10 replies to this topic

#1 kabowman

kabowman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:15 AM

OK, my last two options locally for dairy/gluten free milk were: West Soy plain rice milk and Pacific Foods hazlenut milk are now OUT. They make me sick and everything else locally has soy or vanilla in them.

Any suggestions? My local store does not carry Pacific Foods Plain Rice milk - OH - I have some of Vance's but haven't made it yet so really, I have one more to try - but if that doesn't work, then what.

I am not worried about baking, I will just use water instead which I tried last night with my chebe bread and it didn't make me sick, yea!, I don't have to give up my bread. However, what can you suggest I use on cereals I eat occasionally to give hubby a break from making eggs every day.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:26 AM

OH - I have some of Vance's but haven't made it yet so really, I have one more to try - but if that doesn't work, then what.

Nothing! Vance's is the bestest! :D

- Vincent -

#3 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:30 AM

Here is a recipe I found online. The recipes I have in cookbooks includes cashews.

Rice Milk Recipe

Submitted to the Allergies Forum by MANGO333
1 cup hot, cooked rice (white or brown)
4 cups hot water
Pinch of salt (optional)
Sweetener to taste (if desired)
Vanilla to taste (if desired)

Put in blender (in batches if necessary). Process until creamy. Strain. Discard solids.

Store rice milk in jar in fridge. Shake before using. Keeps 3 - 4 days.

I personally didn't do well with the Vance's and got a headache after drinking it. :(

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#4 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:32 AM

Cool - thanks and should be a nice alternative to Vance's if I end up with problems to that too.

I used to make my own soy milk before I realized that I can't have soy.
-Kate

Other Intolerances:
Nitrates (April 2006)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:15 AM

I have to agree with Vincent--Vance's is really good. It has a consistancy closer to real milk. I'm very sensitive, and react terribly to rice and soy milks. I can use almond milk, but the flavor is a little too strong for use in many things. Vance's adapts well to any situation--try it :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:58 AM

I have to agree with Vincent--Vance's is really good. It has a consistancy closer to real milk. I'm very sensitive, and react terribly to rice and soy milks. I can use almond milk, but the flavor is a little too strong for use in many things. Vance's adapts well to any situation--try it :D

Patti :lol:

You just peeked my interest in trying Vance's. Knowing you are also a super sensitive and you do fine with it, I might give it a try.

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:45 AM

Patti :lol:

You just peeked my interest in trying Vance's. Knowing you are also a super sensitive and you do fine with it, I might give it a try.

Julie--Yes, give it a try! I use it in recipes like scalloped and mashed potatoes, to make ice cream, cocoa, and dry as a creamer in my tea! I buy it 3 cartons at a time, and it lasts quite a while. (It comes dry and you reconstitute it with water). I sound like a commercial for them sometimes, but it really did fill a void for me in terms of what I can eat. If you haven't seen it, here is a link--

http://www.vances.co...n...odID=6&HS=1

How've you been? :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:21 AM

You can also make your own nut milks. Tons of recipes on the web.

#9 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:15 PM

Julie--Yes, give it a try! I use it in recipes like scalloped and mashed potatoes, to make ice cream, cocoa, and dry as a creamer in my tea! I buy it 3 cartons at a time, and it lasts quite a while. (It comes dry and you reconstitute it with water). I sound like a commercial for them sometimes, but it really did fill a void for me in terms of what I can eat. If you haven't seen it, here is a link--

http://www.vances.co...n...odID=6&HS=1

How've you been? :)

Thanks so much for this link!

#10 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

I've used coconut milk for cereal and baking and it works well. YOu have to like the taste of coconut, though, which I do. I usually water it down because often the canned coconut milk is a bit too thick for my taste.

Also, I've used fruit juice on my cereal before. It's really pretty good this way. Certainly different.
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#11 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 04:51 AM

Thanks for all these great suggestions - I have been afraid to try my vance's because I am so sensitive. Thanks!!!! And if that doesn't work, I can make my own rice (I don't really have too many nuts left so I think we will stay away from those for now).

I am not a big fan of coconut but I wasn't a big fan of soymilk when I started with that either - it may just take me some time to adjust if it gets that far!
-Kate

Other Intolerances:
Nitrates (April 2006)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: