Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

How Do You Take Probiotics With Antibiotics?

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:30 AM

Hi Everyone- I developed an infected salivary gland last Thursday so I was put on Keflex which seems to be doing the trick. But I know I need to take probiotics with antibiotics to replenish the good bacteria. So, I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I've been taking the Keflex in the early am and late pm and the probiotics 3 times throughout the day. But am I just wiping out all the good every time I take a Keflex?

Should I wait until I finish the antibiotics to do a round of probiotics? And how long after taking the Keflex should I keep taking the probiotics?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks, Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dlp252

dlp252

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:26 AM

I always took my probiotics during and after my course of antibiotics. I usually had to take the antibiotics twice a day, so took them at 4:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., then I'd take my probiotics at bedtime (around 8:00 p.m.)...the instructions on the bottle of probiotics I had said to take them on an empty stomach, so that was the best time of day for me to do that. I always figured the probiotics MIGHT be cancelled out by the antibiotics, but there was a chance that SOME of them survived and that was better than not have any, lol. I definitely continued taking them after the course was done...in fact usually take them every day regardless of whether I'm on or have been on antibiotics.

#3 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:10 AM

As Donna, said...during and after. I take them (with a meal) during the course of antibiotics and for atleast week or so afterwards. Remember some antibiotics stay in your system for a bit after you stop taking them. Make sure you get a supplement with Lactobacillus in it. One of my favorites is this brand: http://www.kyolic.co...ophiluscaps.htm You can pick up in health food stores, wild oats etc. PS: Remember to pay close attention to expiration dates.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:16 AM

Hi Everyone- I developed an infected salivary gland last Thursday so I was put on Keflex which seems to be doing the trick. But I know I need to take probiotics with antibiotics to replenish the good bacteria. So, I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I've been taking the Keflex in the early am and late pm and the probiotics 3 times throughout the day. But am I just wiping out all the good every time I take a Keflex?

Should I wait until I finish the antibiotics to do a round of probiotics? And how long after taking the Keflex should I keep taking the probiotics?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks, Beverly

In addition if you are not dairy intolerant you may want to eat yogurt at least a couple times a day. We start the yogurt the same time as the antibiotics and have never needed anything else. Just make sure it has live cultures and is gluten-free.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

My doctor deals with supplements and is a medical doctor. When she prescribed me antibiotics she had me take a small dose of probiotics while I was on the antibiotics. When I got off the antibiotics then I started a heavy dose of probiotics.

She said that yogurt doesn't really have enough probiotics to be helpful, but that it doesn't hurt. I have also started drinking kefir (lifeway brand) which has lots of probiotics.

But yes, you are just killing the good each time you take the antibiotics.

#6 ndaynes

ndaynes

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:26 PM

Ok BERNESES here is the deal:

Anytime you are taking antibiotics you should take probiotics. Antibiotics strip away any bacteria that you have in your gut, good or bad. Probiotics promote the growth of good bacteria. This good bacteria eats away anything that is "bad" in your gut letting your immune system go do other more important things.

So use a product with a high CFU count, I use a product that has a guaranteed 12billion. Yogurt for reference has 1 million, so as good as it is for you it won't really help as much as one of these supplements.

Always take the probiotic on a full stomach, most probiotics do not come in a time released capsule, so if you take it on an empty stomach the probiotic will be eaten up in your stomach acids.

Don't be afraid to take 3+ per meal, these are natural and are found in your body anyway. If you feel a cold coming on boost it up to 4 or 5.

Well that's all I can think of for the moment, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-nathan

#7 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:07 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll continue to take the probiotics anyway and then up it when I stop the Keflex.

If your stomach acid eats it, why does the bottle recommend taking it on an empty stomach? :blink:

#8 ndaynes

ndaynes

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:18 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll continue to take the probiotics anyway and then up it when I stop the Keflex.

If your stomach acid eats it, why does the bottle recommend taking it on an empty stomach? :blink:

Because they figure that enough will get through into your gut before all the bacteria are gone, but with the low CFU count to begin with it would be better to make sure all of them get through--a full stomach.

Flip the trial around, take a lot of probiotics now and then back it off once you are finished with the antibiotics. You need a lot (2-4 after a meal 2x a day) now because the antibiotics are stripping them away. Once you are off of them you only need say 1-2 capsules after a meal 2x a day, because the antibiotics are no longer stripping them away.

Hope that helps good luck.

#9 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:25 PM

Thanks all for the advice. Especially about the exp. date (forgot about that and as it turns out- mine expired!). Jen- will look for the kyodophilus tomorrow. And about taking it with a meal. Never would have thought of that!

#10 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:06 AM

Glad we could help. Taking probiotics does work... I used to always get yeast infections with antibiotics. Since I started taking the probiotics--I have never gotten another one. And that is just one of the benefits...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: