16 replies to this topic

#1 beerlow77

beerlow77

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

Does anyone have any good suggestions on where to buy corn tortillas? I'm in Saskatchewan and all I can find is wheat flour tortillas with one exception-Que Pasa but the only ones I can find are quite small. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lorka150

lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

hi beerlow
i'm in ontario and the only ones i have seen are whole foods organic brand, but i know you dont have one there. i wanted to let you know, though, in case you have friends in BC or Ontario.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#3 Daxin

Daxin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

beerlow...I am also in Sask, and can only find the small corn tortillias at the local Safeway.

I am going to Nutters soon and will try to look there. If you see any thing let me know.

DS loves wraps and burritos, and so do I. I would love to be able to make some, but those small little shells make it tricky. (DS is gluten eater btw)

I hope we can find something soon.
Ryan

Positive blood work May 06
Positive results with diet change

#4 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:01 AM

Does anyone have any good suggestions on where to buy corn tortillas? I'm in Saskatchewan and all I can find is wheat flour tortillas with one exception-Que Pasa but the only ones I can find are quite small. Any suggestions?

I bought some at the Co-Op (Calgary). There were smallish, and they also fell apart when I tried to roll them. I found the corn flavour to be quite overpowering and basically ruined the wrap for me. I gave up on it and eat other stuff.
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#5 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:10 AM

beerlow...I am also in Sask, and can only find the small corn tortillias at the local Safeway.

I am going to Nutters soon and will try to look there. If you see any thing let me know.

DS loves wraps and burritos, and so do I. I would love to be able to make some, but those small little shells make it tricky. (DS is gluten eater btw)

I hope we can find something soon.

Corn tortillas just aren't as flexible as wheat ones. You can never wrap and fold, like a burrito or a wrap. Most often they are made into enchiladas, are fried, or just warmed and eaten on the side with a meal. The biggest ones you will find are a lot smaller than the big wheat ones that wrap so well.
Nothing

#6 beerlow77

beerlow77

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

Corn tortillas just aren't as flexible as wheat ones. You can never wrap and fold, like a burrito or a wrap. Most often they are made into enchiladas, are fried, or just warmed and eaten on the side with a meal. The biggest ones you will find are a lot smaller than the big wheat ones that wrap so well.

That doesn't seem right. Aren't corn tortillas widely used in the US and Mexico? When I've been in both countries I have had large corn tortillas. I know corn tortillas become easier to manipulate when you warm them up.

#7 Daxin

Daxin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

These ones are flexible like the flour ones, just very small, and hard to manipulate into wraps.
Ryan

#8 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:06 PM

I buy mainly Manny's corn tortillas at Safeway. I've also eaten Grimm's and Western Family. They are all small, but Manny's are the thickest.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#9 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

Manny's are ok for rolling, but I find them rather thick and coarse.

"Wraps" and burritos are always made from flour tortillas. Corn tortillas are used to make rolled things, like enchiladas, and fried things, like chips, tacos, and sopa secas. They just don't have the flexibility that wheat gluten gives flour tortillas, which you can fold without cracking.

You can roll filling into a corn tortilla, but I think they taste better cooked.
Nothing

#10 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

Daxin, beerlow, where in SK are you? I'm in SK too!

It would help if it wasnt glutened right now lol .. At this moment I cant remember where I found them! They were small ones, but if you microwave them they actually roll. I also like the Corn Tacos that superstore sells, microwaves those and they are good too haha.

I do most of my shopping at Mom's Nutrition (S'toon) or Old Fashion Foods--the big one on Albert North before the huge Walmart in Regina...so it was probably at one of those locations.

We should all chat :P it'd be cool to know some Celiac's in Sask!

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#11 Daxin

Daxin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:43 AM

Daxin, beerlow, where in SK are you? I'm in SK too!

It would help if it wasnt glutened right now lol .. At this moment I cant remember where I found them! They were small ones, but if you microwave them they actually roll. I also like the Corn Tacos that superstore sells, microwaves those and they are good too haha.

I do most of my shopping at Mom's Nutrition (S'toon) or Old Fashion Foods--the big one on Albert North before the huge Walmart in Regina...so it was probably at one of those locations.

We should all chat :P it'd be cool to know some Celiac's in Sask!

~lisa~

Habs,

I'm in MJ and I just hear about old fashioned foods. dw and I will have to check it out one of these days.
Ryan

#12 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:34 PM

Manny's are ok for rolling, but I find them rather thick and coarse.

You can roll filling into a corn tortilla, but I think they taste better cooked.

I work in the field and away from home and corn tortillas are my sandwich bread. They get pretty gross tasting by the end of the week. But Manny's are filling.
Tapioca intolerant
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

#13 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:54 PM

Hey guess what guys? I was in Regina today, went into that smaller Old Fashion Foods when you are just coming into Regina (like, by Victoria Square Mall there somewhere) and they had brown rice tortillas, the 10" ones, they come 6 in a pack.

I only bought 3 and havent ate them yet, but when I do I'll post in here what they are like! Or you guys should just go buy some yourself and post so I know what they are like lol

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#14 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:06 PM

That is not fair. I have not seen brown rice tortillas in Alberta yet. I was so close to the Sask. border, I gues I should have crossed it and gone shopping.
Tapioca intolerant

#15 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:09 PM

I eat Old El Paso hard corn shells.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004