This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

White Bumps On Tounge.....tastebuds That Hurt!

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I'm sure that I can not be the ONLY person that gets these things. It is like an out of control taste bud. It swells up and turns white/clear and HURTS like crazy! Anyone know what causes these? Mineral defiency/food allergy/dehydration/crazyness :lol: ? Any ideas.....thoughts....anybody share the pain?

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

I get these from time to time too, but I have never figured out why. At one point I thought it was from walnuts, but I eat those all the time now and so far so good. And I thought they were from eating too much citrus, but I haven't retested that one.

But, they do hurt. I used orajel in the past and tried to leave it alone until it healed. Usually only takes a couple of days. But, I'm not sure if orajel is gluten free. I'm not that savy yet. :)

Marcia

Deej Newbie

Hmmmm. This happens to me too. I have no idea why. It hurst, doesn't it? :(

wolfie Enthusiast

It is probably an infected taste bud. I have gotten them from time to time too. I usually make sure to rinse with Listerine a few extra times a day to help speed healing.

Hmmmm. This happens to me too. I have no idea why. It hurst, doesn't it? :(

Yep lol and when you have one of those little buggers it sure seems to be the ONLY thing you can concentrate on. It rubs on your teeth, rubs on your lips....rubs everywhere to make it sting! Geesh lol

I did find a little info on them...they are sometimes called "lie bumps" supposedly mom's used to tell their kids that if they lied...then that is what the result would be...... :lol:

Here are a couple of links of info....the people there didn't really come to any conclusion, but presented some interesting info.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

I get them sometimes as well.. don't know if I really used to get them before going gluten free (too many things/symptoms to try and recall), but I want to say that I occasionally did.. I certainly have been getting them in the past month or 2 though... more frequently than I ever remember getting them

I didn't think of connecting them to food until I saw something in a post here (I think it was the long corn post by Rachel)... I looked them up on the net a couple weeks ago, and it seems that any one of a number of things could cause them (food related or not)... don't know if mine is a food trigger (I'm thinking maybe something acidic like tomato sauce but I don't know)..

Felidae Enthusiast

Do you mean kanker sores?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Do you mean kanker sores?

nope.....taste buds that are swollen up and turn white/clear. Canker sores are different.

Felidae Enthusiast
nope.....taste buds that are swollen up and turn white/clear. Canker sores are different.

Just checking. I think I've had what you are talking about.

evie Rookie

I'm sure that I can not be the ONLY person that gets these things. It is like an out of control taste bud. It swells up and turns white/clear and HURTS like crazy! Anyone know what causes these? Mineral defiency/food allergy/dehydration/crazyness :lol: ? Any ideas.....thoughts....anybody share the pain?

I have had those for 7 or 8 years, better now. first was diagnosed/ lichen planus by dental surgeon, then to dermatologist / diagnosis of citricidal pemphigoid, he sent the swab to Mayo clinic. Dapsone has kept me more comfortable for several years, after going gluten free for almost 6 months & cutting out several foods I have been able to cut down the dosage considerably but still have to get liver panel evry few months. will see him wed. and will probably need to get tested then. Maybe he will order my thyroid test too, time for that again. No, I will get that order from my reg. Dr & get it all done @ same time!! so from my reading this could have been a warning for gluten intolernce (mouth sores is one of the symptoms) but I did not know it

and no one told me (none of my many Dr's, too many). Did none of you/ mouth sores (tongue, gum & cheeks not have these before gluten problems? :(<_< evie

Lister Rising Star

i get it also, but they dont swell very big but they get really red, infact right now half my toung, is partialy white with bright red bumps, i would try some oraljel on it, it works good on canker sores probably would work good on those

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Have you called your toothpaste and mouthwash companies to find out if their products contain gluten, corn soy or anything you know you are intolerant of?

I was shocked the other day to find out that Arm & Hammer Baking Soda toothpaste has gluten in it.

eKatherine Rookie

I used to get these all the time, but I haven't had any in years, since long before going gluten-free. The only thing I can think is that maybe brushing with peroxide and baking soda has had something to do with it.

When I first started doing it, my method was to dip the brush in a 50:50 peroxide:water mix, flick off the excess, then touch it to dry baking soda. Some time ago I switched to making a paste of coconut oil mashed with as much baking soda as it will hold instead of using dry baking soda.

This is highly economical, but the taste takes a little getting used to if you are used to the taste of toothpaste.

jenvan Collaborator

I've gotten those from time to time to. ...In my case, usually when I was eating a lot of candy or sweets. Mouth washes have helped speed healing, reduce pain.

indyceliac Newbie

I get these all the time. For me, too many sweets or spicy foods can cause it. I heard dipping a q-tip in witch hazel and dotting it on the swollen taste bud can help. Also, I've heard b-12 deficiency can make u more susceptible..not sure if its true or not.

BTW, I also get weird bumps at the back of my tongue, on the sides..especially if im coming down with a virus or if ive eaten something irritating...

loraleena Contributor

I have been getting that for the past few weeks on and off and never with the same foods. Sometimes it happens when I haven't eaten. Mine itch! They are on the middle to back of my tongue.

phakephur Apprentice

Are you sure these are not caused by hidden gluten? The word sprue (as in celiac sprue) comes from a Dutch word for mouth sore. I had an episode of swollen tastebuds for weeks before I cut out the gluten. They were so painful I ended up cutting some of them off with a razor blade. Yeah, that hurt a lot too, but once the bumps were gone my tongue felt so much better.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I have had them but came to the conclusion that it had something to do with a vitamin deficiency. I would take my vitamins and then it would clear up.

covsooze Enthusiast

I used to get them loads before going gluten-free. I get a lot less now, and no mouth ulcers either. For me, cutting out tomatoes was a big key, and I use a toothpaste which doesn't contain sodium laurel sulfate, which is supposed to irritate the lining of the mouth. I also get them if I eat loads of sweet stuff.

• 1 month later...
azmom3 Contributor
I've gotten those from time to time to. ...In my case, usually when I was eating a lot of candy or sweets. Mouth washes have helped speed healing, reduce pain.

Does it feel like the whole front part of your tongue was burnt a little? I never attributed it to anything in particular, but it happens often. I can feel the bumps raised and it's kindof a stingy, burning feeling. I also have gottent he ones on the sides of my tongue way in the back that usually seems to precede a sore throat, but not always.

Archived