This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Protein Powder Workout Shakes

utdan

utdan Apprentice

Does anyone know of a gluten-free (and hopefully MSG free) protein powder supplement or meal replacement? I called a few manufacturers and they assured me there was no gluten but I still get a little reaction. Getting back into working out I tried so far "Muscle Milk" by CytoSport, and now "IsoPure" by Nature's Best. I realize that ideally I should be cooking up wild salmon or other meat but that's not always convenient. I don't see a problem with whey or soy protein right now but then again I'm new at this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Dan, I am reading a book called 'The whole Soy story', and apparently, soy protein will turn to glutamate (or something like that, I am too lazy right now to go and check). Anyway, if you use soy protein, you get glutamate, that I remember, because I was quite flabberghasted by that.

I've given up finding protein bars. You may want to buy a jerky gun and make yourself some meat jerky, that would be much better for you than any protein bars!

utdan Apprentice

Thank you for your reply Ursula, I appreciate that. For me that is extremely valuable information because a lot of my symptoms are neurological in nature as you can see in my signature. I've been trying to find out where the three killers are "glutamate, cysteine, aspartate" since I read that "Excitotoxins" by Blaylock. I'm sorry to hear that soy is so bad though too. I'll have to get a hold of that book you mentioned.

So I guess whey protein is ok? Robb Wolf mentioned that there is often cross contamination in milk products but he didn't say much about it.

Guest Robb Wolf
Thank you for your reply Ursula, I appreciate that. For me that is extremely valuable information because a lot of my symptoms are neurological in nature as you can see in my signature. I've been trying to find out where the three killers are "glutamate, cysteine, aspartate" since I read that "Excitotoxins" by Blaylock. I'm sorry to hear that soy is so bad though too. I'll have to get a hold of that book you mentioned.

So I guess whey protein is ok? Robb Wolf mentioned that there is often cross contamination in milk products but he didn't say much about it.

Dan-

Celiacs tend to cross react with dairy. Its autoimmune/food sensitivity stuff not lactose intolerance. Most of these things fall under "Frankenfood" IMO. It makes snacking and fast food problematic at times but that is emblematic of our lifestyles: no time to feed ourselves properly. You might try a plain egg white protein from bioplex but it tastes awful! I'd stick with real foods!

tarnalberry Community Regular

protein options:

1. beef jerky, pretty easy to make and keeps for months though it takes prep work (please don't use a jerky gun for this - cut the meat and dry it in your oven, but don't use a gun to "squirt it out", just cut the meat into strips!)
  2. gluten-free protein bars - search the forums for the posts that list a number of them, and there are a number (since I can't have dairy, I tend to go with ruth's flax bars when I want the most protein)
  3. hemp seeds and flax seeds - in yogurt, on salads, in smoothies, etc.
  4. protein powders - go straight powder and add fruit/veggies, instead of buying an "all in one" mix for a healthier, less-chemical ridden, option. since I can't have dairy and minimize soy, I go with either rice protein power (MLO or one at Whole Foods), Peaceful Planet's amaranth/quinoa/millet one, or Hemp Protein powder (expensive, but balanced), other options are pure whey, or soy, or egg (and if you check the ingredients, you shouldn't have much trouble verifying gluten-free status)
  5. hard boiled eggs - they'll stay good in the fridge for 4-5 days, and all you have to do is stick a bunch of eggs in a pot, turn it on, don't let it get quite to boiling (180F is perfect), turn it off, then take the eggs out 30 minutes later), you can cook a dozen at a time!
  6. make extra chicken and kept leftovers around to grab out of the fridge!

winki4 Apprentice
protein options:
  1. beef jerky, pretty easy to make and keeps for months though it takes prep work (please don't use a jerky gun for this - cut the meat and dry it in your oven, but don't use a gun to "squirt it out", just cut the meat into strips!)
  2. gluten-free protein bars - search the forums for the posts that list a number of them, and there are a number (since I can't have dairy, I tend to go with ruth's flax bars when I want the most protein)
  4. protein powders - go straight powder and add fruit/veggies, instead of buying an "all in one" mix for a healthier, less-chemical ridden, option. since I can't have dairy and minimize soy, I go with either rice protein power (MLO or one at Whole Foods), Peaceful Planet's amaranth/quinoa/millet one, or Hemp Protein powder (expensive, but balanced), other options are pure whey, or soy, or egg (and if you check the ingredients, you shouldn't have much trouble verifying gluten-free status)
  5. hard boiled eggs - they'll stay good in the fridge for 4-5 days, and all you have to do is stick a bunch of eggs in a pot, turn it on, don't let it get quite to boiling (180F is perfect), turn it off, then take the eggs out 30 minutes later), you can cook a dozen at a time!

GenSoy Vanilla Protein Powder is yummy & gluten free!

Enjoy

lindalee Enthusiast
protein options:

Tiffany, Would you mind sharing how to make jerky? I'd like to try to make some. Thanks, LindaLee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I've posted the recipe on my recipe thread:

Open Original Shared Link

lindalee Enthusiast
I've posted the recipe on my recipe thread:

Tiffany, whoops, I posted to the other site. Thanks for the recipe and I was wondering if you think it would be good without the liquid smoke. I tried it before and didn't care much for the taste but if you think it makes the jerky, I'll get some more . All the recipes sound great!!! LindaLee

utdan Apprentice

Hey all, thank you for your posts. Sorry I took so long to respond.

protein options:

Thank you Tiffany, that's very helpful:). I'll have to check out those protein bars, and do myself a favor and prepare some stuff to stock the fridge. That detail on the HB eggs is good because I could never cook them to where the shell comes of easily.

Robb,

I can see that I do have a little bit of reaction with milk products which, like you said, is common with celiacs. You're right, I would be wise to cut it out of my diet but I'll probably use it for the time being for convenience and because I just bought some. I admit I'm a bit hessitant to try cooking up meat everyday like I did two years ago (because Albertson's meat is bad too often). Also, I ate some "premium" canned salmon a week ago and I had a huge reaction for 1 1/2 days. Not good. But I guess I'll have to learn to use less milk stuff.

Papa-Hen Rookie

Folks,

RE: Related dairy sensitivity

At my appointment a few weeks ago, doc said the gluten causes the villi to matt down. The digestive actors for dairy are at the tips of the villi, so they are not out where they need to be to do their job.

- Henry

lindalee Enthusiast
Folks,

RE: Related dairy sensitivity

At my appointment a few weeks ago, doc said the gluten causes the villi to matt down. The digestive actors for dairy are at the tips of the villi, so they are not out where they need to be to do their job.

- Henry

So he was saying to stay off dairy until the villi heals?

jerseyangel Proficient

When I was diagnosed, my doctor told me to begin a gluten-free, dairy free diet. (I had already been dairy free for some time, though).

So he was saying to stay off dairy until the villi heals?

The reason is that lactase, the enzyme that breaks down the lactose milk sugar, is produced at the tips of the villi. When the villi are damaged, they cannot produce lactase. Once they have regenerated, they can produce the enzyme again. So, yes, once you heal, if you produce enough lactase naturally, you can go back on dairy, if you're not also casein intolerant.

taz sharratt Enthusiast
The reason is that lactase, the enzyme that breaks down the lactose milk sugar, is produced at the tips of the villi. When the villi are damaged, they cannot produce lactase. Once they have regenerated, they can produce the enzyme again. So, yes, once you heal, if you produce enough lactase naturally, you can go back on dairy, if you're not also casein intolerant.

my specailist told me the same thing, im lactose intolerant too so hopefully it wont be too long before i can have mik again.

Guest Robb Wolf

Its not just the lactose. We grain feed our dairy herds and this concentrates many of the lectins found in corn, rice and wheat into the dairy. Many, many celiacs continue to express abnormal villi when on a seemingly gluten free diet because of items like protien powders, yogurt, keifer etc. If you can find a grassfed dairy source this coudl be a viable alternative but it is exceptionaly hard to find. Please not that "organic" dairy is NOT grassfed! They are simply feeding these cows organic grains. Here is a link to a newsletter from Prof. Loren Cordain that explains the role of lectins in autoimmunity and the EGF recoptor:

I know these are staple, convenient tasty foods but if you are still not feeling as good as you would like I'd really use some caution with how you incorperate them into your diet. Even Quinoa, which is botanicaly not even a grain, has a protien fraction that can be an irritant in celiacs:

lindalee Enthusiast
Hey all, thank you for your posts. Sorry I took so long to respond.

Thank you Tiffany, that's very helpful:). I'll have to check out those protein bars, and do myself a favor and prepare some stuff to stock the fridge. That detail on the HB eggs is good because I could never cook them to where the shell comes of easily.

Robb,

I can see that I do have a little bit of reaction with milk products which, like you said, is common with celiacs. You're right, I would be wise to cut it out of my diet but I'll probably use it for the time being for convenience and because I just bought some. I admit I'm a bit hessitant to try cooking up meat everyday like I did two years ago (because Albertson's meat is bad too often). Also, I ate some "premium" canned salmon a week ago and I had a huge reaction for 1 1/2 days. Not good. But I guess I'll have to learn to use less milk stuff.

The premium salmon wasn't Kirkland was it? LLee

eh... hardboiled egg shells never come off that easily. I find it a bit easier when they're properly cooled, and I take some time, then rinse them under water to get the little bits off. it's an inexact science, and usually not always pretty, but it gets even less pretty once I pop them in my mouth! ;-)

utdan Apprentice
Its not just the lactose. We grain feed our dairy herds and this concentrates many of the lectins found in corn, rice and wheat into the dairy. Many, many celiacs continue to express abnormal villi when on a seemingly gluten free diet because of items like protien powders, yogurt, keifer etc. If you can find a grassfed dairy source this coudl be a viable alternative but it is exceptionaly hard to find. Please not that "organic" dairy is NOT grassfed! They are simply feeding these cows organic grains. Here is a link to a newsletter from Prof. Loren Cordain that explains the role of lectins in autoimmunity and the EGF recoptor:

I know these are staple, convenient tasty foods but if you are still not feeling as good as you would like I'd really use some caution with how you incorperate them into your diet. Even Quinoa, which is botanicaly not even a grain, has a protien fraction that can be an irritant in celiacs:

Thanks again Robb, I read the article where it talked about lectins. Lately, I've been so focused on avoiding glutamic acid that I forgot about the lectins. Do know if the lectins can damage the BBB or spinal column?

I just read the amino acid profile of milk (I'm not sure denatured or raw) but the main aa was glutamic acid! ARGHH! Is there a protein source that doesn't have glutamate (or what is the one with the least)? I've googled amino acid profiles for eggs, fish, but can't find good info.

I'll try to find a source for grass fed cow milk. I think I came across one yesterday in fact, but it was a powder supplement. Eating cheese (Mozzarella by Precious) gets me fairly bad reactions. Is this because cheese is basically concentrated milk protein with the above amino acids and/or lectins?

Another thing, I read that produce farmers now spray a growth enhancer called Auxigro on "ORGANIC" produce and contains 30% MSG.

Is there no way to avoid glutamic acid?

The premium salmon wasn't Kirkland was it? LLee

I used up the can and threw it out so I can't tell you for sure who made it, but if I had to guess, it was probably "Bumble Bee".

Archived