This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Recommend A Good Tomato Sauce?

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

I'd also prefer if it was free of corn (I think I remember somebody saying many tomato sauces had corn) but I'll take suggestions either way since I'm gonna challenge corn prior to a general food test panel in a week or 2.. thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

If you have Muir Glen in the store you shop at, check that out. They would be in the health food section not the regular section. I don't have a can right now or I'd check the ingredients for you. I buy all Muir Glen canned tomatoes.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I recently tried this one and liked it:

Open Original Shared Link

It definitely appears to be corn-free. I tried the Merlot one. Here are the ingredients:

Water, Organic Tomato, Organic Onion, Organic Carrot, Organic Garlic, Organic Merlot Wine, Organic Mustard, Sea Salt, Organic Parsley, Organic Basil, Organic Italian Herb Blend, Organic Black Pepper.

Green12 Enthusiast
I recently tried this one and liked it:

Open Original Shared Link

It definitely appears to be corn-free. I tried the Merlot one. Here are the ingredients:

Water, Organic Tomato, Organic Onion, Organic Carrot, Organic Garlic, Organic Merlot Wine, Organic Mustard, Sea Salt, Organic Parsley, Organic Basil, Organic Italian Herb Blend, Organic Black Pepper.

Good find Mango!

tarnalberry Community Regular

premade or recipe? (I don't do premade, and only have recipes...)

AndreaB Contributor

I found my can of tomato sauce by Muir Glen. This one has no added salt but they sell both.

Organic tomato puree (water,organic tomato paste), organic onion powder, naturally derived citric acid and organic garlic powder.

What I don't remember is if citric acid is corn derived.

lorka150 Collaborator

it is really easy, and cheaper to make your own... tomatoes, fresh herbs.. that's really all it takes!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast
What I don't remember is if citric acid is corn derived.

Citric acid is corn derived :(

I agree with lorka it's really easy to make your own sauce, then you know exactly what is going into it. I usually just saute some onion and garlic in a little olive oil, tear up some fresh (peeled) tomatoes and throw them into the pan, a little fresh basil and simmer until it gets saucy.

DeeTee33 Newbie
I'd also prefer if it was free of corn (I think I remember somebody saying many tomato sauces had corn) but I'll take suggestions either way since I'm gonna challenge corn prior to a general food test panel in a week or 2.. thanks

I make my own sauce, I use Contadina Puree. Ingredients: Tomato Puree, (Water, Tomato Paste,Citric Acid. That's all it says on the label! Stay away from the sauce though. The Sauce has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it.

It takes less than five minutes to prepare. Just add basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, tablespoon of sugar, dash red pepper...really whatever you like. It's really simple. Just let it simmer for a while.You can use real garlic and onion if you prefer. (Just don't put ground fennel in it. Then it will taste like pizza topping.)(unless you decide you want to try that too.)

Give it a try and enjoy!

I agree with lorka it's really easy to make your own sauce, then you know exactly what is going into it. I usually just saute some onion and garlic in a little olive oil, tear up some fresh (peeled) tomatoes and throw them into the pan, a little fresh basil and simmer until it gets saucy.

Sorry. I didn't know citric acid was derived from corn. Can it be derived from anything else?

DeeTee33 Newbie

Where did you hear Citric Acid was corn derived?

According to the Wikipedia Site Citric Acid is not derived from corn but mainly from lemons and limes. I guess if a product is in question just call the company.

Citric acid

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Citric acid is a weak organic acid found in citrus fruits. It is a good, natural preservative and is also used to add an acidic (sour) taste to foods and soft drinks. In biochemistry, it is important as an intermediate in the citric acid cycle and therefore occurs in the metabolism of almost all living things. It also serves as an environmentally benign cleaning agent and acts as an antioxidant.

Citric acid exists in a variety of fruits and vegetables, but it is most concentrated in lemons and limes, where it can comprise as much as 8% of the dry weight of the fruit.

Please let me know if you find a site that says otherwise.

kabowman Explorer

Tiffany, I would like your recipe - I want to start making my own and planted a bunch of roma tomato plants this spring with that in mind.

Green12 Enthusiast
Where did you hear Citric Acid was corn derived?

I have been researching corn allergies, citric acid is on the very long list of ingredients to avoid. Almost all commercially made citric acid is now derived from corn because it's cheap.

At the Avoiding Corn Forum there is a relatively new thread talking about this topic: Open Original Shared Link

scroll down a little ways on the left side menu and you will see "Citric Acid Uses"

If you want a premade sauce, I like Amy's Premium Organic Pasta Sauce "Family Marinara". The ingredients are: Organic Tomato Puree, Organic Onions, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Organic Garlic, Spices

....and it says on the jar "gluten-free"

DeeTee33 Newbie
I have been researching corn allergies, citric acid is on the very long list of ingredients to avoid. Almost all commercially made citric acid is now derived from corn because it's cheap.

At the Avoiding Corn Forum there is a relatively new thread talking about this topic: Open Original Shared Link

scroll down a little ways on the left side menu and you will see "Citric Acid Uses"

If you want a premade sauce, I like Amy's Premium Organic Pasta Sauce "Family Marinara". The ingredients are: Organic Tomato Puree, Organic Onions, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Organic Garlic, Spices

Interesting article. I always learn something from this forum!

I called Contadina about their Puree and they said their citric acid is man-made and corn is not used in the process. So anyone with a corn allergy can freely use it! (Their Puree not their sauce.)

I also agree, Amy's has great sauces and even salsa. I don't know if their salsa has corn in it but it is gluten-free.

you eat amy's sauce with no problems? cause you're avoiding soy, corn, gluten, dairy, etc. as well, right?

also, I've avoided all amy's products for a while due to the cross contamination concerns, but you guys have been fine with Amy's tomato sauce?

Green12 Enthusiast
you eat amy's sauce with no problems? cause you're avoiding soy, corn, gluten, dairy, etc. as well, right?

also, I've avoided all amy's products for a while due to the cross contamination concerns, but you guys have been fine with Amy's tomato sauce?

Sorry I am so belated in getting back to you on this, I can eat this Amy's Pasta Sauce with no problems. And yes, I am avoiding soy, corn, gluten, and dairy.

As far as cc with Amy's, there have been a couple of different threads about this that I have noticed and some do have problems with her products while many others do not. It really comes down to the individual.

Sorry I am so belated in getting back to you on this, I can eat this Amy's Pasta Sauce with no problems. And yes, I am avoiding soy, corn, gluten, and dairy.

As far as cc with Amy's, there have been a couple of different threads about this that I have noticed and some do have problems with her products while many others do not. It really comes down to the individual.

digging through the archives huh? I forgot about this post but thanks.. I might give it a try... if I remember right from the Amy's posts, it seems that certain products from Amy's are more likely have cc issues than other products...

Green12 Enthusiast
digging through the archives huh? I forgot about this post but thanks.. I might give it a try... if I remember right from the Amy's posts, it seems that certain products from Amy's are more likely have cc issues than other products...

Good luck if you do try it :)

Yeah, I think maybe it was the frozen meals that people were reacting to? But I might be wrong so don't quote me on that!

tarnalberry Community Regular

While they're all recipes, I did add three recipes for tomato sauces (one with meat) to my "As Promised, A Few Recipes" thread.

• 11 months later...
barbara123 Apprentice

I have not been diagnosed yet. But just going off wheat(gluten) made me feel much better in only 3 days. I have been sick now for over 3 years. Vomiting until I thought I was going to die. Feeling like I was in a cloud, and scared to even go out in public. My niece in law has this problem so I tried going off of gluten and so far feeling better then I have in years. I was in the hospital for dehydration and pain. They couldnt find anything that would cause this problem. Can't get an appointment until october with a gastro dr. also on the tomato sauce question (Classico) is a good gluten free product. Thank you Barbara123

tom Contributor
According to the Wikipedia Site Citric Acid is not derived from corn but mainly from lemons and limes.

Ugh I wouldn't dare trust wikipedia for anything important. Citric Acid as an ingredient has nothing to do w/ citrus at least 99% of the time.

I did see one label somewhere that specified "citric acid (naturally derived)" recently, so that might involve citrus fruit.

The typical citric acid manufacturing process includes the fermentation of whichever source material. I don't recall what sources are most common.

I ran into some crazy-wrong nonsense at wiki recently regarding gliadin or gluten. Oh, I think they claimed gliadin was in barley & rye (hordein & secalinin would be right), besides the actual wheat it is in. I suppose the author's heart was in the right place but wrong is wrong when the goal is to be encyclopedic.

tom Contributor

Yikes, I'd seen the cc talk re: Amy's but never connected it to my fav sauce.

I think every time I saw the talk it was about the frozen dinners etc.

For pasta sauce I love Amy's Org Roasted Garlic. No sweeteners either. So many organic sauces include evap cane.

For tomato sauce & canned tomatoes I'm another Muir Glen fan.

Archived