This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Infertility

Roxyk

Roxyk Newbie

I was just diagnosed last week & have been "suffering" with unexplained infertility. After I mentioned to my gyn that my dad had it she had me get tested. She now seems to think being on the diet, plus Clomid will help us have the baby we really want.

Any one else have this problem?

• 2 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ponita Newbie

Roxyk,

You wrote in the back in June, what's up? Are you feeling better being gluten-free and where are you with the hope os having a baby?

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...
Roxyk Newbie

We are still trying. We are on our 5th round of Clomid, but the last time it actually looked like it was working, so we hope this is the dose & soon will be pregnant.

I just started going to a new accupuncturist. She understood all about celiac, and said I may be feeling better, but I'm not better yet. My "digestive system is whacked".

So basically, still hoping & praying.

ponita Newbie

Roxyk,

You have a very close spot in my heart. My husband and I looked at starting Clomid. We chose at the time not to take meds because I was so sick that we were concerned that a pregnacy would be too much for my body.

I don't know how old you are but I sure hope things work out the way you hope for.

We were blessed to have adopt a beautiful baby boy the day after my 39th birthday! He's turing 9 soon and a true treasure in our lives.

Roxyk, I wish you to the very best, from my heart to yours.

Melissa

Roxyk Newbie

Thank you so much Melissa.

I'm 36 soon to be 37. All of my doctors & my husband are so optomistic. I try to be, but some days it's hard. We have decided if Clomid doesn't work we will adopt.

• 2 months later...
Agee Newbie

I completely understand the need to try to conceive, but I wanted to share the fabulous happy success story of adopting our son, Jamie, last September. I had had 5 miscarriages in 20 months, had been on various fertility drugs, and my husband and I were stressed and sad - but the day we made the decision to adopt to grow our family all of that melted away! I felt like we were finally doing something productive instead of simply spinning our wheels.

So good luck to you whichever way you go - it always heartens me when people consider adoption as an option.

Adrienne

• 1 month later...
2new2celiacs Newbie

I too was diagnosed whith unexplained infertility. This was after 6 cycles of clomid, 6 cycles of artificial insemintaions, endscopic surgery to remove scar tissue from my fallopian tubes adn a cycle of gonal-f shots adn artificial inem. I have to be some what grateful in a way due to the fact this and all the stomach troubles etc. led to my diag. of celiacs. Now we are hoping if can just stick to the gluten-free diet all will wor out on it's own.

my husband and I are in our 30's and would really love to have a child of our own and are also researching adoption.

Thank you for messages, it is nice to know there are others who are understanding my grief.

-Sarah ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Roxyk Newbie

Hi Sarah, we're on cycle 9 of Clomid. It gets so frustrating, but wow do I feel better being on the diet. I'll never go back to gluten again.

Hang in there & let me know how things go for you!

Merika Contributor

Hi Roxyk,

How is the acupuncture going? There are also chinese herbs that can help prep the body for pregnancy - both for the woman AND the man.

Merika

allisonj-98 Newbie

I never had trouble actually getting pregnant. My problem was staying pregnant. I took progesterone at time of ovulation to maintain my last child's pregnancy. I also had a short luteal phase.

I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome 7 years ago, including insulin resistance and PCOS. I was diagnosed with celiac disease in Sept 04. My doctor feels that they are all connected and that celiac disease is at the root of it.

I am assuming that your doctor has run tests for lack of progesterone, as well as your body's antibodies attacking a fertilized egg?

I hope you find your answers. Fortunately, I never had to go on Clomid...that was the next step. Hang in there.

Allison

Georgia

Roxyk Newbie

I did have all the "tests" done - everything was fine.

Accupuncture is going great - I do the herbs twice per day. They are nasty, but she swears I'm getting better. Some days I think accupuncture is the only thing keeping me sane.

Professor Rookie

Hi,

I finally did it without any drugs! First pregnancy took 4 years to happen, then miscarried; second took 2 years, then another miscarriage; third took 2 years, same ending; fourth took 3 years, miscarriage again . . . then went gluten-free, got pregnant within 2 years and carried to full term! (Did have a hysterectomy after, ovaries too, but hey, I had my baby. It CAN happen.)

Best of luck to you and everyone dealing with this,

Patty

• 2 months later...
Rikki Tikki Explorer

Hi Roxyk:

I just wondered if you got pregnant yet? I thought I would share with you what happened to me. I didn't know about the celiac at the time, but I couldn't get pregnant. I took clomid for 2 1/2 years and finally when we decided to stop taking it because it was putting way to much pressure on us I got pregnant. When she was a year old we decided to try again. Because we thought it would take years again but I got pregnant the first month. Then 15 months after our second was born without taking fertility drugs I had another girl. I never got pregnant again (whew) but didn't take anything to start or stop fertility.

With so much saying celiac will effect fertility it does make me wonder. I hope you got your wish, I remember how painful it was.

• 3 weeks later...
Roxyk Newbie

Hi Sally - thanks for asking. We are now done with Clomid & off to see an RE next month. My TCM dr says I'm getting better every day. But we are not pregnant yet. I've been gluten-free for almost one year now too. If we don't get pregnant in the next 6 months or so, we will move on to adoption. I'm 37 & not getting any younger & I work in a family business, so waiting is not an option since my parents will slowly retire & I will take over eventually.

• 3 weeks later...
heidicoo1 Newbie

Hi Roxy

I was just reading all the past post. I have a 4 yr. old son and we've been trying for #2 since he turned 2.

In the past year at least 10 family members have found out they have celiac disease. (if not full blown then at least the gene to develop it). I was tested and have the gene and some antibodies (stool test.) even though the blood test came back negative. Strange thing is that I have NONE of the typical symptoms. Just secondary infertility. I've read that it can be triggered by pregnancy - so maybe that is what happened.

I've been gluten-free for about a month now and doing accupuncture for about a month too. At least I feel like I'm doing something productive (and affordable - poopy insurance!). Have you read the book "the infertility cure" by Randine Lewis? I'm really enjoying it. They have it at Barnes and Nobel. (oh yeah, I'm also milk free -I had those antibodies too. I think it's the harder of the two!)

I just wanted to wish you all the best and hope this works for both of us!

egardner Newbie

I just want to thank all of the women who posted about adoption. My brothers are adopted (my mom had eclampsia with me and couldnt carry another child after that) and I am so proud to call them part of my family. Often I hear people say they could never love an adopted child as thier own, but they obviously have not tried. Sorry to get mushy, but I am in a pivotal point in my life, as I am in my twenties and my husband and I will be trying to start a family soon, and I am worried about the potential infertility associated with my celiac disease. I just wanted to take a moment to stop and say thank you, for keeping adoption positive and considering it as an option. Without my brothers life would have been so empty.

Eliza13 Contributor

I also have PCOS and high prolactin levels. I do not get my period unless I am on the birth control pill. I am hoping that I will start getting my period with this new diet. I'm really afraid that I might take a long time to heal though b/c I've had this all my life: I was plagued with health problems as a child, had delayed puberty and NEVER had regular periods right from the get go. I read yesterday that high levels of prolactin are an indication of advanced celiac...with greater damage to the villi. Anyone have any advice?? I bought "Ending the vicious Cycle" today and will start it on Sunday. It looks really challenging, but I want to be able to heal my gut as fast as possible.

SKAR

Guest Eloisa

You know it never occurred to me about the prolactin levels. I've had high levels of prolactin throughout my life and have had to use pills to fix it. But I have terrible menstral cycles and have had them all my life and have had to take pills to control my cycle. I was diagnosed with Endometriosis in my twenties and have two children. What I had noticed is that when I started the gluten-free diet other than I felt hungry all the time, i stopped having the prolactin problems. When I added in the Reliv shakes because of the absorbtion of nutrients and vitamins being practically nothing it took my cycle from 8 days to 3.

Eliza13 Contributor

Eloisa,

Isn't it truly astonishing??? The more I learn about celiac, the more all of my health problems make sense to me. The prolactin is a concern, because it indicates higher villi damage. This is all somewhat terrifying, but at least now we can start to heal our bodies. It's like a whole new world awaits...one that I've never known. I have never felt healthy, even as a child. I even had childhood arthritis!!!! I remember it being so bad that I could not get out of bed. It is really frustrating to know that it took all this time to get a diagnosis. Unbelievable. My doc says that I have so many symptoms that a biopsy and blood work is not necessary. Anyone else think they've had this since childhood??

Eliza13 Contributor

What are reliv shakes?

Eliza13 Contributor

You may find this prolactin and celiac link interesting...

Open Original Shared Link

Guest Eloisa

Hey Scarlet,

Reliv it is a nutritional supplement that has every vitamin and mineral you need. The problem with Celiac is that you have trouble absorbing pretty much anything esp. when there is lots of damage to the villi. One of the things my Gasto dr told me when I was diagnosed was that I should look for a liquid vitamin since vit pills barely are absorb into your system. In my search the ones I tried tasted horrible and I felt absolutely nothing. Most had fillers and binders that contained some sort of gluten which is what you have to watch for too. Reliv is different, wherein it absorbs 20 minutes after you drink it. I do 2 or 3 shakes a day and have been doing for over a year and it was the 1st thing that helped me. It's a patented product with high quality ingredients that are manufactured at its headquarters in St. Louis and have been in business since 1988. I initially took for the energy since I was desperate for anything that could help me. And was later introduced to this guy who had celiac and had been taking for 3 years. When I met him I had already decided that I would keep taking since when I forgot my drinks my energy levels would go down and I'd be back in bed again not wanting to do anything. This guy had great results with Reliv (both his sister and mother had celiac disease too and were taking).

Eloisa

• 3 weeks later...
Satori Newbie

Just wondering how your doing? Give your body time to heal. I was dx'd as menopausal at 19, no known reason (symptoms started at 15 but didn't seek help till 19) and was told I would never have a child. Tried all kinds of things and my body would not ovulate or produce hormones. Went though 5 years of infertility, went gluten-free and now all I have to do is look at a guy and get pregnant. Now if only I could stay pregnant! (being checked for clotting disorder) point is, I went from pregnancy was impossible to OMG I cant have sex because I'll get prego! Let your body heal and it will happen:)

• 1 year later...
givingthanx Newbie

Eloisa,

On another thread in this forum, someone said that Reliv is not gluten-free. Is there a specific Reliv product that IS gluten-free?

Thanks

Mary

Archived