2 replies to this topic

#1 sick&tired

sick&tired

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:22 AM

I am self diagnosed by a gluten-free diet. (What a difference!) I have developed an infection on the knuckle of my hand. The doc is concerned about a bone infection if it doesn't improve.
I first had an injection of an antibiotic to be followed up with a regimine of pills. I should have seen an improvement within 2 days. I didn't, so back to the Doc for another injection and a different antibiotic. It's 5 days later with no real improvement in swelling and pain and I'm wondering if because of celiac disease the antibiotic can't be absorbed.
Here is a quote I just read online about bone infection treatment:
Parenterally administered antibiotics are usually employed, but oral therapy is also effective when the pathogen is sufficiently susceptible and gastrointestinal absorption is ensured.
Thanks for all the info I've gained from this board. Hopefully, someone knows something about this. My Doc is pretty clueless when it comes to celiac disease.
Sincerely,
Bobbi

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:41 AM

The injections go directly to your blood stream, so there should be no issues with them. They never go into your intestines, so nothing to worry about with them.

As far as the others go, I have always been told not to worry about it, they will be absorbed. Maybe someone has some research on this issue. I just know what I have been told in the past.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 sick&tired

sick&tired

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:37 AM

Thanks Jessica. Yes, I know the injections skip the gastro tract. I was given injections as a jump start for treatment. Could be I'm not getting the right anti-biotic or possibly it's not being properly absorbed because of celiac disease. Looks like I'll have to return to the Doctor today. I don't want to end up in the hospital with an I.V. drip if it turns into a bone infection.

Best to all.........
Bobbi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: