#1 Roz

Roz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 09:42 AM

Hello and Happy New Year Fellow Members:
This is my first post and a brief introduction. I hope you’ll excuse any faux pas. I am a mother of 3 and grandmother of 7. My days are also kept very busy as a legal assistant at an intellectual property law firm. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago on my 61st birthday—my all-time best birthday present, ending 60 years of unknown ailments and suffering. I have been doing pretty good since (my symptoms mandate maintaining a 100% gluten-free state), and have learned that (in addition to exercise, diet, etc.) larger amounts of nutritional supplements are needed for good health and energy. My goal for this New Year is to locate an alternative medical practitioner knowledgeable both with Celiac Disease and proper nutritional supplements for maintaining good health. I would appreciate hearing from anyone knowing of such a practitioner in the Albany-Saratoga, New York, area.
Regards,
Roz
P.S.: I have a delicious buckwheat cereal recipe (makes a good replacement for oatmeal or cream of wheat).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2004 - 10:32 AM

Well, please share! Can you post that recipe? I love buckwheat!

No help on the other, I'm a wee bit too far away...

Lisa

#3 Roz

Roz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 02:17 PM

I rushed too much with the first post of this recipe. I apologize!

Modified Cream of Buckwheat Cereal
1 Tablespoon each:
Cream of Buckwheat
Buckwheat Groats
1/3 cup each:
Water (tepid)
Rice/Soy Milk Drink (or substitute)
pinch of salt (optional)
stir
microwave (medium-powered microwave; adjust time if necessary):
3 minutes (50% power)
stir
microwave 3 minutes (50% power)
let sit for 5 minutes
add sugar and lactaid low fat milk (or substitute)
I use Pocono or Pocono Mountain packaged in boxes and labeled gluten free (I’m not sure about buying loose buckwheat).

Edited by Roz, 02 January 2004 - 06:30 AM.

#4 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:41 PM

Thank you so much! I'll try it as soon as I can get those items. :D

#5 mannabbe

mannabbe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 10:58 PM

Roz,
Check out naturopathic.org to find a naturopath in your area that is a member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. Just as MDs vary in expertise, attitude and experience - so do naturopaths. Try to find one that speciaizes in intestinal stuff (perhaps someone at a local celiac group has a recommendation?). I have had wonderful, life changing experiences with naturopaths because they are so knowledgeable in nutrition. Good luck
Laurie

#6 dclark519

dclark519

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:03 PM

Roz, I just wanted to say how fortunate you are to have been diagnosed! The disease is hard but after only 3 weeks on gluten-free diet I feel better than I have in years and years. I read that it's hard to find a dr. that believes in the common saying, we are what we eat. I am finding alot of good food out there , surprisingly! it also helps when you tell yourself that " this is for the rest of my life" so somehow, it tastes better! LOL :D I'm 35 and have felt 90 for years.I thank God daily for my new Dr. the old one just wanted to cover up all symptoms with pills! Good luck and thanks for the recipe.

#7 dclark519

dclark519

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:08 PM

Lisa, if you have a grocery store near you called hyvee or woodmans , they are excellent places for gluten free food. The stuff is pretty expensive, and bobs red mill.com is another fairly affordable place to find alot of stuff. the ingredients seem to last awhile too. last week i had like 4 things here I could eat that weren't fruits or veg. After a trip to woodmans, I have a whole shelf full. It's nice to know there are quite a few foods out there for us to eat. it's a totally different life now! food is everywhere you turn!! ;) good luck

#8 shanmac

shanmac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:57 PM

Hey,

I'm across the country so I can't help you with finding an alternative medicine practitioner, but I wanted to share my experience. I was skeptical about trying acupuncture but I was in such pain from Celiac that I decided to give it a shot. I was lucky enough to find an acupuncturist in my area (Portland, Oregon) who was very familiar with Celiac. She has worked wonders and made this disease so, so much easier to live with. I know many people believe acupuncture doesn't work, but there is no way I could be feeling as good as I feel today with its help. Good for you for seeking alternative medicine- it works wonders!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: