This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stir Fry

Lister

Lister Rising Star

Well my birthday is over and one of my gifts was a stainless steek wok.

I love it but i dont know how to use it

can someone give me detailed instructions on how to cook things correctly with it, also can someone give me good recipes for stir frys, i dont eat fish or seafood so please stick to either chicken,pork or steak as the meet and if it uses sauces please state the brand you use so i know what to get i want to make a nice stir fry dinner for me and my girlfriend tonight thank you

oh and for the ones that where asking, yes i got my cat, he is a beutiful orange and white tabby about 7 months old i got it home and my roommate loved him so much we went out today and got his ferternal twin from the shelter so now we have 2 very cuddaly cats running around i will get some pics up when i can figure out how to- we have a bluetooth phone anyone know how to send pics to a wireless connection?>?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

francelajoie Explorer

My favorite stir fry (because it's so easy) is using sesame oil, soysauce, chicken broth, fresh garlic and fresh ginger.

I start by sauteying the garlic and ginger in the sesame oil until soft, then add you meat (chicken works best), cook until white throughout and set the meat aside. Add some chicken broth...bring to a simmer and add any veggies you want. When cooked yet still crispy, add chicken and a couple splashes of soysauce. Heat through. At the end, mix 1 teaspoon of cornstarch to a 1/3 cup of cold water and slowly wisk into the liquid. It's ready when thickened.

Serve over rice.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hey Lister--great to hear you had a nice birthday! I can't wait to see your new kittens--I love orange tabbies! I've never had one, but I think they're beautiful. I always regretted not getting on of my cat's brothers or sisters when we got him. That's a good idea. Here is Carriefaith's recipe thread--she has lots of stir-fry ideas--

Open Original Shared Link

tarnalberry Community Regular

can someone give me detailed instructions on how to cook things correctly with it, also can someone give me good recipes for stir frys, i dont eat fish or seafood so please stick to either chicken,pork or steak as the meet and if it uses sauces please state the brand you use so i know what to get i want to make a nice stir fry dinner for me and my girlfriend tonight thank you

oh and for the ones that where asking, yes i got my cat, he is a beutiful orange and white tabby about 7 months old i got it home and my roommate loved him so much we went out today and got his ferternal twin from the shelter so now we have 2 very cuddaly cats running around i will get some pics up when i can figure out how to- we have a bluetooth phone anyone know how to send pics to a wireless connection?>?

I posted a number of stir fry recipes in my "as promised, a few recipes" post. I know there are a number of other stir-fry recipes in that recipes section as well.

Lister Rising Star

is there gluten-free soy sauce?? also what brand of broths are safe

jkmunchkin Rising Star
is there gluten-free soy sauce?? also what brand of broths are safe

Swanson chicken broth is safe, and San-J Wheat Free Soy Sauce. San-J makes several varieties so make sure to get the Wheat Free one.

olalisa Contributor
Swanson chicken broth is safe, and San-J Wheat Free Soy Sauce. San-J makes several varieties so make sure to get the Wheat Free one.

So far I've only used the San-J wheat free soy sauce, but I'm reasonably sure that La Choy soy sauce is also gluten free. In any case, it is a con-agra brand and they always list gluten.

Enjoy your wok! AND your KITTY :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lister Rising Star

what brands of sesamie oil?

Mango04 Enthusiast

seasame oil should be okay as long as its just pure oil.

The great thing about stir frys is you don't really need a recipe. If you like all the ingredients that you are throwing in the wok it's hard to mess it up.

Lisa Mentor

I would look for toasted sesame oil....it is the best. Just look for toasted.

CarlaB Enthusiast

You should be able to email yourself the pics to your email address. Then they'll be on your computer.

Everyone else seems to have answered the rest of your questios. Glad you got your kitty and had a nice birthday. Someone left a kitty on our doorstep. Don't know why people assume you want another pet if you have kids, but it's an outside cat and we feed it. It's still a baby and seems to already know all the neighbors.

Carla

Guhlia Rising Star

Make sure if you get Swanson chicken broth that you DO NOT get the organic one. It's NOT gluten free. The regular chicken broth is gluten free.

jerseyangel Proficient

Imagine broths are very good, too.

Lisa Mentor
Imagine broths are very good, too.

Patti:

It's hard to keep up with you, with a new picture....soon , I will try to put one up for me unless someone else can do it. I would like to post one of my daughter, the newly young bride.

Lisa

Lister Rising Star

is all olive oil gluten-free?? i got some olive oil at the store, has no ingriedants listed on it at all

Lisa Mentor

OLIVE OIL... the only ingendent, probly sooo B)

Lister Rising Star

alright sheesh i feel the pain from the capslock

Lister Rising Star

for that chicken broth i got the 99 fat free is that still all good? it has anoydize yeast is that safe?

Lister Rising Star

does swanson clearly disclose because the broth says it has monosodium glutamate- and thats on the no list

Mango04 Enthusiast
alright sheesh i feel the pain from the capslock

LOL PURE OILS ARE SAFE. Sorry I was just joking with the caps lock, but you really don't have to worry about those.

monosodium glutamate is msg. Here's a good list of ingredient explanations I just found. It's pretty straight forward:

Open Original Shared Link

Here's what it says about autolyzed yeast:

Yeast

All brand-name packaged yeasts sold in the US are gluten free. Autolyzed yeast in a food product is generally considered gluten free. Brewers yeast, when it's a by-product of beer, is not considered gluten free. Brewers yeast nutritional supplements, however, can be made from either brewer’s yeast or sugar. If made from sugar, they are gluten free.

I see autolyzed yeast in quite a few packaged gluten-free products.

Guest Robbin
:) Hi Lister --HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY :) You can also find a lot of great recipes on the different cooking sites like Recipezaar and Allrecipes.com. There are a lot of them. There's a thread in the recipes/cooking section where everyone listed their favorite cooking sites. Stir fry is easy to adapt to gluten free cooking. Let us know how it works out for you. Also, I use canola oil for stir fry and it works out good. Congratulations on the kitties too. I have had 4 tabby cats in my life at different times and they were all smart and very very ornery. :)
queenofhearts Explorer

Happy Birthday Lister!

Is your wok the bare iron kind or the non stick kind? If the former, it will work much better if you season it: coat it with oil & bake in a hot oven for an hour or so. It creates a non-stick surface that makes cooking much easier.

Another wok trick: Heat the wok before you put in the oil, rather that putting the oil in first. This too will keep food from sticking. I use peanut oil because it can take really high heat without smoking, but some folks are allergic to it I know.

Wok on!

Leah

tarnalberry Community Regular
Heat the wok before you put in the oil, rather that putting the oil in first.

Yep - always heat your pans before adding oil. And choose the right oil for the heat of cooking involved.

Lister Rising Star

i try to cook on low heat for now, for some reason my kitti has really hyper sensative hearing and oil poping drives him crazy, i cooked on low last night with olive oil turned out great well atleast the chicken did, i did not eat the veggies because my roommate put his fork into the wok and he was using it to eat breaded goodies, so i refuesed to eat my veggies instead i just added some lettice and put the chicken into a corn tortia, but it was still really nice and tender chicken- anyone know if olive oil upsets the stomic though? my stomic today has been awful and the only thing i can think is maybe just plain to much oil.

penguin Community Regular
i try to cook on low heat for now, for some reason my kitti has really hyper sensative hearing and oil poping drives him crazy, i cooked on low last night with olive oil turned out great well atleast the chicken did, i did not eat the veggies because my roommate put his fork into the wok and he was using it to eat breaded goodies, so i refuesed to eat my veggies instead i just added some lettice and put the chicken into a corn tortia, but it was still really nice and tender chicken- anyone know if olive oil upsets the stomic though? my stomic today has been awful and the only thing i can think is maybe just plain to much oil.

Did your roomate sneak any other bites when you weren't looking? Were his goodies anywhere near your food? Crumbs? Does the cat food have gluten in it?

I found that gluten-free, fried foods didn't agree with me, but that was like, deep fried foods. Stir fry never bothers me, unless I have too much rice.

I would suspect something other than the oil...

Oh, and when stir-frying it's essential to have higher heat. A high medium should work nicely.

Archived