- - - - -

Infected Salivary Gland?

• Please log in to reply

16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:24 AM

I feel like i am a mutant! Last week I noticed I had a swollen lymph node under my jaw and the next day a huge lump on my jaw so i went to my doctor and it turned out to be an infected salivary gland. has anyone had one before? I read they can be fairly common after surgery- had my gall bladder out about a month ago so don't know if that's the correlation. Weird stuff!

She gave me Keflex which seems to be doing the job.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:40 AM

I've never had one but it sure sounds painful. Hope you get feeling better soon.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 Green12

Green12

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:04 AM

I feel like i am a mutant! Last week I noticed I had a swollen lymph node under my jaw and the next day a huge lump on my jaw so i went to my doctor and it turned out to be an infected salivary gland. has anyone had one before? I read they can be fairly common after surgery- had my gall bladder out about a month ago so don't know if that's the correlation. Weird stuff!

She gave me Keflex which seems to be doing the job.

I've never heard of this.

You have had so much to deal with, the surgery, your exams, etc. You've been under a lot of stress and your immune system has taken a beating as a result, it was a prime time for an infection to take up residence and settle in.

Take real good care of yourself during this time and get as much rest as possible.

I hope you heal quickly and get to feeling better, and stronger, real soon :)

#4 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:05 AM

I have an enlarged salivary gland, they also gave me keflex..it didnt make it go away, but it did get a bit smaller. But you can def get lumps and bumps around that area if u are fighting an infection, i wouldnt worry, sometimes those take time to go away....even if the infection is gone they can still stay enlarged.
Hope u feel better :D

PS my ENT also told me that those glands can enlarge due to dehydration...so drink up!
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

#5 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:35 AM

Ahhh... dehydration? That could be due to the copious amounts of diet Coke I drank during the exam. She told me to suck on lemon drops to activate the gland. I told my hubby the doctor told me to go suck a lemon! :P

It's definitely much better- I'm just beat. First infection I've had since going gluten-free though!

#6 LKelly8

LKelly8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:41 PM

My mother, also celiac, has this Salivary Gland Infections. I never knew you could get stones in your salivary gland. She tries to stay away from the antibiotics if she can, I think mostly to avoid going to the doctor! :lol: She uses lemon drops, makes sure she drinks enough fluid, etc.

I've been diagnosed with sjogren's (show-grins) syndrome, it causes dry eyes/mouth and is yet another autoimmune disorder to add to my already impressive list. :wacko:

Sjogrens Syndrome

#7 evie

evie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

Sjogrens Syndrome[/url]

kelly....my husband & I both have had sjogrens disease for several years, we use eye drops and i am so thirsty most of the time. I keep a thermos of water nearby, do not drink hardly anything but filtered water. I wonder if this problem also fits in with celiac disease? If you notice I do not capitalize much it is my keyboard not responding correctly. :angry: evie

#8 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:51 PM

I read about the stones and Sjogren's. Actually a friend of mine has lupus and Sjogren's. Ugh! Gotta love these clusters of autoimmune disorders! Wish they could do autoimmune transplants :P

Actually, I am thirsty ALL the time and my friends are always asking if I'm diabetic. Have been tested many times and I'm not, but I didn't know that was a symptom of Sjogren's. I don't have dry eyes though.

#9 indyceliac

indyceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:47 PM

My son had one before and the doctor actually suggested having him suck on SOUR candies..because it gets the salivary glands to work harder..helps clear out the infection, i guess.
I dunno, useless info thought i would share! : )

(oops, i see someone already posted about the lemon drops).

#10 LKelly8

LKelly8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:45 PM

I wonder if this problem also fits in with celiac disease?

All the autoimmune disorders tend to cluster. I guess it's like a bad wheel on a wagon, once one spoke breaks the whole wagon starts to wobble! :lol:

I have sjogren's, celiac and I've had active juvenile rheumatoid arthritis since infancy. My mother has celiac and vitiligo. Other autoimmune disorders in my family: ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis, and crohn's. All on my mother's side and affecting the women only. Seriously, we should be studied. :blink:

#11 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:19 PM

Did the infection start with a salivary gland stone? I've had stones get stirred up and block the gland's opening and the glad blew up. Once the stone dislodges the glad goes down. (by the way, cats get this a lot so I might be part cat!)

The stones get stired up when I have a lifesaver or coughdrop in my mouth.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#12 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:55 PM

How would I know if I had a stone? It just started as a swelling that was very tender. First time I've ever had it. Gone now though :D

#13 lgleeson

lgleeson

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

How would I know if I had a stone? It just started as a swelling that was very tender. First time I've ever had it. Gone now though :D

I had a stone that blocked my salivary gland for alsmost 10 years before being diagnosed. There is a test that they can do. It kept getting bigger and I had more and more infections. It got to the point where I had to have my salivary gland removed. The stone was an inch long. I, too, have celiac but am not sure of the correlation. I do not have Sjoren's. I feel great now!

#14 jeannie

jeannie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:52 PM

My husband sucks on Jolly Ranchers.....sour lemon. He is prone to have this problem, so he keeps thems around and uses them as needed.....

#15 Bluehydrangea

Bluehydrangea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

I'm not sure if I have celiac or not but I'm fairly certain I do now that I've been reading about it. I'm convinced I have DH. My salivary gland gets swollen so large it looks like i have the mumps. This happens when I eat something I shouldn't. It used to swell and then the awful itching would start. Used to be no bumps or anything. Just the swollen gland and intense itching. I went to ENT doc and he told me there was nothing wrong with it but if it itched go see a dermatologist. The problem I had is that I didn't know what was making it swell or making me itch. So unless I ate something I shouldn't I couldn't make it happen. So the dermatologist saw nothing either.

So for the last 7 years or so I've been convinced it's just something I have to live with.

I'm trying to cut out gluten and it helps. Hard to do though. I went out to dinner tonight and had nothing that even remotely appeared to have any gluten. However, there was a balsamic glaze on the chicken that I'm now convince had gluten. 15 minute after eating my salivary gland was so swollen and the itching started.

I came home and took a benadryl and it seems to have calmed it down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: