20 replies to this topic

#1 Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:31 AM

I'd also prefer if it was free of corn (I think I remember somebody saying many tomato sauces had corn) but I'll take suggestions either way since I'm gonna challenge corn prior to a general food test panel in a week or 2.. thanks
- Charlie

- gluten free since January, 2006

- multiple food intolerances temporarily from leaky gut and candida

- positive test for lyme disease - April, 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:37 AM

If you have Muir Glen in the store you shop at, check that out. They would be in the health food section not the regular section. I don't have a can right now or I'd check the ingredients for you. I buy all Muir Glen canned tomatoes.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:04 AM

I recently tried this one and liked it:

http://www.risingmoo...ducts/sauce.php

It definitely appears to be corn-free. I tried the Merlot one. Here are the ingredients:

Water, Organic Tomato, Organic Onion, Organic Carrot, Organic Garlic, Organic Merlot Wine, Organic Mustard, Sea Salt, Organic Parsley, Organic Basil, Organic Italian Herb Blend, Organic Black Pepper.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#4 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:38 AM

I recently tried this one and liked it:

http://www.risingmoo...ducts/sauce.php

It definitely appears to be corn-free. I tried the Merlot one. Here are the ingredients:

Water, Organic Tomato, Organic Onion, Organic Carrot, Organic Garlic, Organic Merlot Wine, Organic Mustard, Sea Salt, Organic Parsley, Organic Basil, Organic Italian Herb Blend, Organic Black Pepper.

Good find Mango!

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

premade or recipe? (I don't do premade, and only have recipes...)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

I found my can of tomato sauce by Muir Glen. This one has no added salt but they sell both.

Organic tomato puree (water,organic tomato paste), organic onion powder, naturally derived citric acid and organic garlic powder.

What I don't remember is if citric acid is corn derived.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#7 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:34 PM

it is really easy, and cheaper to make your own... tomatoes, fresh herbs.. that's really all it takes!
Gluten-free, Vegan

#8 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

What I don't remember is if citric acid is corn derived.

Citric acid is corn derived :(

I agree with lorka it's really easy to make your own sauce, then you know exactly what is going into it. I usually just saute some onion and garlic in a little olive oil, tear up some fresh (peeled) tomatoes and throw them into the pan, a little fresh basil and simmer until it gets saucy.

#9 DeeTee33

DeeTee33

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:54 PM

I'd also prefer if it was free of corn (I think I remember somebody saying many tomato sauces had corn) but I'll take suggestions either way since I'm gonna challenge corn prior to a general food test panel in a week or 2.. thanks

I make my own sauce, I use Contadina Puree. Ingredients: Tomato Puree, (Water, Tomato Paste,Citric Acid. That's all it says on the label! Stay away from the sauce though. The Sauce has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it.

It takes less than five minutes to prepare. Just add basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, tablespoon of sugar, dash red pepper...really whatever you like. It's really simple. Just let it simmer for a while.You can use real garlic and onion if you prefer. (Just don't put ground fennel in it. Then it will taste like pizza topping.)(unless you decide you want to try that too.)

Give it a try and enjoy
!

I agree with lorka it's really easy to make your own sauce, then you know exactly what is going into it. I usually just saute some onion and garlic in a little olive oil, tear up some fresh (peeled) tomatoes and throw them into the pan, a little fresh basil and simmer until it gets saucy.

Sorry. I didn't know citric acid was derived from corn. Can it be derived from anything else?
Debbie

Please visit my Personal Profile page!

#10 DeeTee33

DeeTee33

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:20 PM

[quote name='juliem' date='Jun 20 2006, 10:47 PM' post='155709']

Where did you hear Citric Acid was corn derived?

According to the Wikipedia Site Citric Acid is not derived from corn but mainly from lemons and limes. I guess if a product is in question just call the company.

Citric acid
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Citric acid is a weak organic acid found in citrus fruits. It is a good, natural preservative and is also used to add an acidic (sour) taste to foods and soft drinks. In biochemistry, it is important as an intermediate in the citric acid cycle and therefore occurs in the metabolism of almost all living things. It also serves as an environmentally benign cleaning agent and acts as an antioxidant.

Citric acid exists in a variety of fruits and vegetables, but it is most concentrated in lemons and limes, where it can comprise as much as 8% of the dry weight of the fruit.

Please let me know if you find a site that says otherwise.
Debbie

#11 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:00 AM

Tiffany, I would like your recipe - I want to start making my own and planted a bunch of roma tomato plants this spring with that in mind.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#12 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:31 AM

Where did you hear Citric Acid was corn derived?

I have been researching corn allergies, citric acid is on the very long list of ingredients to avoid. Almost all commercially made citric acid is now derived from corn because it's cheap.

At the Avoiding Corn Forum there is a relatively new thread talking about this topic: Avoiding Corn
scroll down a little ways on the left side menu and you will see "Citric Acid Uses"

If you want a premade sauce, I like Amy's Premium Organic Pasta Sauce "Family Marinara". The ingredients are: Organic Tomato Puree, Organic Onions, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Organic Garlic, Spices

....and it says on the jar "gluten-free"

#13 DeeTee33

DeeTee33

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:27 AM

I have been researching corn allergies, citric acid is on the very long list of ingredients to avoid. Almost all commercially made citric acid is now derived from corn because it's cheap.

At the Avoiding Corn Forum there is a relatively new thread talking about this topic: Avoiding Corn
scroll down a little ways on the left side menu and you will see "Citric Acid Uses"
If you want a premade sauce, I like Amy's Premium Organic Pasta Sauce "Family Marinara". The ingredients are: Organic Tomato Puree, Organic Onions, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Organic Garlic, Spices

Interesting article. I always learn something from this forum!

I called Contadina about their Puree and they said their citric acid is man-made and corn is not used in the process. So anyone with a corn allergy can freely use it! (Their Puree not their sauce.)

I also agree, Amy's has great sauces and even salsa. I don't know if their salsa has corn in it but it is gluten-free.

Debbie

#14 Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

you eat amy's sauce with no problems? cause you're avoiding soy, corn, gluten, dairy, etc. as well, right?

also, I've avoided all amy's products for a while due to the cross contamination concerns, but you guys have been fine with Amy's tomato sauce?
- Charlie

- gluten free since January, 2006

- multiple food intolerances temporarily from leaky gut and candida

- positive test for lyme disease - April, 2007

#15 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:41 PM

you eat amy's sauce with no problems? cause you're avoiding soy, corn, gluten, dairy, etc. as well, right?

also, I've avoided all amy's products for a while due to the cross contamination concerns, but you guys have been fine with Amy's tomato sauce?

Sorry I am so belated in getting back to you on this, I can eat this Amy's Pasta Sauce with no problems. And yes, I am avoiding soy, corn, gluten, and dairy.

As far as cc with Amy's, there have been a couple of different threads about this that I have noticed and some do have problems with her products while many others do not. It really comes down to the individual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: