5 replies to this topic

#1 briankatie

briankatie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:05 AM

Does anyone with this disease, suffering from High Cholesterol? If so, what are you doing for it?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 07:26 AM

My cholesterol was just over the border: 187 ldl, 37 hdl. I was on Lipitor, which brought it down nicely, but I had an adverse reaction to the drug. Now, I use 1 tsp ground flax mixed into something I eat each day, garlic, cod liver oil capsules (omega-3 stuff), and exercise. I will find out in December if it helps. These are all supposed to be great natural cholesterol-busters. I have also learned that the natural things I use have more than one function: flax is a great fiber, garlic strengthens the heart, and cod liver oil coats the ends of osteoarthritic joints to lessen the grinding.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:41 AM

I have slightly high cholesterol....and I'm only 13!!!! And I play lots of sports, love to run, and am constantly active. I'm doing nothing about it, cause it must not have been too bad; my doctor didn't bring it up or tell me to do anything about it....

-celiac3270

#4 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2004 - 09:02 AM

I too have high cholesterol, once it was at 253, then down to 224, 214 now it's at 200. My Endo doc is not worried about it as much now since I lost 40lbs and not overweight anymore. I think it has more to do with me being hypothyroid.

#5 briankatie

briankatie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the comments. Since 1997 my overall level has gone from 127 to 212. I am blame it on the gluten-free Food. It is high in Fat, Cholesterol and Carbs. I am very active and just dont get. I am going to do research and will let you know anything I find out.

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:41 AM

I went from 130 to 210, but I also gained a lot of weright. Since losing most of it I'm now at 180.

Many people with untreated celiac have abnormally low cholesterol (like 127). The cholesterol rises when you go gluten-free because you suddenly strart absorbing all that stuff that raises cholesterol. Some people can change diet and take natural things that lower the cholesterol, which of course is what you should try first, but some people just have the genes for high cholesterol and have to take medication. Taking the medication is a whole lot better than having high cholesterol.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: