This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sensetive ?

taz sharratt

taz sharratt Enthusiast

woke uthis morning feeling a bit sicky, shruged it off but by the afternoon had D and bad belly withdizzyness(never had that b4), shaking, felt like i was going to throw( again never had that) brain fog. it was awfull. never felt as abd as that b4 was wondering if it was a side effect of beging gluten-free, whether you can get a sort of hyper sensetivity to gluten cos you are not haveing it in your diet anymore, went back to yesterday to remember what i ate and i know i didnt eat G the only thing i can think of was CC but that leaves me being quite sensetive, quite upset cos i really been makeing effort with this new diet and i fell worse now than b4. has anyone else had this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'm much more sensitive now.

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I'm much more sensitive now.

carla i feel realy bad today, im really emotional with it and i feel like im gonna burst in to tears. never felt this bad ever b4, its like the symptoms have trebled in severity.

CarlaB Enthusiast
carla i feel realy bad today, im really emotional with it and i feel like im gonna burst in to tears. never felt this bad ever b4, its like the symptoms have trebled in severity.

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. It does get miserable sometimes. I got much more sensitive after going gluten-free and feel like you do when I get glutened. After 5 months of this, I've learned so much and it doesn't happen very often anymore. Be sure you're getting enough fluids because dehydration will make it worse. Hugs, Carla

BTW, I found after four months that I could not tolerate dairy. I kept thinking I was getting glutened by cc, but it ended up being the dairy. You may have another intolerance that's just starting to show up now that you're getting somewhat better. You might keep a food diary to see if it's something other than the gluten.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I had a very bad tummy several days ago. I thought I might've been glutened, but it could've been that the gluten-free pancakes I had eaten (Cravings Place) were so sticking to the pan, that I had to use copious amounts of coconut oil. I think I greased myself out. Not to mention I hardly ever eat pancakes (never, now) and also had strawberries, a bit acid for my brekkers.

I know it's probably different - it didn't last more than a couple hours - but I don't think it was gluten. I just lay down and held perfectly still for a couple hours and it faded, thankfully.

Good luck. I hope you feel better!

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. It does get miserable sometimes. I got much more sensitive after going gluten-free and feel like you do when I get glutened. After 5 months of this, I've learned so much and it doesn't happen very often anymore. Be sure you're getting enough fluids because dehydration will make it worse. Hugs, Carla

BTW, I found after four months that I could not tolerate dairy. I kept thinking I was getting glutened by cc, but it ended up being the dairy. You may have another intolerance that's just starting to show up now that you're getting somewhat better. You might keep a food diary to see if it's something other than the gluten.

i am dairy intolernt, it was diagnosed together so im pretty carefull about the 2 of them. although i get a bit confused about the casien, i know its the protien but i still dont know if its safe for me so i stay clear. feeling better today and by 9pm was a whole lt better. think i might have a go at cutting wheat out too, i generally try to but am not so careful about it as the G but i think it will pay to from now on. it really shook me up tho cos i never had a reaction like that b4 and it scared me, i was really frightend.

aikiducky Apprentice

I'm a bit confused that you say you might cut out wheat, too? Gluten is in wheat, I don't see how you could have had anything with wheat without glutening yourself?

I hope you feel better soon!

Pauliina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast
I'm a bit confused that you say you might cut out wheat, too? Gluten is in wheat, I don't see how you could have had anything with wheat without glutening yourself?

Pauliina

I think in Europe they think wheat starch is okay. Taz, I'd cut out the wheat for sure. I got glutened off charcoal last Sunday. Charcoal has wheat starch in it. I cooked at home, so the charcoal was the only thing it could have been.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
I think in Europe they think wheat starch is okay. Taz, I'd cut out the wheat for sure. I got glutened off charcoal last Sunday. Charcoal has wheat starch in it. I cooked at home, so the charcoal was the only thing it could have been.

What do you mean you were G'd by charcoal - did you eat it? or you mean cooking over it? Do I have to avoid BBQing my salmon?

ebrbetty Rising Star

we use gluten-free charcol

CarlaB Enthusiast
What do you mean you were G'd by charcoal - did you eat it? or you mean cooking over it? Do I have to avoid BBQing my salmon?

Yea, I cooked over it. There's a thread that was posted this week about charcoal, you could search if you wanted to see it. Apparently, charcoal has wheat starch, so we need to use natural charcoal, or I would assume that a gas grill would be okay. I didn't get as sick as I normally do, but I have a very itchy rash on my scalp ... I'm going to set up an appt. with a dermatologist, hopefully he can see me before it's gone. I'd like to get it biopsied.

taz sharratt Enthusiast

Pauliina

i was allways told that you could be ok with wheat if your G but some people do have intolerance to it which i think is probable. ive cut out wheat now but its difficult here cos they will label things here gluten-free but they could contain wheat, they dont consider wheat to be gluten. its very confuseing. im not sure im getting this right but hopefully someone from the uk will see this thread and put me on the straight and narrow.

queenofhearts Explorer

Oh dear, no, no, no! Wheat ALWAYS means gluten though gluten doesn't always mean wheat.

I'm not sure about UK labelling, but I'm 100% sure that wherever you are, if there is wheat in anything it cannot by definition be gluten-free.

In the US if it says gluten-free, it doesn't always say wheat-free, but it is by definition. Whereas if it only says wheat-free, it could still have barley, rye or oats, thus not be gluten-free.

Whoever gave you the info that wheat is okay is a very unreliable source; I'd steer clear in the future!

Leah

CarlaB Enthusiast

My understanding is that in the UK the gluten-free products are not necessarily gluten-free. They are labeled that way based on parts per million. Here in the states, so far, gluten-free means no gluten. Stay away from anything with wheat as it just means it has less gluten, not no gluten -- it meets the parts per million requirements there. I know I personally have zero tolerance, so I wouldn't want something with merely a low gluten level, I want NO gluten.

aikiducky Apprentice

Taz,

here's the deal: Gluten is the protein in wheat, barley and rye. Starch is not protein but, well, starch. Those are two differents stuffs that make up wheat.

NOT ALL wheat starch is considered gluten free, only wheat starch that is produced to a certain standard, where the starch has been separated from the gluten well enough that there's only a very small amount of gluten left. It's not completely free of gluten but the amounts are so small that some people consider it safe. It's not safe for me for example, I do get sick from it. It's certainly not healthy to just eat something that has ordinary wheat starch in it, that will make you sick for sure! You should avoid everything that has wheat as an ingredient.

If you want to be sure that you're gluten free, you should avoid gluten free products that have wheat starch as an ingredient. You can still have the other gluten free products, funnily enough the standard for those is quite strict. Don't have the numbers right here though.

Hope this made it a bit clearer!

BTW - what is the standard for "gluten free" on labels in the US?

Pauliina

taz sharratt Enthusiast
My understanding is that in the UK the gluten-free products are not necessarily gluten-free. They are labeled that way based on parts per million. Here in the states, so far, gluten-free means no gluten. Stay away from anything with wheat as it just means it has less gluten, not no gluten -- it meets the parts per million requirements there. I know I personally have zero tolerance, so I wouldn't want something with merely a low gluten level, I want NO gluten.

carla im so confused ( scartching my head ) think im gonna stay away from wheat as a DEF but our labelling is wierd im sure, back to the drawing board of reading the ingrediants and everything from scratch. thanx for the advice everyone its really helpfull.

Archived