This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Putting Topic At The Top Of A Forum

TCA

TCA Contributor

If there is a topic that is giving info about how to start a gluten-free diet, could it be put at the top of the topics list in the Recovery/treatment forum? I'm sure there are other info type topics taht would be good to stick at the top of the forums permanently to help new folks find pertinent info. I'm on other message boards where this is done and just wondered if it could be done here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
If there is a topic that is giving info about how to start a gluten-free diet, could it be put at the top of the topics list in the Recovery/treatment forum? I'm sure there are other info type topics taht would be good to stick at the top of the forums permanently to help new folks find pertinent info. I'm on other message boards where this is done and just wondered if it could be done here.

That's what the sticky is for.. but for some reason on this forum almost everything is marked sticky so it just puts the most recent one at the top?

Short of removing the stickies from normal threads I don't think this can be done without hacking the IPB code.

Wandering Hermit Contributor

That is something I have never understood about this board. On the dozens of other boards I have read, only the most critical 5% or so of threads get pinned. Here every thread is pinned. Totally defeats the purpose and concept of pinning threads.

:blink: ???

eKatherine Rookie
That's what the sticky is for.. but for some reason on this forum almost everything is marked sticky so it just puts the most recent one at the top?

Short of removing the stickies from normal threads I don't think this can be done without hacking the IPB code.

I've belonged to lots of boards, and moderated on a few. This is the only board I've ever seen where the routine procedure is for everything to be marked a sticky after moderation, which prevents normal 'stickying' from taking place. It does have limitations.

Ursa Major Collaborator

TCA, why don't you send Scott a PM to ask him about this? His nick here is just 'admin'.

I don't believe that we make stickies out of everything by pinning threads, though. Because stickies always stay on the top, no matter how many responses (or any responses) they get. The pinned threads move according to responses.

The good thing about the way we do things here is, that no inappropriate threads slip by us, and are caught immediately, because we have to read every single initial post. That is something not done on other forums. Also, this way every post is put into the appropriate forum right away, even if the poster didn't start it in the right one.

miles2go Contributor
TCA, why don't you send Scott a PM to ask him about this? His nick here is just 'admin'.

I don't believe that we make stickies out of everything by pinning threads, though. Because stickies always stay on the top, no matter how many responses (or any responses) they get. The pinned threads move according to responses.

The good thing about the way we do things here is, that no inappropriate threads slip by us, and are caught immediately, because we have to read every single initial post. That is something not done on other forums. Also, this way every post is put into the appropriate forum right away, even if the poster didn't start it in the right one.

And some sweetheart(s) salvaged me at least once for that, so thanks! :)

TCA Contributor

sent Scott a PM earlier. I'll let you know what he says... Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Actually I think most boards use the "Pinned Topic" or "Sticky" feature incorrectly--mainly because they are not moderated too well. Basically every post on this board is moderated, and when someone makes a new post it goes to the back of the topic until it is moderated and pinned, then it appears at the front of the topic. That is really how that feature is supposed to be used, but you are correct, most boards just pin a few topics on their boards which remain at the front.

I prefer using that feature the way it was meant to be used and moderating every post. Also, with multiple moderators as we have on this board pinning the topics is the only way that the moderators can effectively review all posts without duplicating their work--using the pinned feature guarantees that all posts get moderated and none of the moderators will duplicate each others' work.

Take care,

Scott

sent Scott a PM earlier. I'll let you know what he says... Thanks!

Archived