27 replies to this topic

#1 AshleyE

AshleyE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:56 PM

I'm not officially diagnosed DH, but recently I've had the little pin-prick blisters that itch like crazy. Mine don't seem to pop, but they are definitely fluid filled. They were only on the underside of my right wrist, until today. A few days ago my cat got in a fight and I had to give her a bath, which resulted in me getting scrathes all over my right arm. I put band-aids over the scratches and now it seems like the bllisters are where the band-aids were. Has anybody else had this problem? Could there be gluten in the adhesive? I went through all my toiletries and made sure they are all gluten free, so I don't think that's the problem. I did eat some toast that was toasted in the same toaster as wheat bread, so I suppose that could be it.
Gluten free since 6/1/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

I don't think it's gluten. I have the same reaction, and it is just a common reaction to the adhesive. Next time you have scratches, try just smearing some antibiotic ointment on them and leaving them uncovered. That is how I treat my cat scratches after bathtime!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:18 PM

My Mom has reactions to some brands.

#4 AshleyE

AshleyE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:33 PM

I don't think it's gluten. I have the same reaction, and it is just a common reaction to the adhesive. Next time you have scratches, try just smearing some antibiotic ointment on them and leaving them uncovered. That is how I treat my cat scratches after bathtime!

The main reason I think it might be gluten is because I had a few of them in the same area before using the bandaids, but now they are all over.
Gluten free since 6/1/06

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:43 PM

There are some 'band-aids' that have adhesive I react to. The reaction can spread somewhat past the initial site, though usually not to, for instance, the other hand. I have never heard of a adhesive bandage with gluten, however. Could the wound have gotten infected?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:06 PM

Band aids give me crazy rashes, turns my skin bright red and itchy as all hell. When I need something, I use gauze and sterile surgical tape. Looks crazy, but my skin doesn't react. Grrr bandaids.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#7 MtLady

MtLady

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:14 PM

How amazing!! Some of you are allergic to bandaids also!!! My last surgery was a nightmare because some of the tape wounds were worse than the incision.. amazing!!! I keep reading your posts and finding the very things that have caused me so much grief over the years.. MtLady

#8 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

Wow...I never heard of this.
Mostly I cant believe there's actually something I dont react to! :blink:
Rachel

#9 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

Wow...I never heard of this.
Mostly I cant believe there's actually something I dont react to! :blink:

Just so you don't get any ideas! :P

#10 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:54 PM

I have awful reactions to bandaids and most skin tapes as well, which take sometimes YEARS to heal!

When I had my hysterectomy five years ago, things went very wrong (my bladder tore badly, due to being very stuck to the uterus because of three c-sections), and the surgery went from 45 minutes to three hours. Even though I had told them (the surgeon, the nurses and the anesthetist) that I was allergic to regular tape, and they could use nothing other than paper tape, they must have used regular tape after all. Because for four years I had ugly rashes in the shape of tape (perfectly rectangular with clear boundaries) above both eyebrows!

They were red, sometimes fluid filled, sometimes scaly looking, very itchy and finally went away AFTER going gluten-free last fall!

My theory is, that even though DH is caused by deposits under the skin caused by gluten, it can be triggered by things other than gluten through aggravating the skin (even by some other allergy or intolerance). Who knows.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#11 AshleyE

AshleyE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:42 PM

I have awful reactions to bandaids and most skin tapes as well, which take sometimes YEARS to heal!

When I had my hysterectomy five years ago, things went very wrong (my bladder tore badly, due to being very stuck to the uterus because of three c-sections), and the surgery went from 45 minutes to three hours. Even though I had told them (the surgeon, the nurses and the anesthetist) that I was allergic to regular tape, and they could use nothing other than paper tape, they must have used regular tape after all. Because for four years I had ugly rashes in the shape of tape (perfectly rectangular with clear boundaries) above both eyebrows!

They were red, sometimes fluid filled, sometimes scaly looking, very itchy and finally went away AFTER going gluten-free last fall!

My theory is, that even though DH is caused by deposits under the skin caused by gluten, it can be triggered by things other than gluten through aggravating the skin (even by some other allergy or intolerance). Who knows.

Wow, that sounds awful. I'm glad they finally healed when you went gluten-free.

I'm so surprised at how many people have had reactions. Thank you all for your input, it's so helpful in figuring out what is normal and what I should be more concerned about. The more I learn about celiac disease, the more surprised I am that my doctors have never once mentioned it in the ten years that I've been having serious problems.
Gluten free since 6/1/06

#12 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:47 AM

I used so many bandaids during my speedskating days that I can only use one for a day, and then I need to remove it and clean off the glue.
Nothing

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:33 AM

When I use a band aid, the exact mark of the whole strip is visable on my skin for several days after I remove it! I don't have any itching or discomfort, though.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#14 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:52 AM

When I use a band aid, the exact mark of the whole strip is visable on my skin for several days after I remove it! I don't have any itching or discomfort, though.

I got a skin tag removed a couple weeks ago and the band aid the nurse put on the open wound to send me home with I was fine with, no reaction. But the band aids I had at home to freshly dress the wound I reacted to badly. It made me rash all around the perimeter of the band aid. My guess is it had to be some different ingredient/material between the brands.

#15 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:24 PM

Whenever I take a band-aid off you can see the exact layout on my arm for a day or so. I'm always asked if I have a latex allergy (which it's not) but the adhesive clearly bothers me.
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: