29 replies to this topic

#16 Lymetoo

Lymetoo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hmmm, guess I'd better check mine for gluten-free. I've taken probiotics for 6 yrs and never found one that helped my C.....Maybe the celiac diet will help out!!

Negative biopsy for celiac 1980
Fibromyalgia 1980
IBS 1980
Interstitial Cystitis 1992
Systemic yeast
Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000
Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000
Tachycardia 2001
Asthma 2005
Have had Lyme and babesia for
about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06
Native TEXAN living in Missouri

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Dale

Dale

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:08 AM

Hi, I have been on a tea for a laxative called Smooth Move, it has senna leaf,proprietary Blend,Licorice root Bitter fennel fruit Rganic sweet orange peel,Organic cinnamon bark, organic coriander seed,organic ginger rhizome,orange peel oil on gum arabic. I am 54 now, Have lupus, My mom told me when i was small I had celiac, But as I grew, I have not had any symptoms or loose bowel movements.
Is this product safe to take??? I am constipated.
And I am now on a Gluten free diet.
Let me know.....
Blessings
Dale

#18 LKelly8

LKelly8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:33 AM

Hi Dale and welcome! :)

I found this on the Traditional Medicinals website. . .

Do any of your products contain gluten?
Celiac patients are advised to avoid food ingredients containing gluten and/or its derivatives (e.g. gliadin). Certain grains such as barley, oat, rye and wheat contain proteins that are composed of prolamins and/or glutelins. None of Traditional Medicinals products contain any wheat or rye, or their derivatives. The following two Traditional Medicinals products contain barley grain or oatstraw and therefore the tea infusion prepared from them may contain a small amount of naturally occurring gliadin or gluten:
• PMS Tea®
• St. John's Good Mood®

#19 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:38 AM

Can I suggest the good old fashioned lots of fruits?
Figs and prunes are pretty efficient....

In a real emergency a massage with blackpepper oil is prety much guaranteed.. but it will clean you out completely..
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#20 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:01 AM

I'm chronically constipated, which gets even worse when I'm glutened, and I take magnesium supplements every day. You may have to play around with how much you need to take, but they do help a lot.

Also, I take a prescription called Zelnorm, which helps to speed up the contractions of your colon to help you to go. I only take it probably 4 or 5 nights a week or else I get too loose of stools, but it helps tremendously.
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

#21 Dale

Dale

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:42 AM

Thanks lKelly, The tea seems to be acceptable. Although I will start taking magnesium.
We are going out to eat tonight, Chinese, Where they have a GLUTEN free menue.
Blessings
Dale

#22 hineini

hineini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

I too have the problem of having had explosive D but now being plagued by C since becoming gluten-free!

My solutions:

-Another vote for the Smooth Moove Tea from Traditional Medicinals. I brew it strongly - I leave it to steep for at least 15 minutes with a lid over the cup. Drink it before bed, and I will almost always have a nice soft BM in the morning!

-Prunes! they are tasty in addition to helpful for constipation.

-Flaxseed meal, I sprinkle it on my almond butter and jelly sandwich in the morning, on my salads, in the pancake batter.

-Colace. It's an over the counter stool softener, it is non-addictive and I think it's gluten-free and it's quite effective without tummy cramping or nausea (which I get from Dulcolax)

I haven't found fiber supplementation to be very helpful, but I have found eating a high-fiber diet to be great. Also, if you can tolerate (non-contaminated) oatmeal that helps me stay regular quite a lot.
*Gluten free since 7/06
*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

#23 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:08 AM

I found that going gluten free was not the answer to my C but that going gluten and dairy free was.

While I was C I tried Metamucil but found it was like swallowing broken glass, I had an incredible feeling of irritation in the stomach lining and colon. I also used an herbal laxitive tea which worked but then I would just get C again.

I've never tried Magnesium, are you referring to the stuff in the blue bottle? Milk of Magnesia?
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#24 munchkinette

munchkinette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:39 AM

I too have the problem of having had explosive D but now being plagued by C since becoming gluten-free!
-Colace. It's an over the counter stool softener, it is non-addictive and I think it's gluten-free and it's quite effective without tummy cramping or nausea (which I get from Dulcolax)

Yep, I take Colace every day with my iron (which would otherwise cause major C). My doctor said I could take it every day. Becareful not to get Pericolace or whatever the other type is called. That has additional stimulants.
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

#25 sillyyak

sillyyak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:32 AM

Colace works for me. 2-3 about 1/2 hour after dinner time.
Diagnosed 11-11-05 after 3 months of major symptoms, including 2 hospitalizations and 7 ER visits for dehydration and syncope. Otherwise, I had all "normal" blood tests and major scans. During those 3 months, lost 20 pounds, all my muscle tone, and ultimately could not walk for 2 days. Spent 6 days during the second hospitalization hooked up to IV and STILL passing out IN BED due to malnutrition with doctors staring at me AS IF it was all IN MY HEAD

Other related symptoms:
Osteopenia
Hypothyroidism
Gluten Ataxia - three "nodes" recently found in my brain (thought I had MS)
Muscle weakness
Fatigue
Chronic Constipation
45 pound weight gain since going gluten-free!

gluten-free since 11-11-05. Cannot eat bananas, potatoes, or spinach. Recently reintroduced yogurt into my diet and able to tolerate plain yogurt with sugar.

HATE the diet but psychologically tolerating it for my health.

#26 Katie O'Rourke

Katie O'Rourke

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:41 AM

hiya. just wanted to add the best easy/natural treatments are figs, prunes and the best cure - 2 glasses of apple juice a day. just in case things go the other way, cinnamon is a good cure for diarrheoa. hope that helps x x :)

#27 Guest_adamssa_*

Guest_adamssa_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

Hey,
I had horrible c problems which I thought nothing could help. But, I found something called Oxy-Powder that has been a huge help. I bet you can find it if you google it. They do recommend using it to do a thorough cleanse first though, which is no fun to go through, but worth it in my opinion. Gets rid of all those toxins,

Sara

#28 razzle51

razzle51

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

what kind of Magnisuem tablets powder ????

#29 Constantly Glutenized

Constantly Glutenized

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

After going gluten-free 4 years ago, my years of explosive diahrea are over but now am experiencing constant constipation. It seems like I can only go every 2-3 days. I know the answer is fiber and I must not be getting enough in my diet so am looking for a laxative that is gluten-free and will not cause explosions! I drink lots of water so that is not the problem.... Any help out there for a laxative that is gentle and will work.... I sound like some kind of a commercial!!!

Hi Sparkles. Sounds like you need to start a priobiotic. I take Align and its done wonders to the overall intensity of the symptoms. You still get them but they are now manageable. Ive tried knock offs because honestly Align is not Cheap, but always seem to go back to it as the others just dont manage the symptoms as well. Good luck!

#30 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Hi Sparkles. Sounds like you need to start a priobiotic. I take Align and its done wonders to the overall intensity of the symptoms. You still get them but they are now manageable. Ive tried knock offs because honestly Align is not Cheap, but always seem to go back to it as the others just dont manage the symptoms as well. Good luck!

You know you are responding to someone who asked this question in 2006? Very few people are still around the forum after 7 years

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: