This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gain Weight On Gluten-free Foods? Is This Possible?

blondeambition

blondeambition Newbie

I've lost a fair bit of weight while battling with my celiac disease recently. Now that I'm on a gluten-free diet and sticking to it, I'm feeling alot better--but I don't know how to gain back the weight I've lost. I'm going to try to eat more icecream and butter, and other fatty foods...but I can only eat sooo much before I'm sick of them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for foods to eat that will help me put some weight back on?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DrMom Apprentice

I lost 30 lbs right before my DX of celiac. I did NOT have it to spare. So now I am drinking Ensure everyday inbetween meals. It is gluten free. I also enjoy a candy bar everyday. Splurge, I guess, but it also helps treat the sweet tooth. I am 5'4" tall and only weigh 104 so really small. I also must put some weight back on and the best thing is to remail gluten FREE.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Eat more calories than you expend, and you'll gain weight. It doesn't just have to be ice cream, avocados, nuts, and oils, though those have a high calorie density. Rice, beans, eggs, meat, dairy (if you can have it), fruits, and vegetables all help.

blondeambition Newbie

Thanks y'all...those are some good ideas:) I'm drinking Boost once a day right now. It's just hard to eat enough to store more calories than I burn....I'll have to keep working on this:D

CarlaB Enthusiast

I ate constantly to gain my weight back. I spent a weekend with a friend of mine who was on a diet and counting calories. She told me I was eating at least 3500 calories per day. I looked for calorie dense food ... basically reversed all the rules of dieting to lose weight.

mart Contributor

Coconut milk, condensed milk and macadamia nuts are extremely fattening. Also, all ice-creams are not created equal. Haagen Daz is the most fattening one I've ever found (about twice the fat of other ice-creams).

P.S. Don't worry too much if you don't gain right away. From experience, I can tell you that your metabolism may be to blame, and not necessarily your celiac. But one thing is for sure, the weight will eventually come.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I was down to 80 some pounds when I was diagnosed and I am up to about 113 now. When you are gluten free your body starts absorbing the nutrients again so you can put on the weight. Coconut oil and milk, peanut butter, nuts, and those kinda of things can really add up the calories. I used to make smoothies and put alot of coconut oil and sunflower seeds in them for calories. I could easily make a 600-800 smoothie.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Don't worry too much about your weight right now, but concentrate on making sure you're 100% gluten-free. Once your intestines heal and you start absorbing your nutrients again, you'll gain weight eventually. Snack a lot (it's called 'grazing') all through the day, on things that are good for you. Ice cream is high in sugar and not such a great idea all the time. Coconut oil (only the cold pressed kind) is extremely healthy, but expensive.

Don't use the coconut oil sold in regular grocery stores, it is not good for you. You need to use the oil sold in health food stores to get the kind with all the amazing health benefits. It will have about the same consistency as butter, meaning, it will have to be quite warm to be liquid. It is perfect for cooking, but won't work in salads, unless heated. If it's liquid at regular room temperature, it has been hydrogenated, which makes it a poison for your body (and that goes for all oils).

Coconut oil (as well as butter) stays stable at high heat and won't lose it's health benefits when heated, unlike most oils. It is one of the saturated fats that is considered a health supplement even.

eKatherine Rookie
Don't use the coconut oil sold in regular grocery stores, it is not good for you. You need to use the oil sold in health food stores to get the kind with all the amazing health benefits. It will have about the same consistency as butter, meaning, it will have to be quite warm to be liquid. It is perfect for cooking, but won't work in salads, unless heated. If it's liquid at regular room temperature, it has been hydrogenated, which makes it a poison for your body (and that goes for all oils).

Hydrogenated coconut oil has a higher melting point than unhydrogenated coconut oil, so it will be solid year round no matter where you live. If you find a coconut oil that is liquid at room temperature year round, it is fractionated, or chemically broken into smaller molecular fragments. I doubt you'll find this in any sort of a food store. I buy it from a soap and perfume-making supply company for cosmetic purposes.

I've never seen hydrogenated coconut oil for sale anywhere. If you do find it, it should be labeled as such. Coconut oil I buy is liquid in the summer (no a/c here) and hard and lumpy in the winter.

Virgin coconut oil comes in two types: one is pressed at a warm temperature from fresh coconut, the other is pressed from dried copra. The first should taste like fresh coconut. The second may taste like the wood smoke that came from the fire it was dried over. Unfortunately, they are both labeled "virgin".

Open Original Shared Link has a good reputation for quality products, and a website that is very informative about coconut oil and other products that they sell.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, I HAVE seen hydrogenated coconut oil, in fact, I've seen it in my grocery store! But somehow I managed to get things backward in my post. You're right, if it's hydrogenated it is very hard at room temperature, and if it's cold pressed it will be semi liquid when it's warm, but firmer when it's cool.

Elisa Newbie

I was diagnosed w/biopsy 3 years ago and have been on a gluten free diet since. Before I was diagnosed, I weighed 93 lbs and am 5' 8" tall. Initially gaining weight was difficult as there were other issues to deal with (i.e. anemia, etc.) I received iron injections to deal with anemia since oral iron was not absorbed. Today iron can be done by IV. Along with staying on a strict gluten-free diet, I drank Boost twice a day after checking with my GI's dietician. It took time, but I slowly gained weight. I now weigh 127 lbs. and actually have to be a bit careful about calorie intake or I continue to gain. Be patient and consistent. Even though you are tired, try to exercise (walk, etc.) since this stimulates appetite and also helps you to gain muscle weight (just have to find a balance so you aren't burning too many calories while getting exercise.) Instead of trying to consume 3 large meals, try eating 5 small meals throughout the day, if your schedule allows.

queenofhearts Explorer
I was diagnosed w/biopsy 3 years ago and have been on a gluten free diet since. Before I was diagnosed, I weighed 93 lbs and am 5' 8" tall. Initially gaining weight was difficult as there were other issues to deal with (i.e. anemia, etc.) I received iron injections to deal with anemia since oral iron was not absorbed. Today iron can be done by IV. Along with staying on a strict gluten-free diet, I drank Boost twice a day after checking with my GI's dietician. It took time, but I slowly gained weight. I now weigh 127 lbs. and actually have to be a bit careful about calorie intake or I continue to gain. Be patient and consistent. Even though you are tired, try to exercise (walk, etc.) since this stimulates appetite and also helps you to gain muscle weight (just have to find a balance so you aren't burning too many calories while getting exercise.) Instead of trying to consume 3 large meals, try eating 5 small meals throughout the day, if your schedule allows.

Your note about exercise reminded me to mention weight-lifting. Easiest way to add muscle mass without burning off tons of calories. I recommend the Slow Burn technique-- less chance of injury, very effective.

Leah

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Your note about exercise reminded me to mention weight-lifting. Easiest way to add muscle mass without burning off tons of calories. I recommend the Slow Burn technique-- less chance of injury, very effective.

Leah

i had same problem, started weightilifting and it helped , not little ones big ones to add muscle , low weights will only add tone. muscle weighs quite a bit..

queenofhearts Explorer
i had same problem, started weightilifting and it helped , not little ones big ones to add muscle , low weights will only add tone. muscle weighs quite a bit..

It's not the size of the weight per se that adds mass, but the total exhaustion of the muscle. You are right that light weights & hi reps won't do much good. But look into Slow Burn for a safe way to use lower weights intensely to add muscle mass. It has really helped me avoid injury as I used to suffer now & then when handling the very heavy weights.

Leah

Archived