Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

White Bumps On Tounge.....tastebuds That Hurt!

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#1 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:00 PM

I'm sure that I can not be the ONLY person that gets these things. It is like an out of control taste bud. It swells up and turns white/clear and HURTS like crazy! Anyone know what causes these? Mineral defiency/food allergy/dehydration/crazyness :lol: ? Any ideas.....thoughts....anybody share the pain?

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 marciab

marciab

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:04 PM

I get these from time to time too, but I have never figured out why. At one point I thought it was from walnuts, but I eat those all the time now and so far so good. And I thought they were from eating too much citrus, but I haven't retested that one.

But, they do hurt. I used orajel in the past and tried to leave it alone until it healed. Usually only takes a couple of days. But, I'm not sure if orajel is gluten free. I'm not that savy yet. :)

Marcia
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)
August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...
July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)
Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)
September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

#3 Deej

Deej

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

Hmmmm. This happens to me too. I have no idea why. It hurst, doesn't it? :(

#4 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

It is probably an infected taste bud. I have gotten them from time to time too. I usually make sure to rinse with Listerine a few extra times a day to help speed healing.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#5 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hmmmm. This happens to me too. I have no idea why. It hurst, doesn't it? :(

Yep lol and when you have one of those little buggers it sure seems to be the ONLY thing you can concentrate on. It rubs on your teeth, rubs on your lips....rubs everywhere to make it sting! Geesh lol

I did find a little info on them...they are sometimes called "lie bumps" supposedly mom's used to tell their kids that if they lied...then that is what the result would be...... :lol:

Here are a couple of links of info....the people there didn't really come to any conclusion, but presented some interesting info.

http://answers.googl...dview?id=486799

http://www.netwellne...n.cfm/33493.htm

Jessica
Kansas

#6 Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:33 PM

I get them sometimes as well.. don't know if I really used to get them before going gluten free (too many things/symptoms to try and recall), but I want to say that I occasionally did.. I certainly have been getting them in the past month or 2 though... more frequently than I ever remember getting them

I didn't think of connecting them to food until I saw something in a post here (I think it was the long corn post by Rachel)... I looked them up on the net a couple weeks ago, and it seems that any one of a number of things could cause them (food related or not)... don't know if mine is a food trigger (I'm thinking maybe something acidic like tomato sauce but I don't know)..
- Charlie

- gluten free since January, 2006

- multiple food intolerances temporarily from leaky gut and candida

- positive test for lyme disease - April, 2007

#7 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:12 PM

Do you mean kanker sores?
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#8 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:16 PM

Do you mean kanker sores?

nope.....taste buds that are swollen up and turn white/clear. Canker sores are different.

Jessica
Kansas

#9 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

nope.....taste buds that are swollen up and turn white/clear. Canker sores are different.

Just checking. I think I've had what you are talking about.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#10 evie

evie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:02 PM

[color=#3366FF]

I'm sure that I can not be the ONLY person that gets these things. It is like an out of control taste bud. It swells up and turns white/clear and HURTS like crazy! Anyone know what causes these? Mineral defiency/food allergy/dehydration/crazyness :lol: ? Any ideas.....thoughts....anybody share the pain?

I have had those for 7 or 8 years, better now. first was diagnosed/ lichen planus by dental surgeon, then to dermatologist / diagnosis of citricidal pemphigoid, he sent the swab to Mayo clinic. Dapsone has kept me more comfortable for several years, after going gluten free for almost 6 months & cutting out several foods I have been able to cut down the dosage considerably but still have to get liver panel evry few months. will see him wed. and will probably need to get tested then. Maybe he will order my thyroid test too, time for that again. No, I will get that order from my reg. Dr & get it all done @ same time!! so from my reading this could have been a warning for gluten intolernce (mouth sores is one of the symptoms) but I did not know it
and no one told me (none of my many Dr's, too many). Did none of you/ mouth sores (tongue, gum & cheeks not have these before gluten problems? :( <_< evie

#11 Lister

Lister

Sidewalks are for skating

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

i get it also, but they dont swell very big but they get really red, infact right now half my toung, is partialy white with bright red bumps, i would try some oraljel on it, it works good on canker sores probably would work good on those

#12 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:18 PM

Have you called your toothpaste and mouthwash companies to find out if their products contain gluten, corn soy or anything you know you are intolerant of?

I was shocked the other day to find out that Arm & Hammer Baking Soda toothpaste has gluten in it.

#13 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:44 PM

I used to get these all the time, but I haven't had any in years, since long before going gluten-free. The only thing I can think is that maybe brushing with peroxide and baking soda has had something to do with it.

When I first started doing it, my method was to dip the brush in a 50:50 peroxide:water mix, flick off the excess, then touch it to dry baking soda. Some time ago I switched to making a paste of coconut oil mashed with as much baking soda as it will hold instead of using dry baking soda.

This is highly economical, but the taste takes a little getting used to if you are used to the taste of toothpaste.
Nothing

#14 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:26 AM

I've gotten those from time to time to. ...In my case, usually when I was eating a lot of candy or sweets. Mouth washes have helped speed healing, reduce pain.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#15 indyceliac

indyceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:04 AM

I get these all the time. For me, too many sweets or spicy foods can cause it. I heard dipping a q-tip in witch hazel and dotting it on the swollen taste bud can help. Also, I've heard b-12 deficiency can make u more susceptible..not sure if its true or not.

BTW, I also get weird bumps at the back of my tongue, on the sides..especially if im coming down with a virus or if ive eaten something irritating...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: