4 replies to this topic

#1 Lorrie

Lorrie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:00 PM

Please tell me what MSG is made from and why as a Celiac we should not have anything with MSG in it?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:59 AM

Last I saw MSG (monosodium glutamate) was ok for celiacs, or at least it was listed on safe list on this sites homepage. In any case, MSG is no good for you anyway, it's basically a chemical, and it's meant to bring out the flavor in foods, sort of the same as salt. It's very high in sodium, and can really comtribute to high blood pressure.

Hope this helps a little.
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#3 Terri-Anne

Terri-Anne

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 01:49 PM

Lorrie,
I too have read in several places that MSG is not acceptable for people with wheat/gluten intolerances. However, when I spoke with my local nutritionist who specializes in the celiac diet, she assured me that MSG was indeed safe. So I am left in the same boat as you, wondering whether it is indeed safe, and wondering why, if it IS safe, I've read that it isn't. I too am confused on this issue.

#4 JsBaby_G

JsBaby_G

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 03:42 PM

I found that same problem, I hear contradictions in our diet everyday. In the end I do what I think is best for me, not everyone is the same. I do know that MSG is okay on the gluten free front, but as stated before not REALLY good for anyone!!
Crystal

#5 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:18 PM

I think that MSG is one of those things that can be made from wheat OR a non-gluten grain (like corn). I suspect that MSG is fine if it is made in the US (where corn is king), but suspect if it comes from another country. I'm not sure about this, though.
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: