- - - - -

Protein Powder Workout Shakes

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Robb Wolf_*

Guest_Robb Wolf_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:40 AM

Its not just the lactose. We grain feed our dairy herds and this concentrates many of the lectins found in corn, rice and wheat into the dairy. Many, many celiacs continue to express abnormal villi when on a seemingly gluten free diet because of items like protien powders, yogurt, keifer etc. If you can find a grassfed dairy source this coudl be a viable alternative but it is exceptionaly hard to find. Please not that "organic" dairy is NOT grassfed! They are simply feeding these cows organic grains. Here is a link to a newsletter from Prof. Loren Cordain that explains the role of lectins in autoimmunity and the EGF recoptor:
http://www.thepaleod...rVol2Issue1.pdf

I know these are staple, convenient tasty foods but if you are still not feeling as good as you would like I'd really use some caution with how you incorperate them into your diet. Even Quinoa, which is botanicaly not even a grain, has a protien fraction that can be an irritant in celiacs:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lindalee

lindalee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

Hey all, thank you for your posts. Sorry I took so long to respond.
Thank you Tiffany, that's very helpful:). I'll have to check out those protein bars, and do myself a favor and prepare some stuff to stock the fridge. That detail on the HB eggs is good because I could never cook them to where the shell comes of easily.
Robb,

I can see that I do have a little bit of reaction with milk products which, like you said, is common with celiacs. You're right, I would be wise to cut it out of my diet but I'll probably use it for the time being for convenience and because I just bought some. I admit I'm a bit hessitant to try cooking up meat everyday like I did two years ago (because Albertson's meat is bad too often). Also, I ate some "premium" canned salmon a week ago and I had a huge reaction for 1 1/2 days. Not good. But I guess I'll have to learn to use less milk stuff.

The premium salmon wasn't Kirkland was it? LLee
Lee

#18 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:17 AM

eh... hardboiled egg shells never come off that easily. I find it a bit easier when they're properly cooled, and I take some time, then rinse them under water to get the little bits off. it's an inexact science, and usually not always pretty, but it gets even less pretty once I pop them in my mouth! ;-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#19 utdan

utdan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:32 PM

Its not just the lactose. We grain feed our dairy herds and this concentrates many of the lectins found in corn, rice and wheat into the dairy. Many, many celiacs continue to express abnormal villi when on a seemingly gluten free diet because of items like protien powders, yogurt, keifer etc. If you can find a grassfed dairy source this coudl be a viable alternative but it is exceptionaly hard to find. Please not that "organic" dairy is NOT grassfed! They are simply feeding these cows organic grains. Here is a link to a newsletter from Prof. Loren Cordain that explains the role of lectins in autoimmunity and the EGF recoptor:
http://www.thepaleod...rVol2Issue1.pdf

I know these are staple, convenient tasty foods but if you are still not feeling as good as you would like I'd really use some caution with how you incorperate them into your diet. Even Quinoa, which is botanicaly not even a grain, has a protien fraction that can be an irritant in celiacs:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

Thanks again Robb, I read the article where it talked about lectins. Lately, I've been so focused on avoiding glutamic acid that I forgot about the lectins. Do know if the lectins can damage the BBB or spinal column?

I just read the amino acid profile of milk (I'm not sure denatured or raw) but the main aa was glutamic acid! ARGHH! Is there a protein source that doesn't have glutamate (or what is the one with the least)? I've googled amino acid profiles for eggs, fish, but can't find good info.

I'll try to find a source for grass fed cow milk. I think I came across one yesterday in fact, but it was a powder supplement. Eating cheese (Mozzarella by Precious) gets me fairly bad reactions. Is this because cheese is basically concentrated milk protein with the above amino acids and/or lectins?

Another thing, I read that produce farmers now spray a growth enhancer called Auxigro on "ORGANIC" produce and contains 30% MSG.

http://truthinlabeli...storyOfUse.html

Is there no way to avoid glutamic acid?

The premium salmon wasn't Kirkland was it? LLee

I used up the can and threw it out so I can't tell you for sure who made it, but if I had to guess, it was probably "Bumble Bee".
Dan

Negative blood work
gluten-free since 3/5/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: