This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened By Wendys Again!

Guest AutumnE

Guest AutumnE

I ate a wendys baked potato with broccoli and cheese and a large chili today and its so obvious I have been glutened. It did it the last time I went but I thought it might have been something else that day and dismissed it. I am sick of this and I'm ready to quit eating out. I'm so sick of diarrhea and it literally happens all day afterward!! I know it was from there because I havent eaten anything else all day.

I'm done with eating out :angry: Sorry for the rant, Im trying to get healthy for our next baby in the future and this isnt helping.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Autumn--I'm sorry you got glutened :( I avoid Wendy's now, too. The last time I ate there, they really tried. The manager, a lovely woman, came over and fixed everything herself--and I watched the whole thing. I had a baked potato--uncut into, and a plain burger in a plate. It all looked fine, but I got sick afterwards. There is just a high risk of CC at fast food places.

Guest AutumnE

Thanks Patti :)

I'm fairly new to this so its hard realizing that I cant eat out anymore and no family functions unless there is plain fruit. I have never been prepared early for food except my dd's so I guess I need to get in more of a routine and be consistent about always having things available and with me.

Im sorry you have gotten it there before too.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP EATING OUT...JUST NOT WENDY'S.

I ATE THERE WITH THE BURGER/LETTUCE/TOMATO ON BLACK PLATE AND B/POTATO

DID IT 7 TIMES AND THE 8TH ''''BINGO''' WON'T GO AGAIN.

DO YOU HAVE A RED ROBBIN NEAR YOU... ?

www.rrobbin.com

ck it out.

judy

May9 Rookie

I know what you mean about giving up on eating out at least at fast food places. Whenever I must eat out because of time constraints or a sudden need for quick carbs I always go for the salads with grilled chicken. I have never been glutened by Arby's or Wendy's salads. I only get the grilled chicken salads with lite italian dressing. Arby's is my favorite because they put fruit in their salads. I also get Wendy's mandarine orange or fruit cup with yogurt but of course without the granola. When I must go to McDonald's I get their fruit parfait without granola. All of which have never glutened me and still satisfy my hunger when busy or on the road.

But we all must be careful and have different tolerant levels. I am extremely sensitive to any wheat-gluten and must be careful about CC. I don't get diarhhea but have severe crippling stomach pain and constipation for at 3-4 days depending on the amount of wheat I ingested.

I hope your feeling better.

Does anybody know of a good way to lessen effects of being "glutened" when I accidently get something I shouldn't?

plantime Contributor

I eat at Wendy's all the time with no problem. I do not ever eat the chili, though. Too much chance of flour being used for a thickener.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
I eat at Wendy's all the time with no problem. I do not ever eat the chili, though. Too much chance of flour being used for a thickener.

FYI,

Wendy's restaurants do not have "flour" in the builidng. Their buns come pre-packaged. Furthermore, their chili is prepackaged and they add meat to it. They do not add flour to their chili (according to their corporate office).

I have never been glutened by the chili (I have been glutened by their fries).

I usually get a large chili with cheese and baked potato with butter.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast
FYI,

Wendy's restaurants do not have "flour" in the builidng. Their buns come pre-packaged. Furthermore, their chili is prepackaged and they add meat to it. They do not add flour to their chili (according to their corporate office).

I have not had a gluten problem with the chili either. I do, however, sometimes get a bit gassy and crampy when I eat beans ... not just Wendy's chili, even ones I make at home, so I know they are difficult for my tender stomach to digest. Doesn't stop me from eating them though. I always tell myself that normal people have this problem sometimes with beans, too.

Lister Rising Star

the awful truth behind most wendys chili

this is not a myth, i have ceveral friends that work at diffrent wendys around my town and the same goes for all of there stores

If they make a burger wrong, the remove the meat and put it into a heated drawer, to use in there next batch of chili, so if that burger gets some crumbs on it, gets chopped up and put into that chili, if you get the wrong bite BLAm your glutened. I have had the chili 3 times the first 2 times i was fine the last time i got glutened.

as far as the bakedpotatoes go, in general they should be safe, but wendys does not require glove changes peridocly so those gloves have tuched everything before they tuch that potatoe

the awful truth behind most wendys chili

this is not a myth, i have ceveral friends that work at diffrent wendys around my town and the same goes for all of there stores

If they make a burger wrong, the remove the meat and put it into a heated drawer, to use in there next batch of chili, so if that burger gets some crumbs on it, gets chopped up and put into that chili, if you get the wrong bite BLAm your glutened. I have had the chili 3 times the first 2 times i was fine the last time i got glutened.

as far as the bakedpotatoes go, in general they should be safe, but wendys does not require glove changes peridocly so those gloves have tuched everything before they tuch that potatoe

In all honesty, I have never seen this to be the case.

I have eaten at Wendy's numerous times and never gotten glutened from the chili.

Furthermore, in almost every Wendy's you can see them make the food. In the times I have witnessed them "screw up" my hamburger (i.e. putting the bun on it), they have always thrown out that burger and made a fresh one. Additionally, "saving" the burgers in a "warmer" is a health code violation. Also, using burgers in the chili that are mistakes is a separate health code violation. I'm pretty sure adding any "old" burgers to the chili is also a health code violation.

If you believe that is the case, you should report them to the Health Department ASAP and you should contact Wendy's corporate office.

I do think it is an "isolated" incidents as I have seen them throw away the burgers when I eat there.

Lister Rising Star

its not a health code violation around here. I work at burger king, all of are meats are kept in heating trays for up to 30 minutes and if a custmor orders a burger withen that time they are taken from the tray and then made into food, and even there i have seen employs put meat back if they mess up

and as for the chili i have seen it first hand at the wendys right next to my work. i see it from the employe perspective not the consumer.( i unfortunatly have been working fast food for about 5 years of my life now)

its not a health code violation around here. I work at burger king, all of are meats are kept in heating trays for up to 30 minutes and if a custmor orders a burger withen that time they are taken from the tray and then made into food, and even there i have seen employs put meat back if they mess up

and as for the chili i have seen it first hand at the wendys right next to my work. i see it from the employe perspective not the consumer.( i unfortunatly have been working fast food for about 5 years of my life now)

Lister,

Burgers that have already been made ( put in a bun or dressed) and then set aside for reuse is a health code violation.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I do not trust Wendy's after the frosty crap.

Melzo Rookie

I personally stay away from fast-food joints altogether. It saves me a lot of aggrevation (and tummy aches). Since I have been diagnosed (August 05) I have not stepped foot into a fast-food place and am still living without it. :)

CarlaB Enthusiast
I personally stay away from fast-food joints altogether. It saves me a lot of aggrevation (and tummy aches). Since I have been diagnosed (August 05) I have not stepped foot into a fast-food place and am still living without it. :)

I agree. I only go if I'm in a bind -- this was back when I lived out in the country and would have to drive 20 minutes home just to eat. Since I've been in the city, Chick-fil-a chicken salad is the only fast food I've had.

Guest AutumnE

Thanks everyone :)

I havent ate out since and I'm not sure I'm going too, except if I'm in a bind. We live in a very small farm town so the only places available are wendys, mcdonalds and a few other local restaurants. Oh well, its probably healthier for me anyways I should look at it like that.

My grandpa use to work in restaurants and he refused to eat in one to the day he died because he was so disgusted how food was handled. For most of his life he only ate fruit, fresh vegetables and meat because of gi issues. I question if he had celiac disease also.

I just hate the feeling and right now I'm not willing to risk it. I'm sick of being a hermit because of stomach upset and being so tired.

Autumn :)

Ashley Enthusiast

Wow. So many people are naive to think that EVERY single person follow through with work policy. There are lazy workers out there who will toss the meat right back in the tray after messing up. Sorry, I don't care what anyone says. I know people do it.

EDIT: The only way to be safe is basically avoid all fast-food chains, unless you see that workers follow through and clean frying baskets, use fresh and unCCed meat. Otherwise, you're taking a risk.

-Ash

jacklyn1981 Newbie

wendy's has been my saviour since i have had celiac....i have no prob with the chili or baked potatoes

tiffjake Enthusiast
FYI,

I get the exact same things and have never been sick from it. I think it depends on the Wendy's. Someone on here said that their friend worked there and they would throw a burger patty in that they had messed up (putting ketchup on it when it was ordered w/o ketchup).

And I have checked at "my" wendy's, and I check others when I am traveling, and the spice/dry mix that they use had corn starch in it, not flour. There should never be flour in it!!!!

Thanks everyone :)

I havent ate out since and I'm not sure I'm going too, except if I'm in a bind. We live in a very small farm town so the only places available are wendys, mcdonalds and a few other local restaurants. Oh well, its probably healthier for me anyways I should look at it like that.

My grandpa use to work in restaurants and he refused to eat in one to the day he died because he was so disgusted how food was handled. For most of his life he only ate fruit, fresh vegetables and meat because of gi issues. I question if he had celiac disease also.

I just hate the feeling and right now I'm not willing to risk it. I'm sick of being a hermit because of stomach upset and being so tired.

Autumn :)

I really understand your feeling, but I just want to suggest that if there is a place that you want to go, then go and get to know the staff and let them get to know you! I go to the Outback in my town atleast once a week. They have a gluten-free menu there, and the staff (over the last 6 months) has come to know me by name, and I them. The managers all know me, and my orders, and make things special and very carefully! I got sick the first couple of time that I went in, and they were very sorry, and promised to work with me to understand what to be careful of. I kept going back, but I ALWAYS asked for the manager, and for things to be handeled in a way that made me feel safe about eating there (I was VERY picky about how things were to be prepared and handeled) and now I am confident that they are watching out for me. I hope that you can find a place like that. I know that things happen everywhere, and I might get sick there again one day, but for the last couple of months, they have been perfect and have really gone out of there way for me! I went tonight, FRIDAY NIGHT, and the manager made my salad herself and took time to talk to me about what I wanted to order and how they would handle it seperate from other's food. I was very impressed since it is FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!

lindalee Enthusiast

where have I been? What was the frostie episode? LLee

Lister Rising Star
Lister,

Burgers that have already been made ( put in a bun or dressed) and then set aside for reuse is a health code violation.

does not meen that people dont do it, fast food workers are lazy, they get paid very little, and have no emotion for there job, all they care about is getting the food out and not getting yelled at, i have seem some really bad stuff from 3 diffrent fast food reasturants, that would have there doors closed in seconds so just because it may be a violation does not meen it does not happen. one fairly extreme example

(tacobell) so me and my friends are chilling drinking and smoking when tacobell calls, they ask for everyone there to come in and help them close(only 2 of them work for taco bell) so we all show up poop faced, and there is literarly piles of dishs ON THE FLOOR, they take a hose to it and then put them away no soap just a hose. then 2 of the employes (one manager, one employe) go into the office and shut the door, next thing you know you can here panting and moaning coming from the office, 3 of the other employs step into the freezer to smoke bowls and then everyone makes all the food they want and so on and so on... after this night i never ate at tacobell again

CarlaB Enthusiast
does not meen that people dont do it, fast food workers are lazy, they get paid very little, and have no emotion for there job, all they care about is getting the food out and not getting yelled at, i have seem some really bad stuff from 3 diffrent fast food reasturants, that would have there doors closed in seconds so just because it may be a violation does not meen it does not happen. one fairly extreme example

(tacobell) so me and my friends are chilling drinking and smoking when tacobell calls, they ask for everyone there to come in and help them close(only 2 of them work for taco bell) so we all show up poop faced, and there is literarly piles of dishs ON THE FLOOR, they take a hose to it and then put them away no soap just a hose. then 2 of the employes (one manager, one employe) go into the office and shut the door, next thing you know you can here panting and moaning coming from the office, 3 of the other employs step into the freezer to smoke bowls and then everyone makes all the food they want and so on and so on... after this night i never ate at tacobell again

I was always uncomfotable at Taco Bell after the one near my MIL's got in trouble for ummm, poop in the beans. It put many in the hospital. I always wondered how this could have happened, but after this story, it all makes sense. It put several in the hospital, it's not an urban legend -- according to my BIL, anyway.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I won't eat at Wendy's or any fast food place.

olalisa Contributor
I do not trust Wendy's after the frosty crap.

What is the frosty crap? I'm a newbie and I'm dying to know!

CarlaB Enthusiast
What is the frosty crap? I'm a newbie and I'm dying to know!

I don't know either ... of course, I can't have them anyway!

Archived