies from normal threads I don't think this can be done without hacking the IPB code.

I've belonged to lots of boards, and moderated on a few. This is the only board I've ever seen where the routine procedure is for everything to be marked a sticky after moderation, which prevents normal 'stickying' from taking place. It does have limitations.
Nothing

#5 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:13 PM

TCA, why don't you send Scott a PM to ask him about this? His nick here is just 'admin'.

I don't believe that we make stickies out of everything by pinning threads, though. Because stickies always stay on the top, no matter how many responses (or any responses) they get. The pinned threads move according to responses.

The good thing about the way we do things here is, that no inappropriate threads slip by us, and are caught immediately, because we have to read every single initial post. That is something not done on other forums. Also, this way every post is put into the appropriate forum right away, even if the poster didn't start it in the right one.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 miles2go

miles2go

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

TCA, why don't you send Scott a PM to ask him about this? His nick here is just 'admin'.

I don't believe that we make stickies out of everything by pinning threads, though. Because stickies always stay on the top, no matter how many responses (or any responses) they get. The pinned threads move according to responses.

The good thing about the way we do things here is, that no inappropriate threads slip by us, and are caught immediately, because we have to read every single initial post. That is something not done on other forums. Also, this way every post is put into the appropriate forum right away, even if the poster didn't start it in the right one.

And some sweetheart(s) salvaged me at least once for that, so thanks! :)

#7 TCA

TCA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:36 PM

sent Scott a PM earlier. I'll let you know what he says... Thanks!
If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.
Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)
Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork
Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06
Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05
"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:31 AM

Actually I think most boards use the "Pinned Topic" or "Sticky" feature incorrectly--mainly because they are not moderated too well. Basically every post on this board is moderated, and when someone makes a new post it goes to the back of the topic until it is moderated and pinned, then it appears at the front of the topic. That is really how that feature is supposed to be used, but you are correct, most boards just pin a few topics on their boards which remain at the front.

I prefer using that feature the way it was meant to be used and moderating every post. Also, with multiple moderators as we have on this board pinning the topics is the only way that the moderators can effectively review all posts without duplicating their work--using the pinned feature guarantees that all posts get moderated and none of the moderators will duplicate each others' work.

Take care,
Scott

sent Scott a PM earlier. I'll let you know what he says... Thanks!

Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: