17 replies to this topic

#1 emcmaster

emcmaster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:01 PM

Does anyone else have problems digesting fat? Since Jan. 2005, I've found that, as a general rule-of-thumb, the amount of calories from fat in my diet cannot make up more than 20% of my total daily calories.

Lately I've been able to eat more fat and not have problems. Did any of you have problems digesting fat when you first went gluten-free and have it go away after awhile? How long did that take?

Thanks! :D
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

Depends on the kind of fat. Fried foods do not sit well with my digestive system. Nuts, avocados, and unrefined oils not exposed to very high heat, however, I'm fine with.

As always, listening to your body is a good thing. :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 schuyler

schuyler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:43 PM

Depends on the kind of fat. Fried foods do not sit well with my digestive system. Nuts, avocados, and unrefined oils not exposed to very high heat, however, I'm fine with.

As always, listening to your body is a good thing. :-)

Same for me (except nuts; my body hates those!).
Danielle

Diagnosed with Celiac 1/3/06 at age 20

Also dairy free and soy light

Guardian to 3 boys, ages 4, 3, and 2 who are gluten-free, df, corn free, and soy light

#4 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:38 PM

I have trouble with all fats. If I eat anything high in fats I get really bulky loose stools. If I use oils on my salad later when I have a bm there will be a noticeable oil slick in the water. I dont eat any fried foods or anything like that and I cant eat nuts. Its basically avocadoes, oils, some meats (if there is any grease) and coconut butter that do this to me. I'm assuming this is malabsorption of fats? :unsure:
What can cause this? I've been gluten-free a long time now.
Rachel

#5 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

I can eat saturated fats and oils that are incorporated into something else - fried is ok, generally. A teaspoon of olive oil by itself will give me diarrhea in a hurry.
Nothing

#6 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:44 PM

Interesting to see that some of you are still having problems after being gluten-free for a long time.

I had 2 T. of peanut butter on saturday (split into two servings) and was bloated up like a balloon yesterday. Wish I could eat more fat. :(
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

#7 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

I always heard that trouble digesting fats can be a sign of gallbladder problems. You guys might want to bring it up with your doctors to see if that's an issue.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#8 Starfish

Starfish

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:20 AM

I also have a problem with fats and my gallbladder is fine. If I have more than a couple of teaspoons of margarine I suffer and can tolerate no oils at all and all nuts are out for me too.
Gluten free since Jan 2000
Gene test May '06
DQ8 and DQA1*05 (without DQB1*02)
MTHFR C677T gene mutation (hyperhomocysteinemia)
Lots of food intolerances.
Unable to eat Salycilates (fruit and veg)
Lactose intolerant
Stuck on basic rations.

#9 indyceliac

indyceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:52 AM

Interesting to see that some of you are still having problems after being gluten-free for a long time.

I had 2 T. of peanut butter on saturday (split into two servings) and was bloated up like a balloon yesterday. Wish I could eat more fat. :(

Make sure u arent getting cross-contaminated from the peanut butter! That was happening to me for awhile..

just a thought

#10 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:02 AM

I am similar to Tiffany - I keep all meat fats down to a minimum, except for lard and baking, which I don't do a lot of, because my system doesn't handle it well. But olive oil and avacados don't bother me. My gall bladder is fine.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#11 sspitzer5

sspitzer5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:48 AM

I seem to have problems with olive oil too. Fried foods seem ok though. I was thinking that I might have an intolerance to olives but my doc didn't think so. She said that fats are more complex to digest, so maybe my intestines are still damaged and can't break it down???

#12 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

Make sure u arent getting cross-contaminated from the peanut butter! That was happening to me for awhile..

just a thought

Also, you might want to rule out a peanut/legume allergy.

Just another thought.

#13 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:04 AM

I've had trouble with fats for a long time too. At it's worst, I would burp up any fat that I had just eaten. Like the butter on popcorn. I don't throw up, it just hangs in my throat and keeps coming back up on me. It was that way with all fats though, not just butter. Sorry, TMI :(

I'm digesting all the healthy fats easily at this time. EVOO, flax oil, borage oil, avocados, nuts, seeds, etc. I had to add each one slowly though.

I'm thinking something happens to fat when it is heated that my body just can't handle.

BTW, I think the oils are helping me with my constipation too :D
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)
August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...
July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)
Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)
September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

#14 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:18 AM

I have trouble with all fats. If I eat anything high in fats I get really bulky loose stools. If I use oils on my salad later when I have a bm there will be a noticeable oil slick in the water. I dont eat any fried foods or anything like that and I cant eat nuts. Its basically avocadoes, oils, some meats (if there is any grease) and coconut butter that do this to me. I'm assuming this is malabsorption of fats? :unsure:
What can cause this? I've been gluten-free a long time now.

When I did a stool analysis some years ago the results showed fat malabsorption for me.

I found this info about it:

Some causes of Malabsorption-

Acutely abnormal intestinal lining due to an acute intestinal infection, overuse of antibiotics, alcohol
Abnormal intestine lining present in Crohns and Celiac
Unbalanced flora, bacterial overgrowth, parasites
Inadequate gastric mixing due to the presence of a fistula
Impaired transport of enzymes

Fat Malabsorption indicators include large volume stool and weight loss, fat globules are present in stool with microscopic examination (stool analysis).

With fat malabsorption the stools are greasy, soft but not liquid, foul smelling and bulky. Growth failure is a dominant feature, because the intestinal loss of high-energy fat nutrients (9 kcal/g of fat) leads to a profound deficiency in the total calories absorbed daily.

#15 deezer

deezer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

Posters in this thread: How are you doing? Did you find anything to help your fat absorption issues? Have you tried enzymes?

We have some new research: 1 out of 3 Celiacs in a small-scale study had pancreatic insufficiency and improved with enzymes - eventually not even needing the enzymes any more

http://www.pharmaceu...ufficiency.html

Here's one more: "We conclude that a mild/moderate pancreatic insufficiency is quite frequent in celiacs, but that it may be completely independent of nutritional status"

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7924748
For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: